PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight question. Echo? Anyone?

MegaCPC
11-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Looking for a new EDC light and also a compact light for a pack I'm putting together.

Not brand picky at all, my criteria is simple: AA batteries (most of my other electronic gear uses them) and simple ruggedness. I would like the EDC light to have a clip on it but it's not essential.

I'm really leaning towards the Fenix LD series, perhaps the LD22 for EDC. I've read mostly excellent reviews on the LDs, and the cost isnt very high at all, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience whether good or bad. Thanks.

helomech
11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
I have a streamlight that fits your description, that I have had for about 8 years now. Use it every day at work, and it is going strong. It is a LED light.

FL-Jeeper
11-29-2013, 11:16 PM
http://www.phantomlights.com

Give em a try, I love mine.

rentprop1
11-29-2013, 11:27 PM
http://www.foursevens.com/products/QPA-AE

bacpacker
11-30-2013, 01:47 PM
I have 2 Streamlights that are both 5+ yo and have never had a problem. The Fenix brand get real high marks on any review I have read on them.

izzyscout21
11-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Ive got Streamlights, Surefires, and a few others. But one of my favorites is my Pelican 2360.
Its not an expensive light, runs off AAs, and is very bright. Its worth a look.

MegaCPC
12-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I have some more research to do.

Possom
12-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Not one of the new age tactical lights but I prefer sticking with a maglite led. I have 4 or 5 of them.

Gunfixr
12-06-2013, 01:16 AM
I put LEDs in several of my smaller Maglights and was pretty disappointed. I've been thinking of going back to the regular bulbs on those.

Coleman has quite a few small but quite bright lights that use either AA or AAA batteries. Aluminum housings, o-ring sealed, some come with colored filters. We have several, they've held up well for several years now.

robin48
12-08-2013, 04:49 AM
I'm a big fan of the Nebo line

Possom
12-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I have never changed out a maglite to an LED bulb. Didn't know that was possible. The ones I have came in LED.

Since the power has been out for four days now I dug out my old sure fire tac light to see to get around outside with. It is a great light but uses cr123 batteries. Which was fine when the military was buying me batteries. Now it gets expensive quick.

Gunfixr
12-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Well, I was buying Maglights when they were "the shit", using Krypton bulbs.
Surefire was probably only somebody's dream then, and LEDs were used on stereo equipment, not for lighting.

bourneshooter
12-26-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm a Surefire or Die guy, who will only run Surefire's for weapon mounted lights and currently all but one of my handheld lights is Surefire.

That said, when I got to play with the new Inforce handheld lights and the newer Streamlight Protac (?) series, I was pretty impressed with them. I haven't bought them of course because my experience with anything but Surefire has been less than steller when I have warranty problems. I have yet to be able to make contact with a Streamlight rep over several years of trying so they are out. Inforce does seem to be legitimate, as they were very helpful when I talked to them and T&E'd several of their lights. The handhelds impressed me, the weapon mounted.... not quite there.