PDA

View Full Version : Staying alive

eagle326
11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Posted a reply to Stormy in Colorado thread. Thought I'd post here and get your thought.

Would you eat your pet or even another human if that's all that was between you and death in a worst case s.h.t.f. senario ?

helomech
11-14-2013, 03:29 PM
yes I would eat what ever I had to.

ANEURYSM
11-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I have said it many times. A truly hungry person will eat just about anything.

Personally I have eaten bugs , bark grass, critters most look down there nose at. So I think in truly desperate times I could but I think eating my dog would be the hardest.

Stormfeather
11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
tabasco?. . . check.
Tapatio?. . .check.
Siracha?. . . check.

Im sorry Eagle. . . what was you saying?

eagle326
11-14-2013, 05:33 PM
tabasco?. . . check.
Tapatio?. . .check.
Siracha?. . . check.

Im sorry Eagle. . . what was you saying?

Said ; I'll bring spices ;taters assorted vegetables for a nice soup or stew. Or maybe a ham or roast.

MegaCPC
11-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Probably, after serious deliberation over starving to death.

izzyscout21
11-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes, but Fortunately for me, i can work through the more conventional food type pets (chicken, rabbit) before i work my way up to breaking out the soy sauce for the cat or tabasco for the dog.

All of our animals are pets right now (we're nowhere near sufficiency stage), and some are more beloved than others. So I figure i can start at the bottom of the totem pole before we really get to critters we're attached to.

Just for record, the cat gets grilled before the puppy....... I heard something good about cat oil....

bacpacker
11-14-2013, 11:49 PM
I have actually gave this some thought. Not only pets and such, but other less than desierable food, bugs, ants, etc. I'm to the point, I think I would do what ever needed doing to survive. I have no doubt this would be tougher than most anything you can think of. But I also think the will to live will allow you to do what you have to.

Possom
11-15-2013, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't eat my dog. I would have to make it through a herd of goats, about 50 chickens, rabbits, and then me and the dog would go hunting. He trees the squirrels, I shoot them. He jumps the rabbits, I shoot them.

I get along better with my dog then I do most humans.

eagle326
11-15-2013, 01:06 AM
Everybody has a will to live. Some more than others and being who we are brought me to this point. Most people have no problem eating something nasty as they see it. Such as bugs ;worms; mice ; rats ; cats ;dogs ; grasshoppers ; ants and so on.
But the majority draw the line at humans and rightful so in most cases ; but if a fresh body is between them and death in a worst case situation of shtf and they are to the point of living or dying in their choice. Many I've spoken with say how can you eat another human just like you.

I reply that man is an animal like all the others on earth. Just because he talks a language you understand makes him no better than any other animal ; For all animals communicate with each other just like man. It's not a place you ever want to be but to deny that it would ever happen and you'd have to make the choice is just hiding your head in the sand.

helomech
11-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Am I the only one singing this song every time I see this title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

bacpacker
11-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Oh god, you just made a shiver run up my back!

The ex used to love them. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! Hebbie Jebbies

eagle326
11-15-2013, 01:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

Sorry Helo. Didn't think of that when I picked title. :)
But what the hell ; break out some bell bottom pants and cut the rug with momma.:p

izzyscout21
11-15-2013, 03:55 AM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/null_zpsdd3d4e3e.jpg

David Armstrong
11-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I'll eat your cat. Nobody eats my cat!:eek:

Stormfeather
11-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Ive got a bunch I can send ya right now if you are hungry!

eagle326
11-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Ive got a bunch I can send ya right now if you are hungry!

Iff'in you ain't earnin' ya keep ; To the fryin' pan I say.

bacpacker
11-17-2013, 01:49 AM
I have a couple of chickens that look like they are heading that direction.

David Armstrong
11-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Roof Chicken, tabby flavored!

ANEURYSM
11-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Roof Chicken, tabby flavored!

around here they are called " Tin Rabbit" funny thing is they put a law in place that says fresh farm rabit must have one paw intact to prove it isnt cat.

mitunnelrat
11-17-2013, 10:01 PM

I wasn't. Dammit man!

izzyscout21
11-17-2013, 11:40 PM
I wasn't. Dammit man!

