PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a tent

The Stig
06-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Original webpage at consumersearch.com (http://www.consumersearch.com/tents/important-features)

Most tents now come with bathtub floors, which keep seams several inches above the ground, and "no-see-um" mesh to keep out the tiniest insects. Double-track door zippers let you unzip the fabric door while leaving a screen in place for insect protection. Color-coding makes setup easier, though experts still recommend practicing with a new tent at home before taking it on a trip. Reviewers say to look for the following additional features when buying a tent:

Consider your priorities. For family camping, allow plenty of space for playing inside on rainy days, and look for good storage to keep everyone's belongings neat. For backpacking, balance light weight with size; a tent that's light but cramped may not provide a good night's sleep.

Bigger isn't always better. A tent that's too big or too oddly shaped may not fit onto the tent pads at many campgrounds. Also, the bigger the tent, the harder it may be to stay warm during cool weather.

Full-coverage rain flies are best. Quite a few tents increase ventilation by providing only partial-coverage rain flies that include little awnings over the windows and doors. Reviewers say these are adequate in a light rain, but can let in driving rain. It's better to have a rainproof tent that increases ventilation with cleverly placed vents.

Factory-taped seams are important for rain protection. However, tent experts recommend using seam sealer on a tent periodically anyway. Some inexpensive tents need seam sealing before the first use.

Look for plenty of storage pockets and loops. Both owners and professional reviewers say that built-in storage makes a big difference in tent livability. Some tents come with plenty of interior storage, while others make gear lofts available only at extra cost.

Ventilation is crucial to minimize condensation. Look for mesh placed both low on a tent wall and high in the roof for good airflow. Ideally, you can open and close vent covers from inside the tent even with the rain fly on. Tents with a rain fly, known as double-wall tents, usually provide the best combination of ventilation and storm protection. Single-wall waterproof fabric is usually used only on tents designed for ultralight backpacking, where a little condensation isn't as important as light weight. Some hybrid backpacking tents are partly double-wall, partly single-wall, to balance these factors.

Double doors are a big convenience. They add ventilation and minimize having to climb over someone else to enter or exit the tent. They also make it easier to decide how to pitch the tent to get good views, privacy and resistance to wind and rain.

Two vestibules are better than one. You can store gear on one side and cook on the other if it's raining outside. Large vestibules also let a dog sleep in protected space, yet outside the tent. Experts recommend a vestibule of at least 6 square feet, so you can store a pack in it as well as boots.

Shock-corded poles, color-coding and quick clips make for fast setup. Shock-corded poles fold into sections for compact storage, but unfold quickly to full length. Clipping the tent to the poles is faster than having to thread the poles through sleeves. Color coding means that the pole tips are matched to specific tabs around the grommets where they're supposed to go. Some tents have the setup instructions printed right on the carry sack, especially useful for large family tents with lots of pole parts.

Even lifetime tent warranties don't cover sun degradation of the fabric. To prevent sun degradation, canvas is the best tent material, polyester next. Plain nylon has the least resistance to ultraviolet rays. If a tent is used only a week or two a year, pitched mostly in the shade, this is less important.

Aluminum poles are stronger -- but heavier -- than carbon-fiber poles. Some family tents use steel poles, which are heavy and eventually rust. Reviews don't recommend tents that use fiberglass poles, because they're prone to splintering. Variable-diameter poles are designed to minimize tent weight, putting the largest diameter where the most strength is needed.

Single-wall backpacking tents are lightest. These eliminate the rain fly, making the tent body either from breathable rainproof fabric or from silicon. Most breathable fabric tents can't be treated with fire retardant, so they can't be shipped to some states or to Canada. Silicon fabrics have an electrostatic attraction to pollen, sand and dust.

Square footage doesn't tell the whole story. This measurement is a starting point to help you decide if a tent is big enough, but also check length to be sure your sleeping bag or cot will fit. Total interior space (measured in cubic feet) depends on the tent's shape. A-frame tents less interior space than hoop, dome and umbrella tents. Within types there's still variation in available space, so look for a design that maximizes it.

