PDA

View Full Version : Folding bike reviews

The Stig
06-30-2011, 03:02 AM
Reviews of various types of folding bikes from consumersearch.com found HERE (http://www.consumersearch.com/folding-bikes)

Review of the bromption M3L example:

The Brompton M3L is not the lightest folding bike on the market, and it's not the least expensive, but reviewers say it provides a stable and comfortable ride with an incredibly compact fold. The 25-pound Brompton M3L folds down to 22.2 inches by 21.5 inches by 10.6 inches, which is one of the most compact folds on the market. Reviewers say the folding process is quick and easy to master. The Brompton M3L stays locked once folded, and the chain is tucked away in the middle to keep grease away from your clothes. Small wheels allow you to roll it when folded, but testers say this only works well on flat pavement. According to reviews, the biggest downside of the Brompton M3L is the gearing -- with only three gears, this folding bike won't give you much help on hills. Still, the portability makes it a good choice for riders who hop on public transportation as a part of their commute.

And their "what to look for" suggestions:

When shopping for a folding bike, decide on your budget first. There are numerous folding bikes on the market, and it will save you a lot of time to narrow your options to one price range. A local bike shop is a good place to start looking; if they don't carry the bike you want, ask them to order it for you. Most of the bikes mentioned in this report are also available on the manufacturer's website or Amazon.com. If you do buy a folding bike online, take it to your local bike shop for a tune-up. Keep the following in mind when shopping for a folding bike:

Weight is important. If you plan to carry your bike on a subway or bus, or up stairs at home or at work, you'll want a light bike. Some budget folding bikes can weigh nearly 30 pounds (or more), so make sure your folding bike is something you can carry easily.

Stability is equally important. Although the total weight is important, it shouldn't be your only consideration. Extremely lightweight bikes can be unstable and uncomfortable, and you want to find a good combination of weight and stability.

Check the dimensions. Some folding bikes fold more compactly than others; be sure to check the folded dimensions before you buy. If you can, test the bike in a bike shop so you can tell how it easy it is to fold and carry.

Take advantage of optional bags. Some transportation operators frown on bikes inside trains or buses because they take up too much room or get grease on the seats. Many folding bikes come with optional bags, which make the bike easier to carry and prevent grease from getting on you or your fellow commuters.

Try out the folding mechanisms if you can. Most high-end folding bikes offer some sort of latching mechanism to keep the bike together when it's folded. This feature is often not included on budget models, so you'll need to add your own strap or bungee cord. If you can, try folding up the bike before you buy; owners say that folding a bike quickly takes some practice.

Do you need multiple gears? If you live in a hilly area, you will probably want a folding bike with multiple gears. Many folding bikes come with only one or three gears, but you can get larger folding bikes with more gearing options.

Height and weight limits. If you are taller than about 6 feet 4 inches or heavier than about 230 pounds, check the manufacturer's maximum height and weight restrictions. Because of their generally smaller wheels and geometry, most folding bikes have a hard time accommodating taller or heavier riders.

Grumpy Old Man
06-30-2011, 05:01 PM
I want a Montague like this one:

Montague Paratrooper Tactical Folding Mountain Bike: The Bike (http://www.militarybikes.com/products.html)

Kodiak
06-30-2011, 08:11 PM
That is a sweet bike Grumpy.

bacpacker
07-01-2011, 02:15 AM
looked at those grumpy, they are sweet. Of course I'd have to get my big ass on it if I got it.

Grumpy Old Man
07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
That's my main problem too BP. I don't get on the bike I have often enough!