PDA

View Full Version : Opening a can without a can opener or any tools

Taz Baby
11-18-2013, 12:48 PM
I haven't tried this yet but if anyone does Please tell us about it. This is great to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2NahLjx-Y

izzyscout21
11-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Holy crap. Thats cool.

If you guys need me, ill be out back..... Rubbing all my cans in the back patio.....

Taz Baby
11-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Rub a dub dub

Stormfeather
11-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Im thinking I should start posting all of my little tips and tricks like this, maybe even start my own little youtube channel! My grandpa showed me this when I was a little kid, and didnt even think it was a big deal until I saw it again here!

MegaCPC
11-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Cool trick, I'm going to have to try that.

And Storm, you should do that, I think you have a group of subscribers right here.

Sniper-T
11-18-2013, 10:18 PM
I saw this on another site a while back and was waiting to paste it here until I had a chance to try it myself. Which I did this past week away. I didn't get any pics, as I more or less made a mess of myself, but yes it does work, and on a smoothish surface like concrete works rather neatly and cleanly like in the video.

I, however, am not a suburbanite, so I tried a few other things...

a Rounded fieldstone of granite, about basketball size... worked quickly, although almost too quickly I had to be very careful after the first pass as the can was already oozing, and to work around enough to open it was rather messy

same stone, but with an inplace rotation, back and forth like a firedrill worked extremely well, and said can went from slightly scuffed to a little dampness to empty on the ground in mere seconds.

a slab of fairly smooth limestone. similar results as with the concrete, but since it is softer, it took quite a few passes, and the when I got it opened there was a fine white dust inside.

Barbed wire fence. At one point out hunting, I hadn't seen anything and had a hunger going. so rather than use the pull tab on a can of sardines, I started scratching it along the fence. It was awkward, but worked almost as easily as the concrete.

The back of my knife. I've opened a million cans just by stabbing through and waka waka, around like the old style can openers, but everyone knows that that is inherently dangerous on a good day, especially with some of those cans, but just scraping it across the seal over and over, scrape/turn/scrape/turn, did a decent job at removing material, and also had the can open rather quickly and easily.

On an aisde, I'm sure others have tried to heat the contents of a can over a fire or stove without the benefit of a pot, and know how inherently dangerous and messy it can be. (Think large can of beefaroni inside a fifth wheel trailer) But if you scratch the lid like this (any agregate) until it's just, and I mean just starting to open up, THEN put it into the fire, the steam will vent through rather easily without bubbling all over the place, assuming you don't have it in too too hot of a fire.
By picking the can up by the top with a rag, you can give it a decent shake again without making a mess or burning yourself. a few heat and shake cycles and you can have hot rather than mostly frozen canned food.

disclaimer: no new cans were harmed during these experiments, I used only old stock regularly scheduled to rotate out of my pantry.

helomech
11-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Im thinking I should start posting all of my little tips and tricks like this, maybe even start my own little youtube channel! My grandpa showed me this when I was a little kid, and didnt even think it was a big deal until I saw it again here!

Cool, so it actually does work?

Sniper-T
11-18-2013, 10:24 PM
yeah... I didn't believe it either until I did it. but it really is that easy. the courser the material you're rubbing it on the quicker it goes!

bacpacker
11-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Squeezing on it like he did looks like a good way to lay a hand or finger open. Although there are worse things if your needing a meal.

Sniper-T
11-18-2013, 10:36 PM
I thought about that too, and I wore a pair of leather work gloves, but as long as you're not trying to pop it too soon, or too early, its ok.

a couple cans I palmed like a basketball, and just gave a series of little squeezes, listening to the metal pop. with the heavy work glove, I wasn't concerned.

The funniest thing was, it took about 3-4 cans before I even noticed, that the lid isn't coming off like from a can opener, it has a lip on it, which although a little jagged really isn't that sharp, and only from the top, so by squeezing the can the way he is from the bottom, even if it pops hard, the smooth edge of the lid (the bottom) is what hits your hand. (look closely at the vid at about 1:51)

Socalman
04-19-2015, 02:15 PM
This is very cool. I have not tried it, but put it in my knowledge base. I think I will give it a try when on a camping trip this summer.

Domeguy
04-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Sniper-T. At least we know the cat is going to survive!

Sniper-T
04-20-2015, 11:25 AM
DG, I assume you are refering to the tuna cans that I can open this way for bait, right?