PDA

View Full Version : Camping stove reviews

The Stig
06-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Original webpage at consumersearch.com (http://www.consumersearch.com/camping-stoves)

Here are a bunch of reviews on various camping stoves. Thought it might be helpful info.

Here's an example of an overview of the MSR Reactor

Among portable camping stoves, the MSR Reactor is one of the top performers. This integrated stove includes an isobutane-propane burner and a 1.7-liter cooking pot; a fuel canister is sold separately, but the entire stove and canister can be packed into the included pot for portability. One of the main selling points of the MSR Reactor is its efficiency -- the stove uses a radiant burner and heat exchanger to boil water quickly, even in windy conditions. MSR claims the stove can boil a liter of water in less than three minutes, which is confirmed in numerous tests. Owners say the stove is easy to use, reliable and highly efficient. However, heat output is hard to control and it's difficult to simmer soups or sauces. The stove only works with the included pot, so cooking options are limited, especially for groups. Most reviewers acknowledge that this stove is best for one or two campers. Several reviewers are also frustrated that the 1.7-liter pot has a recommended maximum capacity of just 1 liter. If you need to cook for more people, we also found good reviews for the Jetboil Helios (*Est. $150), an inverted canister stove that comes with a 2- or 3-liter pot.

There's no shortage of reviews on the MSR Reactor, but most of the best tests were conducted in 2007, when the stove was first introduced. TGO (The Great Outdoors) magazine has the most comprehensive test of the MSR Reactor. Even though the test is two years old, most of the stoves are still on the market and their testing criteria are thoroughly explained. Each stove receives a rating and in-depth commentary. We also found good tests at Rock and Ice magazine, SNews and Backpacker magazine. User reviewers are helpful, especially at BackpackGearTest.org and Buzzillions.com.

The Stig
06-30-2011, 02:51 AM
And from the same website, what to look for in a camping stove...

Camping Stoves: What To Look For
Updated September 2009

Types of camping stoves

Whether you want a camping stove for disaster preparation, the campground or backpacking, choosing the best fuel for your needs is the first step. Common fuel types include propane, white gas or other petroleum-based liquid fuels, alcohol, wood, isobutane or blended gases. Each fuel has significant advantages and disadvantages for different situations.

Propane: Best overall, propane is easy to use and easy to find. For situations where weight doesn't matter that much -- such as car or campsite camping -- propane is a great choice. Propane is clean-burning and efficient. It comes in small disposable canisters or in larger refillable canisters. Propane stoves usually have two or more burners and are suitable for a griddle or for group camping.

White gas: This type of liquid fuel comes in quart or gallon containers from which you pour as much fuel as you need into your stove's refillable canister. The upside is that you only carry as much fuel as you need, so you can keep pack weight low. For long campsite stays with a big group, it's easier to carry cans of white gas than several 20-pound propane tanks. White gas works well in cold weather and high elevations, and it's also inexpensive to buy. The downside is that white gas is tricky to use and more prone to flare-ups. Stoves using white gas need priming before you light, and you have to mess with refilling your canisters. Some stoves that burn white gas can also burn unleaded gasoline or kerosene. If you are camping near water, reviews suggest avoiding petroleum-based fuels like white gas, kerosene or unleaded gasoline. Experts say that spilling just one capful of unleaded gas can pollute 1,000 gallons of water.

Canister gas: This fuel contains butane, isobutane or a blend, and comes in disposable (and recyclable) aluminum canisters, so it is very convenient to use. Canister gas doesn't work that well in cold weather or at higher elevations, so these stoves are best for weekend backpacking, bike trips and warm-weather camping. Canisters are more expensive than buying white gas in bulk, but most backpackers say canister gas is a lot more convenient and easy to use.

Alcohol: Easy to find and inexpensive, alcohol is a good choice for disaster-preparation kits, since it stores well and has other uses. The catch is that it only burns half as hot as other fuels, which means it takes a longer time to boil water.

Expert reviews suggest considering these factors in choosing a camping stove:

Consider fuel and weight. For backpacking trips, especially long ones, this may be the decisive factor, but for car camping or disaster preparation, it may not matter at all. Remember to calculate the weight of the fuel you'll need to carry -- not just the starting weight -- before you get resupplied.

How crucial is safety? Alcohol stoves are generally considered the safest choice. They produce the fewest fumes, and alcohol is less flammable than other fuels because it evaporates quickly; but alcohol stoves don't produce much heat so they are much slower than other types. For emergency or campground use, propane stoves using disposable canisters are also relatively safe. Of course, ventilation is essential for any camping stove, and experts recommend not using any stove inside a tent.

Canister and propane stoves are the most convenient. The best camping stoves that use pressurized gases set up quickly, light easily and make it simple to adjust the heat. For two-burner campground stoves, propane is the most convenient fuel, while butane, isobutane and propane/butane canister fuel is better for backpacking.

Canister stoves that use threaded attachments are safest and most versatile. Standard threads, called Lindal threads, enable most canister stoves to use different brands of canister gas. The canisters are self-sealing, so after each use you can remove the burner. However, a few stoves puncture the seal to attach the canister; with these, the burner must remain attached to the canister until the fuel is used up. This makes it harder to pack the stove, and because the attached burner includes the fuel knob, it increases the risk of the fuel accidentally getting turned on inside a pack.

A piezo ignition adds convenience. This electronic, push-button ignition makes it easier to light a gas stove, especially when it's windy. Be sure to carry dry matches or a lighter as well, since the piezo igniters are notoriously unreliable.