Headroom is important. For a family tent, make sure the headroom allows the tallest person in the group to stand up inside. For a backpacking tent, make sure there's space for everyone to sit up. It's possible to get dressed without sitting up, but it's not comfortable. Being able to sit up comfortably also makes rainy days inside the tent much more tolerable.

Stakes and guy lines that are brightly colored are easier to see. Some tent stakes even have a reflective coating so you can move around the tent site with a flashlight without tripping over guy lines. Colored stakes also make it easier to avoid leaving some behind when you pack up to leave. We found many owner-written reviews recommending replacing cheap metal stakes (which are prone to bending) with heavy-duty plastic stakes.

A footprint or groundcloth protects the tent floor. Most tents have an optional footprint you can buy, that's already shaped to fit under the tent with a margin of a few inches all around. (Counter-intuitively, the tent footprint must be a little smaller than the tent, not larger.) To save money, you can make your own out of Tyvek or 4-mil black plastic.

I've only slept in a tent a few times so I'd be interested to hear what our tenting regulars have to say about this list.

LUNCHBOX
06-30-2011, 03:56 AM
The list is awesome, I wished I was out somewhere in one to read all that...LOL. I would say that the ground tarp is a good idea for a barrier but I wouldn't choose the bright guidelines or reflective stakes due to visual security. It's a good article to use as a "what to look for list"

mitunnelrat
06-30-2011, 04:18 AM
I'm with LUNCHBOX on this one.

TroubleShooter
06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I think tent choice is like picking your choice of weapon.............You need to know what you want the tent to do, My tent for family camping is not the same as my tent for backpacking or bugging out........A tarp ,a quality high end sleeping bag, and bug netting......... goes a long way in a SHTF... I try to make everything I carry a dual purpose item....

Grumpy Old Man
06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
That's a good starting point. I had a long comment on this, but I type so slow that I had to refresh to post it and lost it in the process.

LUNCHBOX
06-30-2011, 06:01 PM
I do agree with Troubleshooter on this...my tent has a full inside net and a full top cover but it is very light and just a two man. (Around 3 lbs)---made by a company named Swiss if I remember right. (At work now)

piranha2
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I still want to find the tent that has small enough mesh to keep out the Florida "no see ums". Little bastards are nothing but flying teeth.

bacpacker
07-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Great article that covered a lot of stuff. If you will be using it in a humid area I would go for a tent with a rain fly and plenty of mesh. If the tent don't vent well everything inside will be wet eventually, espically if you cook in it. I highly suggest not cookin in the tent anyway, way to easy to attract critters. I'll have to post about my bear story sometime.

I agree with several of the troubleshooter and Lunchbox. Know what you need for the scenarios and purpose you want to fill. Much better choices that way.

mitunnelrat
07-01-2011, 03:47 AM
I agree with that as well. The tent I take car camping, which isn't all that, is much different from then tent in my BOB. The article listed a number of features that I want when I get around to making an informed purchase for a new leisure tent for family camping, but I'm pretty happy with my Solitaire. Specifically due to its low profile as an individual shelter in my BOB.

cwconnertx
07-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I have many tents, they all serve different purposes.

I have a one person winter/mountain tent, it has great coverage, but would suck in the summer in texas, reasonably light for a winter tent.
I have a two person hiking tent which is good, but not quite enough for winter, lightweight.
I have a 4 person tent I use when camping near my vehicle, very roomy but heavy.

They all have different uses, but lately unless I am sharing with others, I don't use a tent when hiking, just a bivy sack with a tarp. The tarp allows me to sit up and have a sheltered place, while the bivy sack keeps the bugs out and the bedding dry and warm. The tarp keeps my stuff covered and allows me to keep the bivy sack open, with just the netting zipped shut, (i really hate fully closing the sack, the opening can be closed with netting, or fully closed)

There are just too many different climates and uses for a tent to have a single list. It needs to be large enough, strong enough, light enough, but how much of each varies a lot by usage. When camping out a festival, I want something large and roomy, but light is not a primary concern. Hiking the weight and strength are primary.

bacpacker
07-01-2011, 11:31 PM
They all have different uses, but lately unless I am sharing with others, I don't use a tent when hiking, just a bivy sack with a tarp.

