PDA

View Full Version : Vertical gardening build 2014

Metrocruiser
11-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi all,

This coming season we are going to build a vertical hydroponic type system along a 8' high x 32' long south facing fence. Hoping to gain about 200 sqft of garden space from about 60sqft along the fence.

Planning to grow lettuce. Bok choy. Green onions. Cilantro. Basil. Cherry toms. Arugula. Any suggestions?
I will post photos as the build progresses.
Id love to be able to upgrade to aquaponics if possible, my wife loves to eat fish.

Has anyone here experimented with vertical?

bacpacker
11-03-2013, 12:45 AM
I like your idea. And I will be following your progress.

I haven't used vertical for very much, other than peas and beans. Both of which worked out ok. I do want to try using vertical next year for cucumbers, some winter squash, and cantaloupes. I have had some issues with squash and cantaloupes rotting or degrading before they get ripe and I think getting them in the air will help with that.

Plus I think picking the veggies without standing on my head is a big plus. Then you have the space savings on top of that.

Del461
11-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Tagged for interest. Cool idea.

ak474u
11-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I like your idea. And I will be following your progress.

I haven't used vertical for very much, other than peas and beans. Both of which worked out ok. I do want to try using vertical next year for cucumbers, some winter squash, and cantaloupes. I have had some issues with squash and cantaloupes rotting or degrading before they get ripe and I think getting them in the air will help with that.

Plus I think picking the veggies without standing on my head is a big plus. Then you have the space savings on top of that.

I'm having a hard time getting my cucumbers and purple beans to grab onto the wire and climb. They're putting out the chutes and wrapping them around each other, just not onto the wire. They have a mind of their own.

bacpacker
11-03-2013, 01:44 PM
You may well have to train them to take the path you want them to. I think once they start growing up, they will continue on their own. Never having used this technique for lots of crops, cucumbers included, I'm not sure.