PDA

View Full Version : Tools, Jigs, & useful things

bacpacker
11-03-2013, 01:46 AM
I am a certified tool whore! With that out of the way, what are some of your favorite tools, jigs, or other useful things for making life easier, quicker, or better?

Here is something I am looking for:

http://www.notechmagazine.com/2011/05/hand-powered-apple-peelers-corers.html

We put up from one to five bushels of apples every year. This ends up being a lot of tedious, time consuming work to prepare the apples for drying, canning, freezing, making apple butter or sauce. And with the trees we have planted getting close to starting to produce, we know we need to figure out something better. We have found a new model peeler, but have already broken one, got a second one but don't think it will last too long either. These older peelers are not to readily available, but can be found in decent condition occasionally in antique stores. That is one product I am on the lookout for.

robsdak
11-03-2013, 03:36 PM
BP, i have a buddy that does the "picker thing". i will have him keep an eye out. thanks for the link... looks neat.

bacpacker
11-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks Bro. My only qualms with that is these peelers are all metal and aren't very light. I bet shipping cost could be close to what the peeler is.

David Armstrong
11-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Have you tried Lehman's? I've been impressed with the quality of everything I've bought from them.

bacpacker
11-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Not recently, certianly not for a peeler.

David Armstrong
11-03-2013, 06:28 PM
They have one that is basically a reincarnation of the old Reading 78 that they make in their shop. It's a bit pricey ($189) but looks like it should last for a long time.
https://www.lehmans.com/p-13-lehmans-own-reading-78-apple-peeler.aspx
They also have some smaller ones at a much lower price, maybe could get a few of them??

eagle326
11-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks Bro. My only qualms with that is these peelers are all metal and aren't very light. I bet shipping cost could be close to what the peeler is.

Hey son ; I only live about 40 minutes away from Lehman's. It's a huge place. Check them out online and if I can help you out let me know.

bacpacker
11-03-2013, 08:21 PM
DA, thanks for the link. Lehmans never crossed my mind for that item. I will check that link out later tonight.

Eagle I will keep you posted. Besides that might end up being a good excuse for a side trip next time we get up north. :)

bacpacker
11-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Here is an item I am considering making as part of my Blacksmith Forge once I get that put together. This is one alternative and a non powered version to boot. This takes more work to use than my other option, a hand crank model would be, but the bellows style has been around for many, many years. I went to a re-enactment this spring and observed a blacksmith using a forge he had made including a large bellows. It worked great and was very useable. Here is the link.

http://www.manaraefan.co.uk/index_files/Page408.htm

bacpacker
11-05-2013, 01:11 AM
One of my favorite wood working tools is a drawknife. Very useful for thinning wood to fit for a certain joint. For example I used my knife for cutting my rafters to fit correctly on my chicken coop. One of my knives was my grandpa's and of course it is my favorite. Here is a video I found on using a drawknife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SEK5t-_LmM

Here is a different model that I don't have yet, but would be very good to carry in the vehicle for use as needed.

http://www.shop.roseantiquetools.net/405a-Winstead-10-folding-drawknife-405a.htm

bacpacker
11-05-2013, 03:41 PM
I was searching for some tools during lunch and found a cool site. They carry a wide range of stuff from wood working tools to timber framing gear to blacksmithing to medical. Most all of it looks to be old. But in fair to good condition. Some maybe better than that. Located in Cinncinati for our ohio crew.

http://www.jimbodetools.com

Del461
11-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Checkout www.leevalley.com out of Canada. A lot of really near stuff. You'll find a lot of things they carry are made south of their border.

Sniper-T
11-05-2013, 11:59 PM
x1000 on Lee Valley. admittedly pricey, but seriously nothing but TOP quality stuff.

That is my drool store!

bacpacker
11-06-2013, 12:24 AM
I love Lee Valley. Great products and they are proud of them.

Del461
11-06-2013, 01:28 AM
My dad lives in Ottawa, he took me to lee valley last time we went up there. Walked around fondling stuff for 2-3 hours. Amazing place.

bacpacker
11-08-2013, 01:14 AM
I had been on the lookout for hi-quality garden tools then a couple years ago I found these hoes. I got the 55F model.

http://www.prohoe.com/field_hoes.html

And a 575G model.

http://www.prohoe.com/garden_hoes.html

The 55F is great for laying out rows and heavy cultivating. The 575G is perfect for weeding chores. These are hands down the best I have ever used. Both of mine I ordered with Hickory handles, but you can get them in fiberglass as well. The blades are all made from Disc blades. They are hard as woodpeckers lips and hold a great edge. I really can't say enough for them and looking at the prices, they have came down some. I may pick up another model or two in the future.