Be sure you can adjust the flame while wearing gloves. Even in spring and fall you may want to wear gloves during part of each day. In winter, this becomes really important.

Do you plan to travel outside the United States? In some parts of the world, it's easy to buy canister gas, while in other places kerosene is a better choice. In still other areas, dung is the only fuel readily available.

Practice before relying on a stove. Even with a simple propane or canister gas stove, it's important to practice setup, lighting, cooking and shutdown at home before going camping or relying on a stove for disaster preparation.

Carry a repair kit. Check to make sure the stove works properly and that all parts are in good condition before setting off on a trip. If you're storing a stove to use only in emergencies, be sure to check it regularly.

Be aware that you probably will not be able to bring your stove with you if you are traveling by plane. Department of Homeland Security regulations prohibit taking any type of camping stove on an airplane once it's been used, since traces of flammable fuel may remain. You may not be able to take a new, unused stove or bottle for liquid fuel, either, due to misunderstandings about stoves by security personnel. To avoid having a stove confiscated at the airport, experts say you should consider buying your camping stove and fuel after you reach your destination, then giving it away at the end of your trip or shipping it home.

beginner
06-30-2011, 03:28 AM
I still swear by the ol green coleman 2 burners. I've had mine for years and I bet my dads is close to 30 years old and still keeps on going....

LUNCHBOX
06-30-2011, 08:52 PM
I have a two burner also and they are nice.

piranha2
06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
The two burner Colemans are awesome, but, cmon guys, lets expand our horizons. Different applications for different scenarios and all that.

LUNCHBOX
07-01-2011, 12:42 AM
I would only use the two burner at the house or car camping. I have my Camp 3 for hiking/backpacking, which is a backup to open flame cooking anyway. The "Jetboil" is what we use most of the time outdoors. They are sweet.

bacpacker
07-01-2011, 02:12 AM
I to have a ole green coleman handed down form the parents, we used that thing when I was a kid 40+ years ago.

I've also used a Coleman Peak one backpacking stove, white gas. It generally works like a coleman lantern or stove It'll boil water in 3-4 minutes, but as soon as the water boils just turn the handle down and it will simmer for hours. I then decided to go ultra light and get a MSR Whisperlite white gas as well. If you pump up the bottle pressure to boil water, you can't get a good simmer till the pressure bleeds off. They needed a much better way to control gas flow. Still have the whisperlite as a back up. I went back to a newer model Peak one about ten years ago. It's multi fuel, white gas, kerosene, diesel, unleaded, probably ethonal. It works as good as the first one did.

I picked up a 2 burner propane stove, mainly for use around the house if power is out, we decide we want to can produce outside instead of heating up the house, etc. Uses any regular bottle from 20lbs to 100lbs. Easy to store extra bottles as well.

Recently I've started looking at the Jetboil system. Looks to be good but until tonight I hadn't known of anyone who used them LB we gotta talk.

alaska
07-01-2011, 02:28 AM
coleman 2 and coleman 3 burner for long term use

I like my jet boil for the pack.

OHG Remedy
08-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I have 3 coleman 2 burners. Retired neighbor goes to garage sales and has picked me up 2 for $5 each. Minor rehab and they are functional. I have him on the look out for a 3 burner now.

biggcarl
08-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I've been a MSR Whisperlite fan since the mid-late 90's. Recently I've done a total switch. I now use a mini atomic alcohol stove made by minibull design. https://www.minibulldesign.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=77&idcategory=

Here's the set up, stove, stand, homemade pot w/lid, carry case/bowl, insulation for bowl. Not pictured is fuel, I use HEET (yellow bottle)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j171/biggcarl/IMG_3507.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j171/biggcarl/IMG_3509.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j171/biggcarl/IMG_3511.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j171/biggcarl/IMG_3512.jpg

biggcarl
08-12-2011, 02:50 PM
BTW, total weight = slightly over 6oz

piranha2
08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
I had not seen that one before. for 20 bucks, seems like a deal.

biggcarl
08-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Depending on your skill with making things there are many videos out there on how to make something similar. Google, bud light stove, venom stove, red bull stove, or alcohol stove.

I've made many a venom stove, but this burns so much better.

apssbc
08-18-2011, 12:52 AM
I spent 50 on the Vargo titanium stove. Its super compact and weighs nearly 0. I boiled many cups of water using trioxaine, esbit, and plain old sticks. Its very efficient which gives off little smoke thus keeping you hidden.

Also remember that if you can build a small efficient fire they will be nearly smoke less. To hide your location better build under a pine tree and it will diffuse what little smoke there is through the branches further obscuring your position.

apssbc
08-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Heres the link to the Vargo
Stoves available from Survival Resources, including the Pocket Cooker, Esbit Stove Cookset, Vargo Stoves, (http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Stoves%20available%20from%20Survival%20Resources.h tm)

Also review the pocket cooker (next stove down). Which I have and is another viable stove. Much cheaper, although more bulky it is also quite efficient and works well with sticks.

I carry esbit stoves also just in case and they work well also.

Another tip is to bring a couple sheets of tin foil. Once for covering your canteen cup...which keeps out gunk and helps it boil faster. The other I use for creating a windscreen so the fire and heat are more concetrated on your cup.

mercury
08-22-2011, 02:36 AM
I started using homemade alcohol stoves this summer. They are getting common among backpackers, especially minimalists. The stoves are cheap (a big consideration for me), easy to make, and surprisingly effective; and the fuel is readily available. There are many websites that detail how to make soda can stoves, and other designs.