What? Dont tell me you're a doctor.....

mitunnelrat
11-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Nope, not me. Too much schooling involved ;)

Sniper-T
11-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Cat?? Did someone say Cat? Mmmmm.. caaaattttt!!!!!!

I have lots of local critters around here, including feral cats and dogs that would be eaten long before my own pets, mainly because they serve a purpose.

Hell, I would lure my neighbours pets over for a dinner before I took out my own. BUt in the end... what will be, will be. My dog will provide probably a week or more of meals, while most cats are barely enough for a meal for two... especially in lean times.

I've eaten most bugs common around here because I had to, but didn't enjoy them much, but if you use them to subsidize food, and not as food, they are ok...er.
A few hundred ants, crushed up and then used to crust some fish fillets wasn't actually too bad.

I am not shy about discussing hunting at work, so my boss changed the name plate on my desk to meatatarian. I liked it so it stayed. More than a few people staff and guests have made the comment what about people... we're made of meat. I just point to this, up on the wall, behind my desk:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=picture+of+a+human+with+cuts+of+meat&id=383747B4D2E4FC59A2FF9C31543213DAE42A5C04&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=383747B4D2E4FC59A2FF9C31543213DAE42A5C04&selectedIndex=0

yeah, we're all made of meat.

Bon apetit!

bacpacker
11-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Holy Shit Sniper, you never let up! :)

Sniper-T
11-20-2013, 10:23 PM
But I haven't teased LH in so long...

Stormfeather
11-21-2013, 12:23 AM
yep. . . meat is meat and im gonna eat! Not that its my first choice, but if I have to, hell yea.

eagle326
11-27-2013, 07:04 PM
The wife and daughter loved that meat chart of yours Sniper. They're going to try to find one if they can.
I can see it hanging in the kitchen now. :cool:

ladyhk13
12-01-2013, 10:26 PM
But I haven't teased LH in so long...

Just found this thread. No one touches my cat or dogs. I would have to say I would probably just die of starvation. I am the pickiest eater to begin with and just couldn't do it. Anyone who knows me pretty much knows that. I know what I have to look forward in the afterlife so if it means my cat stays alive and I draw comfort and love from her for months instead of getting one measly meal out of her I'm willing to do that. I would rather set her free than kill her. What kind of life is it if you go through it with the guilt and sorrow of killing something that you truly love? Wild animals or ones raised for food are one thing but not my cat and you better stay away from her Sniper dude or you will be in big trouble ;)

Bugs, ants, worms...probably not either. It totally grosses me out and would just puke so it would be of no value anyway. Someone else might as well have the nutrition. I know y'all won't agree because your big strong tough guys. I'm a wimp. :/

eagle326
12-01-2013, 10:37 PM
In Sniper's best holiday voice ; I can hear him singing :

Lady K and chestnuts roasting over an open fire.
While he gets out the sesame buns ;)

Stormfeather
12-03-2013, 02:11 AM
Just found this thread. No one touches my cat or dogs. I would have to say I would probably just die of starvation. I am the pickiest eater to begin with and just couldn't do it. Anyone who knows me pretty much knows that. I know what I have to look forward in the afterlife so if it means my cat stays alive and I draw comfort and love from her for months instead of getting one measly meal out of her I'm willing to do that. I would rather set her free than kill her. What kind of life is it if you go through it with the guilt and sorrow of killing something that you truly love? Wild animals or ones raised for food are one thing but not my cat and you better stay away from her Sniper dude or you will be in big trouble ;)

Bugs, ants, worms...probably not either. It totally grosses me out and would just puke so it would be of no value anyway. Someone else might as well have the nutrition. I know y'all won't agree because your big strong tough guys. I'm a wimp. :/