CW, what Bivy sack do you have? The netting feature sounds AWESOME. Does it have a Gore Tex shell? What size is it, is it roomy enough?
I've looked at them for years, but never pulled the trigger. The last one I looked at was a Oregon Research model, Gore Tex and large size. Don't remember the details. I'm rather large, 6'-4" 275, so having something roomy would be great.

Sniper-T
09-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I have several now, and have had dozens over the years. Both my wife and I enjoy camping in remote areas... thus, tenting.

whenever possibly I take my 'big' tent, as it is the most comfortable, especially for a week+ trip. Both of us can stand up (and walk around in it), we can set up two large cots, and it has a vestibule large enough to be comfortable.

A few years ago, we spent 4 days without leaving the tent aside from personal needs and to re-tie, during a torrential rainstorm. we had our chairs set up in the vestibule, we cooked in there (with vents open), we could relax, read, play cards, etc.

basically like this: Costco - Outdoor Works Nahanni 5 Family Tent (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10345136&search=tent&Mo=9&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=tent&Ntt=tent&No=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1)

I also have a smaller backpack tent, for when we're hiking in rather than canoeing or boating... and a heavier double wall for late fall hunting.

great list... that's what I mentally go through when I buy one, although you have to remember that not every tent will have every check from the list. you need to determine what features you want, and go from there.

IMO

realist
09-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Tents are like guns I like them and have several. The family one that I will carry in my truck is a lot heavier than any backpacking tent that I have. There is no way that I will be packing out the large one, just too heavy. Sniper T do you have the Nahanni? I was looking at picking one up since my kid destroyed my other large one how is it holding up.

One of the best things that you can do if you have a son that is in Boy Scouts is to participate in their camp outs. This way you will be able to see a bunch of different styles of tents and maybe even try them out. Better yet if you become a scout master or assistant you can write them off on your taxes. That said when my son started out we had one tent for the two of us, that lasted only one trip. After that we had separate tents. If you are going to have a larger tent and someone will be sharing it they can share the load. As he got older we stated looking into the minimalist route, we went smaller and lighter. Now we each have a tent that is big enough for two people and all our gear as well as a small single tent. My one concern is that in a SHTF situation is how long would they last for daily use. One thing that I should have done was buy only 4 season tents, they are better built but heavier. If you have ever camped in the snow it is a good thing to have.

I have considered a bivy and really like the idea but most of them are heavier that my tents. However most of the ones that I have looked are are substantially better built then most backpacking tents. If you take a look and are going to upgrade you sleeping bag consider a system that includes a bivy. You have to look at the trade off, personally I want something that is going to last. So a bivy is on my list to buy. I think that it is the way to go, I am considering the Wiggy. If anyone has experience with them I would appreciate feedback.

One other consideration is there are a lot of great tents out there but not so many that are not a nice sky blue or yellow. I try to get mine in as subdued colors as possible. Most are not geared toward a SHTF situation.

So where do you buy them. If you search the internet there are a huge number of retailers. The one that I have used in the past is REI the store, however you can buy on line at REI.com. REI is a membership store and they will give you a kick back at the end of the year. I have gotten up to $300+ one year when I was buying a bunch of gear. The thing that I like about them is all their equipment is returnable up to one year without any questions, so if it is ripped to shreds they will take it back. They have great service. NO I do not have any association with them. Another company that I used when I was in Socal was Adventure 16. If nothing else find a good store around you so you can see what you will be buying. Then shop it on the internet and buy there. Don't buy it and not use it, it may not serve your purpose.

TEOTWAWKI13
09-21-2011, 10:11 PM
My backpacking tent is a Kelty Crestone 1. It's an awesome one man tent. I have an Eddie Bauer tent for backyard camping with the kiddos, but it's just that. For bug out situations, I'm working on that, but so far, a bivvy seams to be the best option, and a jungle pattern camo tarp. But most of my backpacking stuff is Kelty or REI as mentioned before. There's several in the Atlanta area where I'm from, and I've used the website as well. Good quality stuff.