Possom
11-08-2013, 01:59 AM
This doesn't fall exactly into the tool or jig thing but it is a useful thing. It is an all in one steamer/juicer/cooker. I have not invested in one yet. My aunt and uncle have one that they use to make juice for wine making.

With peeled and cored pears or apples, after cooking down the juice you end up with an awesome pulp that makes great apple or pear butter. Juice is already separated out so there is no straining. Saves a lot of time and work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/280786961380?lpid=82

bacpacker
11-08-2013, 10:00 AM
IMO that is absoluutly a tool. The way the wife makes butters and jellies, we may look into one of those.

Possom
11-08-2013, 12:08 PM
They sure save a lot of work. I have helped making juice for wine. The thing I found most impressive is that there is no sediment in the juice when you are done. Sit the juice on a shelf come back a week later and there will not be anything settled in the bottom of the jar. You get pure juice.

I will be investing in one as well before next canning season.

bacpacker
11-13-2013, 11:43 PM
We enjoy watching the show "Life Below zero" based on several families that live in Alaska. There is a new guy on the show this season. He lives alone and does most all his work manually. The last episode we watched he was cutting his firewood, all done with an ax. He commented that he had cut all the standing dead timber within 400 yards of his shack and was going out further to get more.
All that to get to this, while cutting up a tree into smaller logs he could carry back, he broke his ax handle. This brought up the thought, how many folks have spare handles for their tools, hoes, ax's, shovels, hammers, etc.? Further, how many folks have replaced handles in any of their tools?
Again, being a tool whore, I really appreciate high quality tools. I've been looking at different model and brands of ax's recently. What brands do you all favor? Of course you need different sizes for different jobs. What are your favorite models?

bacpacker
11-22-2013, 10:24 PM
As I have discussed before, I want to set up a blacksmith shop to be able to do repairs and make various objects and tools. On that thought I have been looking for something manually operated to use as a blower to force air into the forge to bring the heat up. Recently I have been looking on flea bay and tracking some units. This week I found 4 or 5 units I liked pretty well, so i started bidding. I lost four bids in a row, the last one that had been taken apart cleaned and painted (very nice one). Through this though my favorite was the last one, looks to be in good shape, everything works, and it had a stand with it. Needless to say I was drooling over that one. I won the bid on it. Here is the flea bay page. One more thing to work on this winter.

www.ebay.com/itm/LANCASTER-40-BLACKSMITH-COAL-FORGE-BLOWER-CAST-IRON-TOOL-STAND-ANTIQUE-VTG-/331063507258?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=i01wX3gSdW52y8kspBIHCmenOFY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

eagle326
11-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Your post comes up blank B.P. Was hoping to see it after our chat today. :(

bacpacker
11-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Eagle, try the link again. Hope I got it fixed that time. If not, I will get some pics up once it arrives.

eagle326
11-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Link worked. Sweet deal son ; Hope you get her up and running soon.

bacpacker
11-23-2013, 01:15 AM
I still have some things to figure out with the forge, but this was one of the big parts I was searching for. Hopefully it will fit the plan as I hope it does.

bacpacker
11-26-2013, 01:12 AM
For most of your hand tools you need a good tool chest to store/protect them in.

This video by Roy Underhill, who is my favorite TV craftsman by far, is a good example of a good portable storage chest both for storage locally or to take to job sites. IIRC, all his work is done manually and he is truly a Craftsman. Eagle, I do believe you will enjoy this after our discussion Friday.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2265289533/

bacpacker
12-05-2013, 11:56 PM
I just found this video. It's pretty funny to watch, but i have to say he does damn good work in the end. I love all the manual tools in his shop. You can find the manual drill presses some times, but I have yet to find a treadle lathe anywhere.

Oh well more tools to try and find. :)

eagle326
12-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Oh Hell Yea B.P. Haven't seen that show in years. Going to see if I still get it up here. I believe the station WVIZ carries it. I now have moulding plane envy. :(
Thanks for that video it gives me another learning channel.

Ain't no whore like a tool whore. ;)

bacpacker
12-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Glad I could help Eagle. Roy's show is on the local PBS channel here on Saturdays. Just dawned on me. I should set the DVR and catch his shows.
I thought you would enjoy the planes that guy had after our talk the other day. Although his are all new. Still basically the same as the old style was.

eagle326
12-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Glad I could help Eagle. Roy's show is on the local PBS channel here on Saturdays. Just dawned on me. I should set the DVR and catch his shows.
I thought you would enjoy the planes that guy had after our talk the other day. Although his are all new. Still basically the same as the old style was.