So two homeless guys are walking down the train tracks . . . they are dirty, musty, smelly, and pretty damn hungry.
They walk up on a carcass of a dead skunk thats been hit by a train. Its ragged, and has maggots all thru its flesh.
The one homeless guy looks at the other, "Im so hungry man, I could eat that dead skunk, you want some too?"
The other homeless guy shakes his head. . ."no thanks man, Im going to wait for a hot meal, you knock yourself out brother!"
So the first homeless guy picks up the dead smelly skunk, wipes off the maggots, and proceeds to dig in, munch. . .crunching. . gnawing. . pulling off hunks of maggot infested meat and eating it. "Man. . . it doesnt taste that good, but at least its a meal. . . sure you dont want some?" says the first homeless guy.
"Nyaa... you go ahead man, Im going to wait for a hot meal" says the second homeless guy.
So after the first homeless guy gets done eating, he belches, and sighs. . ."well, at least it was something, Im going to save the rest for later, sure you dont want some?"
"Im good, gonna wait for a hot meal" says the second homeless guy.
So about three hours later, they decide to pitch camp for the night, and they settle in for the night. The first homeless guy starts groaning, moaning. . holding his stomach. It doesnt take long before he crawls out of his bag and stumbles to the edge of camp and starts heaving. . .retching. . . and finally throwing up.
The second homeless guy jumps up, , "its about time, I was waiting for that hot meal!!!!"

Domeguy
12-03-2013, 04:30 AM
. "its about time, I was waiting for that hot meal!!!!"

Stormfeather....you are one seriously sick, messed up individual .....I knew I liked you for some reason. Lol

Stormfeather
12-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Its the infantry in me. . .what can I say? 2 different branches of Infantry tends to warp a persons perspective on what is politically correct, and what isnt. According to my Grandpa, Ive got no manners, no couth, no civility, and no moral compass when it comes to good taste. I told him he was wrong, I can taste just fine.

Domeguy
12-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Its the infantry in me. . .what can I say? 2 different branches of Infantry tends to warp a persons perspective on what is politically correct, and what isnt. According to my Grandpa, Ive got no manners, no couth, no civility, and no moral compass when it comes to good taste. I told him he was wrong, I can taste just fine.

It took me a few seconds for that one to register, but it am still laughing as I post this...

bacpacker
12-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Jesus Stormy, I just blew tea across the room! That's almost enough to make the buzzards puke themselves off the gut wagon.

ladyhk13
12-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Oh that was just wrong!!! If I didn't know better I would have thought Sniper came up with that one just to make me want to puke...that's my weak spot. I'm a sympathy pucker. Can't stand the sight or smell, yup I'd be right next to him puking. Thank God my kids hardly ever threw up.

I'm gonna have nightmares Stormy, thanks dude. Y'all kill me.

Sniper-T
12-04-2013, 12:29 AM
That's just because you're such a wonderful caring person LH. You would not only provide the bum with a little extra warm food, but a nice variety as well. a regular smorgasbord.

ladyhk13
12-04-2013, 03:25 AM
Sniper dude you are one sick kitty cat. But you're still my buddy.

Stormfeather
12-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Well, lets be honest. . when it comes to staying alive, you gotta do what you gotta do right? And everyone knows a hot meal is better than a cold one! :)

Grumpy Old Man
12-05-2013, 01:39 AM
Stormy-you're twisted!! I admire that in a person. I bet you'd eat the boogers outa a dead man's nose. You're a survivor!

Stormfeather
12-05-2013, 02:22 AM
You do know, that boogers are nothing more than dust particles that have been filtered by the cillia in a persons nose. So while it has no nutritional value, it may retain something as far as bulk in a meal, but that would take a lot of boogers to do that.

ladyhk13
12-05-2013, 02:55 AM
You do know, that boogers are nothing more than dust particles that have been filtered by the cillia in a persons nose. So while it has no nutritional value, it may retain something as far as bulk in a meal, but that would take a lot of boogers to do that.

I see that you will be aging weight while some of us will be keeping our girlish figures.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, lets be honest. . when it comes to staying alive, you gotta do what you gotta do right? And everyone knows a hot meal is better than a cold one! :)

Hum....no.

eagle326
12-06-2013, 09:38 PM

The mystery ingredient in Mc Donald's Big Mac sauce ? :p

Gunfixr
12-07-2013, 12:37 AM
I need that license plate Izzy posted.
I'm in the right state.
That human meat chart is awesome too, I gotta get that.
I remember telling the "hot meal" joke when we were kids.
I don't know about boogers. They're green from bacteria, seems a little risky for not much.