Gunfixr
09-25-2011, 06:10 AM
I have a big family sized tent, a couple GI two man tents, and a 1 person tent.
The big one is all canvas, and probably at least 40yrs old. It's way too heavy to carry, and is in two duffle sized bags, but is till an awesome tent.It is starting to show its age, and will have to be replaced.
The GI tents are all from the 60s, so they are real canvas also.
The one man is a Eureka! TCOP, and single person tent built for the military. It does have an NSN #. It is a tent with rain fly having vestibules on two sides for your gear, and is a 4 season tent. The rainfly is camo on one side, and desert tan on the other. Screens are blackout, and a flashlight doesn't show through, I checked. It is small, I'm about 6'2", and my head just touches the roof sitting up, but it's plenty long enough. It is also quite light, and packs small.
It isn't cheap, however, ordered direct from Eureka! at about $325. But, you get what you pay for most times.

mitunnelrat
04-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Another topic I feel is worthy or revisiting.

Sniper-T
04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
not much more to add, except that you should never pack a tent wet, if at all possible, and if not, then set it up to dry ASAP.

Another thing that is invaluable is tent spray. for either canvas or nylon. every couple of years I give mine a good spray down, and they stay dry inside.

Something we use for the noseeums, is simply citronella candles. hang one in front of every mesh window, vent or opening. But don't light them (for obvious reasons). Just the smell of the candle works very well to keep them out.

Evolver
04-08-2013, 11:36 PM
I highly recommend sealing the seam like the above suggested no matter the tent maker. :)

Every tent that I've ever owned the first thing that I do with it is set it up in the backyard and seal all the seams from the outside and also the inside even if it was seam taped. I've used many different seam sealers and I like this one the most...

http://www.mammoth.co.za/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/920x690/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/1/0/10510_seam_grip_1oz_bulk.jpg

It's more like a glue then others, has a good applicator and it really holds up well but when you apply it you absolutely have to have the tent pitched and let it dry 24hr before taking it down.

mitunnelrat
04-24-2013, 10:35 AM
The one man is a Eureka! TCOP, and single person tent built for the military. It does have an NSN #. It is a tent with rain fly having vestibules on two sides for your gear, and is a 4 season tent.

I just saw this again tonight, and my sleep deprived and feverish brain wonders how well the tent design would lend itself to the addition of a stove. The vestibules look large enough for it.

bacpacker
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Personally I don't like cooking in my tent. It puts of a huge amount of moisture and tends to draw critters to you sleeping area. I do however have a Kelty 4 season tent that has a zip out section in the vestibule that makes running a stove safer. I just have never been a fan.

mitunnelrat
04-25-2013, 08:19 PM
I go back and forth on it, but the allure of adding a stove jack for wood heat on a cold winter's night sounds awesome to me. Since the vestibules are floorless I thought it might be a viable option here.

I lean this way because there's a good chance I'm a cold sleeper. I'm not sure yet exactly how to determine that, but I'm usually reaching for the afghan at the foot of my bed if it drops to 65 or so in my house. Otherwise I'm good wÍth a sheet and a light blanket.

ETA: oh, and also because there are places I'd like to camp that prohibit open fires.

I'll have to remember the cooking concerns as I get out more. There aren't any critters I worry about in my neck of the woods.

oif0709
02-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Back from the dead...... I had went back and forth between my choice of shelter. My options were;
Keep my old 2 man eureka 2 man backpacking tent which was heavy, especially when adding the rain fly and annex.

Pick one of the kifaru tarps which they offer a large variety of as well as stoves. The result would be the most lightweight but I wanted a floor though the stove was appealing but I'm not sure I'd want moisture or scent built up in my sleeping area.

Or get the mountain hardware hunker tent. It's a 1 man 4 season tent. I've eyed it for well over a year and even passed up a few sales. It was expensive just like the tarp options but my end result was to have something quick and easy to put up.
Being a 4 season it has no fly and it has a lined interior so you're not getting condensation accumulating.a 3 pole design with included stakes and guy lines. It's a very low profile tent so forget about sitting up but I'm 6 feet tall and have plenty of head and foot room. It's shape provides room for gear and it has a flap over the main door for securing to another tent, trekking poles or sticks. Or securing to the ground. The main door is screened and it does have a smaller non screened door for observation. Or to easily get out of to take a late night piss.
Plenty of loops inside to hang a light. It's a dark grey lining and a coyote brown tent so it's pretty hard to light up but not much light shines through.

