PDA

View Full Version : Anybody into camping?

piranha2
12-02-2013, 11:22 PM
I realize that most of you have jobs, and I must say, keep working hard and paying into SS, so I can continue to draw mine.
That being said, I have been getting into it lately and have enjoyed it a lot. I am looking at State Parks, National Forests, WMAs, etc. for the cheapest places, since I camp alone so far. So, any ideas, pointers, CHEAP or FREE places to camp, let me know. I am doing the Florida thing now, may go further later.

bacpacker
12-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Backpacking in the Great Smoky Mountians!

Sniper-T
12-03-2013, 12:06 AM
around here we have something called 'crown land' available to anyone for just about anything. pitch a tent and stay as long as you like.

piranha2
12-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Damn - might have to come up that way. When it warms up.

Possom
12-03-2013, 12:13 AM
We have the Ouachita national forest here to camp in. 1.8 million acres, camp wherever you like just leave it like you found it. There are a lot of really neat hiking and backpacking trails here as well.

Sniper-T
12-03-2013, 01:20 AM
shit, pal... you can always pitch a tent in my back 40, and you'll disappear for as long as you like too...

ak474u
12-03-2013, 01:44 AM
I used to love camping, I did it every weekend for years. Adult responsibilities get in the way and such. I'm looking forward to getting back out and teaching my son the things my daddy taught me. My wife thinks that camping is staying at a Sheraton that doesn't have a kitchenette in the room, so we'll be going camping "just us dudes" as my 3-1/2 year old says. Texas has some great places, I like camping in East TX because there's actual shade to sit in when its hot. Caddo Lake and Lake Bastrop were fun places to camp when I was a kid.

MegaCPC
12-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Wish I could get out more. Camping is my favorite way to get experienced with my gear and figure out what works and what doesn't.

FL-Jeeper
12-04-2013, 12:42 AM
I realize that most of you have jobs, and I must say, keep working hard and paying into SS, so I can continue to draw mine.
That being said, I have been getting into it lately and have enjoyed it a lot. I am looking at State Parks, National Forests, WMAs, etc. for the cheapest places, since I camp alone so far. So, any ideas, pointers, CHEAP or FREE places to camp, let me know. I am doing the Florida thing now, may go further later.

Howdy! I think you'll find many of the WMA's have primitive camping for little to no fee. Access to most is coordinated via a simple phone call to the local ranger. Contact numbers are typically found at the entrances or online. Myfwc.com is your online resource for maps & other info.

Although many state parks have FCFS sites, reserveamerica.com is your "go-to" resource for reserving camp sites in any Florida state park. Www.floridastateparks.org is another good site.

ElevenBravo
12-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Howdy, did someone mention CAMPING?

RV? Thats for the privileged! If your not primitive camping, your NOT CAMPING!

We got a few good spots, some remote... close to me in Craig County along Rt. 604.2, if you didnt bring it, you dont have it!

Got a pop up shelter that is for the Doodie bag in a bucket, a few tents, sleeping bags, coleman lanterns, coleman stove, Zodi shower which works GREAT for washing dishes AND taking a shower, etc, etc..

I *LOVE* getting into the woods and just blend with nature.

However, I am looking into getting a Spot sat phone ($499) since the places I go, cell signals were lost a LONG time ago! Id like to have something to check in with the wife (NOT a primitive camper) and in case of emergency.

So... camping for me, is like bivouacking when I was in the Infantry, except I can do what I want, when I want. :-)

The best sleep I get is OUTDOORS!

EB

mitunnelrat
12-04-2013, 10:52 PM
I love camping, and find it incredibly frustrating I've gone an entire year without a single night out! There's still time though, some of my most "interesting" experiences have come about mid-winter, including that time I packed up at midnight because I didn't know how to keep my fire going in the rain (do now.)

That trip I only went out with a tarp and a poncho liner. I've been out in similar conditions with a bivy bag, and the bivy bag & tarp. I've primitive camped with a one man tent, and took the same one along to the meet n greet at the campground. My next most favorite trip though was car camping with a 4 man tent. Finally, I've got an ENO singlenest hammock I'd like to get set up, which will come in due time.

Usually when I do something extreme/ new I'll just flop in the woods at my mom's house. I like having that safety net while its still available. Not to mention the fact its free ;) Aside from that note I can't say much more on where you can camp, it seems like you've gotten some good responses there already anyway.

Otherwise, the only other thing I've noticed is I keep paring down what I carry out with me, and try to reduce the weight/ get multi-purpose items for the gear I do take. Ultralight techniques have my attention right now. I think they're a camping prepper's best friend because we already tend to carry so much more than the average person. The term ounces lead to pounds and pounds lead to pain is definitely no joke. In UL they go down to grams. I've seen where some folks will scoff at that, but since grams lead to ounces... Well, lets just say it makes sense to me.

bacpacker
12-05-2013, 12:21 AM
MIT, I admire your drive to go UL. I have went like that to some degree, but not completely. Should I ever get the chance to fulfill one of my dreams, walking the entire AT (Appalachin Trail), UL is a major plus to completing that task.