Pets, oh yeah. Only problem is, all we have is a bird, and not a very large one. 'Course, here in the city there's lots of meals "on the hoof" so to speak. For now.
In fact, my wife has had cat. She was in high school with an Asian guy whose parents had a restaurant. She was in htere one day when he was eating something. It took some talking to get him to give her a taste, said they could eat all they wanted, just couldn't legally serve it. Said it was good. This was before we met, so I missed out.

Humans? Yeah, probably, if there was nothing else.

That could work in one's favor. There's nothing like a head on a stick, and picked clean bones in the yard to say "stay the fuck off my lawn !!!"

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Guess I've been off the grid for too long WTFO? Haven't been looking around the site and paying attention to what's going on and lookeee here! OK, Can't eat our critters at's a done deal, I can forage like a fuckin squirrel but sooner or later I'm going to need some real protein, I guess if I don't know them it won't matter none. Absolute last resort. Probably tastes like Roo or Wallaby aye? Guess you'd have to look at the person, you could be getting pork, fish, shrimp..............

- - - Updated - - -

What?

Sniper-T
12-08-2013, 04:44 PM
... I bet you'd eat the boogers outa a dead man's nose....

Why the 'dead man' requirement? If kept alive, and in a dusty area, a live man could be a never ending supply of booger meat.

Sniper-T
12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
... and assuming that the dust in question was perhaps grain, or flour dust, would the said boogers not obtain a nutritional value?

ladyhk13
12-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Kind of like 'walking dead ? ' with a purpose.....

Stormfeather
12-09-2013, 11:55 PM
I like the way you think there Sniper! As a matter of fact, a live persons boogers would make a lot more sense than a dead persons boogers, its like a self-sustaining food source!

Sniper-T
12-10-2013, 12:47 AM
there we go... anyone else in on the booger harvest?

eagle326
12-10-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm in.

Gunfixr
12-14-2013, 01:27 AM
I don't know. I bet it costs more in real food to keep the booger harvest going than you get in boogers.

Then, there's always the fact that you're giving away real food so you can eat boogers.

And, for your useless trivia for today, there is the fact that the human sinus system is actually designed to channel the mucus (snot) back into the head and down the back of the throat. It makes about a quart a day.

So, boogers are just the "leavings", of sorts.

You're missing out on the real harvest.

ladyhk13
12-14-2013, 02:13 AM
So I guess if you just stick your finger down their throats once a day and make them puke you can be assured of a hot meal from each one of them?

eagle326
12-14-2013, 12:45 PM
So I guess if you just stick your finger down their throats once a day and make them puke you can be assured of a hot meal from each one of them?

Now that's the TRUE survivor part coming forth out of you LadyHK. We knew you had it in you. :p

Sniper-T
12-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Atta girl LH!

This is getting better and better. You get a hot meal, fortified booger toppings, and to drink...

http://www.medicalexpo.com/prod/medela-ag-medical-technology/electric-mucus-suction-pumps-portable-69230-434469.html

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Atta girl LH!

This is getting better and better. You get a hot meal, fortified booger toppings, and to drink...

http://www.medicalexpo.com/prod/medela-ag-medical-technology/electric-mucus-suction-pumps-portable-69230-434469.html

Hey pal, it's gotta be "off grid" needs to be solar powered so we can use it in the "MASH" unit. But I like it, I like it!

Sniper-T
12-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Sorry, BWRR, I assumed you'd be hooked up with power.

Go old school...

http://www.medicalexpo.com/prod/galemed-corporation/manual-mucus-suction-pumps-68550-510567.html

ladyhk13
12-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Now that's the TRUE survivor part coming forth out of you LadyHK. We knew you had it in you. :p

That was a suggestion for all of you guys with a strong stomach and no sense of smell. I have a great imagination but never something I would do! Y'all enjoy the feast ;) I will hang around and bring in the zombies for ya, how's that?

- - - Updated - - -

Atta girl LH!

That is the nastiest stuff! I had a patient who had to use one and it about made me sick when I was working on him and he had to use it and all that ooey gooey stuff would drop into the jar. How nasty.

Y'all enjoy....maybe if you add chocolate to it it'll taste better?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Sorry, BWRR, I assumed you'd be hooked up with power.

