PDA

View Full Version : It was once said

eagle326
11-28-2013, 10:13 PM
No man is an island.
I've always took it to mean we always have to deal with all of mankind.

In my world I've always seen it as:
Every man is an island and it's up to him as to how he deals with the greater land mass of humanity.
Does he live on his own island and do the best he can by himself ?
Does his make a chain of islands who are of the same mind ; Or does he join the masses and follow as best he can.

I'm of the school that less is more.

What say you.

Possom
11-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I tried writing metaphorically and replacing individuals with islands but I failed. So I will simply say this.

If everyone tended to their own affairs and did not attempt to mettle into the affairs of others we would all be better off.

We all have to interact with one another, alliances are formed to better our community as a whole. When those alliances begin to hinder the liberty of the individual for the benefit of the masses only trouble will follow. When the leaders of the alliance start believing they are better at making decisions for the individual then the individual himself is then the alliance will eventually fail.

It is everyone's responsibility to take care of his own "island". No alliance is guaranteed to last.

No man is an island but every man is his own destiny. Ultimately we have only ourselves to rely on. First and foremost I am an individual.

I did manage to get an island or two in there.

eagle326
11-29-2013, 12:14 AM
I concur completely Possum. A very well stated response. Yes each person is born with the right to form or deny alliances as they see fit .
Yet every man's destiny lies within his own choices towards his future endeavors. If the majority is allowed to dictate every man's path then individual freedom is but a barren skeleton of bleached bones of failure. Only when man is allowed to do as he wishes without doing harm to others are they totally free.
We are now at this point in time; A nation of 2 islands.
1- Those who know what's best for me even if I don't believe so.
2 - And those of us who wish no harm or control over their fellow man.

We're at loggerheads of different opinions between 2 camps and the fires are getting hotter.
just my 2 cents

Stormfeather
11-29-2013, 04:00 AM
You guys been hitting the Thanksgiving Moonshine again?

eagle326
11-29-2013, 04:15 AM
You guys been hitting the Thanksgiving Moonshine again?

No ; But I wouldn't turn it down. For ( cough; cough ) medicinal purposes you know.

Stormfeather
11-29-2013, 04:58 AM
I had WAYYY to much of it earlier, got me starting to drunk talk. . .

MegaCPC
11-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I think Possom's reply is right on. I couldn't agree more.

Grumpy Old Man
12-05-2013, 01:51 AM
"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. "

This is from John Donne's meditation 17 as he lay dying.

I believe he is referring to being a part of mankind. But I agree that we are each responsible for our own selves. But, I am a part of a greater whole- Much as I may despise it. Ol' Grumpy the Hermit takes care of himself, But as Matthew 25:40 says

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Gunfixr
12-07-2013, 12:17 AM
"No man is an island".
Could be a lot of things, but, at least in part, man is a "herd animal", meaning we tend to gather among others of our kind. We seek the company of the opposite sex (well some of us, anyway) for many things, and the two sexes complete each other. Man cannot successfully spend his life entirely alone, he must interact with others at some level.

How much varies.