I need to get the 4 I found in the top floor of the garage cleaned up after I get the rest of the mess cleaned up. I want to play with them when I get time and see how they handle and work. Should be fun.

bacpacker
12-08-2013, 03:07 AM
I have been wanting to build a shaving horse for a couple years. Tonight I got a wild hair and found this video on you tube on how to make one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31tSmIcWB1A

bacpacker
12-08-2013, 03:23 AM
Here is the second part of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev8XtoHddXc

Domeguy
12-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Does anyone out there have a Shopsmith, and if so, do you like it. Does it operate as easily and do projects jun a smoothly as they say it does?

eagle326
12-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Does anyone out there have a Shopsmith, and if so, do you like it. Does it operate as easily and do projects jun a smoothly as they say it does?

I don't have one but I studied them years ago when watching them being demonstrated. They take up little space and seemed to work fine for the person. I had considered one but thought about time involved in transforming to different tool set up. While not much time involved ; It was a delay in my thought process of my project.

I'm one who likes to go from one tool to another without delay so as to keep project moving in my mind. I basically know what the next tool is going to need and do without much adjustment. Now this is just me ; I like moving around from tool to tool as each has it's own unique job to do. Now granted my tools take up more space but I've mobilized some of the big ones so I can move them around my work are as needed. Plus if I need to take a certain tool off site I don't have to take the whole machine.

That being said ; A Shopsmith for some people is a good tool as it takes up less space and does a good job for which it was designed. It all boils down to what you want in a woodworking set up and how many different types of projects you want to build. Or maybe it can compliment the other tools you have to extend your woodworking projects.

eagle326
12-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Domeguy
I just checked the price of a Mark 7 model after posting and it was almost $4,000.00
In my opinion I'd look at various tools new and used because you'll probably come out cheaper in the long run. Many of my tools are a combination of new and used and I have an ungodly amount as the wife says. Now these have been bought over the years and still today as I find new toys.

Don't know your situation ; space or projects you have in mind. My thought is maybe you should check one out and try changing set ups if possible to see if it's right for you. Each person has their own way of doing things and I don't want to hinder you in anyway. Shopsmith may work for your needs. Whatever you decide I wish you the best .

bacpacker
12-08-2013, 03:51 PM
DG my stepdad has a ShopSmith that he has used for 15+ years. Pretty much with no issues. Initially that is about all he used. The main machine plus the following attachments bandsaw, scrollsaw, jointer. He has made some really nice furnitue pieces with it and I have made a few. Over the years he purchases a table saw and planner to add to the smithy.

Imo the work has to be planned very closly to minimize set up changes and really figure out your work flow. The shop smith has some unique capabilities but it also has some limitations you will have to deal with. As long as you know that going in and can deal with that it is a nice machine. It is not a production machine though.

As far as price and durability I would buy a Mark 5 used over a new Mark 7. Shop Smith like many other companies have been bought out and squeezed for all the profit they can get. IMO they are much lower quality than the older models were. Best of luck in what ever you choose to go with.

bacpacker
01-04-2014, 10:04 PM
As I have discussed before, I want to set up a blacksmith shop to be able to do repairs and make various objects and tools. On that thought I have been looking for something manually operated to use as a blower to force air into the forge to bring the heat up. Recently I have been looking on flea bay and tracking some units. This week I found 4 or 5 units I liked pretty well, so i started bidding. I lost four bids in a row, the last one that had been taken apart cleaned and painted (very nice one). Through this though my favorite was the last one, looks to be in good shape, everything works, and it had a stand with it. Needless to say I was drooling over that one. I won the bid on it. Here is the flea bay page. One more thing to work on this winter.

Well there is a long story behind the blower I mentioned above. Short story, the total package was going to cost more to ship than I paid for the blower. So it got cancelled. New years eve I was crusing ebay again and found one I had marked to watch and found it only had 6 minutes to go. I won that one and had free shipping to boot. It was delivered today. I got it unpacked and on the bench. and took a few pics. I will get them posted up soon.
Overall this looks like a nicer blower than the other one. It just needs a good cleaning and greasing. Then it is time to make a mounting bracket to secure it to the frame of the old charcol grill I am using to make the forge it. I am going to fabricate some flexible metal duct, a 3 black pipe nipples, a T, and some type of fixture to allow me to dump the ashes. I also need to make the attachment from the Brake drum to the plumbing system to get the air to the drum.

ak474u
01-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Built this monster today... This is my new kydex press. I call it press-zilla. I've got some additional work to do on it, and haven't run it on kydex yet. It's 24x12 so I'll be able to do larger work now. I was having issues with uneven pressure and losing heat while closing the press, so now I've got a quicker method of locking it down and even pressure.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y507/Wilco2a/91503d7a2cecff555572b0ed7f851ff7_zps569eae0e.jpg