Go old school...

http://www.medicalexpo.com/prod/galemed-corporation/manual-mucus-suction-pumps-68550-510567.html

Yeah she's got me pretty much livin in the shop out back. .............nah. But ya gotta plan mobile brother, always think ahead.

Gunfixr
12-16-2013, 11:40 PM
I don't know about chocolate, but bacon makes everything better.

Bacon bits and boogers.

Kind of like kibbles and bits, but for the serious survivor.

ladyhk13
12-17-2013, 03:33 AM
I don't know about chocolate, but bacon makes everything better.

Bacon bits and boogers.

Kind of like kibbles and bits, but for the serious survivor.

Ah..another sick puppy in the colony.

Gunfixr
12-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Well.....................I try.

Vodin
12-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Eating my pets. It is seriously hard to even contemplate it. And then would I be able to hold it down...

Granted that would provide a warm meal for someone else.

And Boogers with chia seeds add a little cinnamon and you would be good to go.

I would pursue all other possibilities before my 3 dogs.

Sniper-T
12-17-2013, 10:08 PM
If boogers are formed by your nasal tract filtering out dust...

if you put bacon bits in your donor's nose, and then put them in a flour dusty room, would they come out coated like a grain of sand turns into a pearl?

As such, they would be ready for a quick deepfry for extra crunchy-chewy-crunchy bacon bits.

Domeguy
12-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Ah yes...boogers, natures natural snack! Delicious and so nutritious.

mitunnelrat
12-17-2013, 11:48 PM
This i snot what I expected to find when I opened this thread.

ladyhk13
12-18-2013, 12:44 AM
See what you've been missing?

mitunnelrat
12-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Yep! Pure comedy (nose) gold from what I've seen so far.

And that begs the question... is it worth its weight in barter?

Sniper-T
12-18-2013, 09:06 PM
how much do you want? I'll trade you pound for pound for just about anything. Do you want them rolled into a log in a ziplock, or loose in a box like bacon bits?

Too bad I already mailed my secret santa gift, this just gave me an ide for packing material!!

Gunfixr
12-19-2013, 02:52 AM
"Coated like a grain of sand turns into a pearl."

Hhmmmmmmmm, "nose pearls".

Would you like some nose pearls on your oatmeal today? They add a nice tasty crunch.

Nose pearls...........the all-natural, renewable resource food.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-20-2013, 02:21 AM
I'm suddenly having visions of Pecan logs at the Stuckey's stop off of I-95 when I was a wee lad..........oh to be a child again.

Vodin
12-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Pick the ones that are slightly moist yet just crispy. That way you can enjoy the real fruit of your labor.

mitunnelrat
12-22-2013, 01:02 AM
how much do you want? I'll trade you pound for pound for just about anything. Do you want them rolled into a log in a ziplock, or loose in a box like bacon bits?

Too bad I already mailed my secret santa gift, this just gave me an ide for packing material!!

I was thinking to barter my own away. I've been congested for weeks!

2die4
12-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Posted a reply to Stormy in Colorado thread. Thought I'd post here and get your thought.

Would you eat your pet or even another human if that's all that was between you and death in a worst case s.h.t.f. senario ?

I'd eat my useless cats. Probably won't wait until SHTF either. Buncha bums. I want to rename them progressive liberal 1 and progressive liberal 2. Human meat loaf would be my last culinary choice. I would probably test my luck with wild mushrooms and other edible foliage.

Stormfeather
12-22-2013, 03:12 AM
OK, so let me get this straight, you are ok with cats & human meatloaf. . .but only willing to test your luck with mushrooms & edible foilage?!?!? Something ya need to tell us buddy?

It puts the lotion on its body or it gets the hose again!!!!!

2die4
12-22-2013, 04:32 AM
OK, so let me get this straight, you are ok with cats & human meatloaf. . .but only willing to test your luck with mushrooms & edible foilage?!?!? Something ya need to tell us buddy?
Plants don't have enough protein. LOL

ladyhk13
12-29-2013, 04:05 AM
And if you are lucky enough to have a dehydrator you can stock up on a little bit of everything so you won't get bored with your menu!