PDA

View Full Version : New Ford F-150 CNG/LPG capable

David Armstrong
11-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Ford has announced that the F-150 pickup will be available in a model that can use both compressed natural gas (CNG)and liquified petroleum gas (LPG) starting in 2014. They are predicting a combined fuel range of 750 miles. As strong believers in redundancy we will be looking pretty hard at adding one of these to our vehicle stable. I really like LPG as a fuel source for long-term storage and having a vehicle that can use it is very tempting.

cwconnertx
12-04-2013, 01:57 AM
I've long thought about converting my out of town work vehicle to dual fuel with propane to give it the extra range to make the trip home if necessary.

I fly 3 or so times a month out of town for work. I keep an SUV in the town I work in, but its about 700 miles if I have to drive home. Thats about twice my gasoline range with the tank full. I try to keep the tank at least 3/4 full at all times, and never let it get below 1/2. But a dual fuel option would allow me to run the vehicle on both gasoline and propane might make it possible to have the extra range. Propane stores indefinitely so I wouldn't have to worry about rotating it like I would if I only added gasoline capacity. Plus the option to run on propane if the grid is down, since propane generally doesn't require electricity to pump at many places could be a benefit.

I've never pulled the trigger, instead weighing just getting a diesel truck with an auxilary tank or something.

I like the idea of the CNG as well, but until there is an affordable home pump I don't know if I am as interested.