At about 4 pounds 5 ounces I think it's advertised it's not light compared to a backpacking tent. But for a 4 season free standing tent that you set up in any weather it will shine. It's design will allow snow to not build up on it easily and water will run off the back. I forgot to mention it has a little prop in each end to open a screened vent. I've also read that having no fly will prevent the buildup of snow between the tent and fly in the winter.

I've set it up a few times in my house. I'll take it out in the spring and see how it does. My first choice of shelter was my tarp, bug net and hammock but I wanted something warmer, faster to set up and can be used anywhere.

I'll try putting up some pics when I can.

oif0709
02-06-2015, 11:48 AM
http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150105_135856.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4
nit the greatest photo but just wanted to give an idea of the hunker size.http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150125_154039.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150125_154039.jpg.html)

Sniper-T
02-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Oif, in Photobucket, click on the [IMG] code, and paste that in here, and your pictures will display here.

oif0709
02-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks you helped me figure it out. ^^^http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150105_135856.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150105_135856.jpg.html)

Sniper-T
02-06-2015, 04:54 PM
No problem, and if you just want to insert a picture from the net, click on the fourth button from the left at the top of the dialogue box where you type your reply [insert Image] a popup window will appear and you can paste the website URL in there. Incidentally, the third button will do the same for video.

bacpacker
02-07-2015, 01:22 AM
That's a nice tent. Mountian Hardware makes some killer gear. 4lbs ain't much for a 4 season tent. I have a Kelty Windfoil that goes much closer to 8lbs. Great tent and it's a two person model, but damn it's heavy. I have been looking at some of the Big Agnus models to cut weight. They are nice tents but not 4 season. At least not the ones I have found so far.

ElevenBravo
02-07-2015, 03:12 AM
Ive found a great fondness for a Gortex bivy bag. Light and works like a champ. No setting up is nice, and very low profile translates into very low signature. Though I do like napping in a hammock...

EB

oif0709
02-07-2015, 03:28 AM
I think that's what we're issued in our 3 piece sleep systems. I've woken up dry in a puddle of water on my cot and have been dry.

ElevenBravo
02-07-2015, 04:13 AM
Yes sir, you are correct... the bivy bag is the Gortex outtermost skin of the multipart sleep system. Mine are woodland camo because ACU sux ass (Unless your in Afghanistan, then its pretty sweet).

EB

realist
02-07-2015, 04:52 AM
Anyone here use an outfitter tent? I like the bivy it works great. However for long term I am looking at an outfitter tent. Cabelas has some good ones. I'm just starting to do my research.

oif0709
02-08-2015, 01:46 PM
I tried searching for what one was, is it essentially a large tent like a canvas one? I've eyed the kifaru tipis and both would have plenty of room and allow for a wood stove. Speaking of which.
http://www.rileycampstoves.com/outdoorwoodstoves/backpackersstovenew.html

http://fourdog.com/two-dog-stove-dx/
http://store.kifaru.net/mobile/categories.aspx?Keyword=stove

I've eyed small wood stoves, and considered a kifaru one combined with a tarp but I chose the tent I did as I would be on the move more.

ElevenBravo
02-08-2015, 09:37 PM
My 3 priorities for a tent/shelter (backpack type):

1) Affordable
2) Keeps dry
3) Light

Cycles back to a bivy bag... but a inspect bar of some type might be nice in the summer too... I *hate* skeeters buzzing around my ears and pricking me whilst I try to sleep!

EB

oif0709
02-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Those would be a viable option, just bring a tarp to keep your ruck dry. I had my sights set on the mountain hardwear hunker 1 for so long I forgot about a bivy style tent. I've never really seen one in person to get an idea of how I'd like one, I prefer a little mobility in my sleeping area. I'm sure those do fine in all weather.