One thing that concerns me with it is the fact that for some gear weight savings may lead to equipment not having as long of a life span as regular gear. I don't have near enough experience with it to speak with any knowledge. I just know I would hate to get caught in a bad situation and my gear fail me, espically in bad weather.

Possom
12-05-2013, 01:28 AM
My wife and I do a few back packing trips a year. Nothing too big. 3 or 4 miles in. Sometimes the kids come with us. I prefer a 10 or 15 mile hike but she usually peters out before then. I have been wanting to do the ouachita trail. It's 235 miles end to end. Would take me a couple weeks but would be a neat experience.

Grumpy Old Man
12-05-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm a truck camper. My knees won't hold up to backpacking anymore. But I like getting out and being at one with nature.

helomech
12-05-2013, 02:08 AM
We live out in the woods, so no camping for us. Except when the weather is nice and we put the windows up on the house and enjoy the air.

LUNCHBOX
12-05-2013, 03:34 AM
I've camped from backpacking to car camping, even an rv once or twice. There is just something about being out there that gives me a better feeling. My girls are already talking about getting out next summer and going to Red River George.

bacpacker
12-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Grumpy, as I've gotten older we went to a pop up at times and now to a fixed sided camper. While we still backpack from time to time, we found that its all fun just different. My knees and back aren't what they used to be so I just take what ever I feel up to. RV camping is a damn site better than nothing.

mitunnelrat
12-05-2013, 05:21 PM
MIT, I admire your drive to go UL. I have went like that to some degree, but not completely. Should I ever get the chance to fulfill one of my dreams, walking the entire AT (Appalachin Trail), UL is a major plus to completing that task.

One thing that concerns me with it is the fact that for some gear weight savings may lead to equipment not having as long of a life span as regular gear. I don't have near enough experience with it to speak with any knowledge. I just know I would hate to get caught in a bad situation and my gear fail me, espically in bad weather.

Same here, which is why I'm not going all out UL either. Maybe in due time.

I'd love to thru hike the AT myself, and thought I might have the opportunity next spring, but the trail is longer than I remembered and I won't have time between semesters at school.

msomnipotent
12-06-2013, 03:47 PM
My husband and I are just getting back into camping. Our gear was so old that we have to replace everything. I cannot stress the importance of testing your gear before you leave or plan on staying at the Super 8. I found that out the hard way! I just wish the campsites were not so expensive here, and they are very competitive to reserve. The place my husband's family always goes to is already sold out for the coming summer.

Marthony
12-06-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm grateful that I was raised in an outdoorsy family. We did 1 or 2 family trips a year into the AB/BC rockies for hiking. It was trailer camping.

My wife & I tent camp a bit, but it seems hard to find the time and we've only gone once/year lately. We are in camping country but are moving away from the modern campground as it seems less of a true camping experience when there's a group of strangers every 30-40' in the wooded parking lot, and earplugs are mandatory for a decent night's sleep.

The other year we went out to the Ghost land use area (Alberta, NW of Calgary) and found a nice spot there. We only knew there were other people when a car door was slammed...200m that direction through the trees! I did have a challenge turning off the radar though - every sound made me wonder if a bear was checking us out.

This summer we took a week end went up to the BC/Yukon border area, borrowing a tent trailer from relatives. A bit of work to set up almost each night when you're not familiar with it, but worth it as it rained almost each night. The Liard hot springs were awesome and the highlight of the trip. I'm never so happy to be rained on as when I'm in a hot spring!

I'd like to try some minimalist camping, in winter as well. Just have to work up the motivation to go back to the Ghost area. =)

bacpacker
12-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Same here, which is why I'm not going all out UL either. Maybe in due time.

I'd love to thru hike the AT myself, and thought I might have the opportunity next spring, but the trail is longer than I remembered and I won't have time between semesters at school.

2200+ miles! I don't recall the record for it, but I want to say it was a little over a month. With a shit load of support. Most folks fall somewhere between 3-6 months. From what time I have spent on the trail, I would want to go closer to the 6 month (or more) side. There is so much to see along the way. Some areas I'm sure I would want to blow thru, but much of it I would hate to fly thru and not get a chance to enjoy. That includes some of the trail towns you pass thru. Hot Springs, NC and Damascus, VA are two that come to mind. I have considered, just doing sections at different times over several years. I will look up a some titles to books I have about the trail and put them up for you.

Sniper-T
12-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Start planning now and in a few years you can hike the Trans Canada Trail. Supposed to be complete in 2017. Currently it's over 17000 km (10000 mi) long and upon completion will be 23500 km (almost 15000 mi) long.

pack an extra water.

http://tctrail.ca/about-the-trail/facts-about-the-trail/

bacpacker
12-10-2013, 11:22 PM
That sounds like fun. I wonder how resupplying would work. On the AT there are post offices all along the trail spread out a few days to a couple weeks apart. It would be a bear trying to carry 3 months worth of food at the start of the trip.

ElevenBravo
12-11-2013, 11:09 PM
I through hike the AT pretty regular, my favourite section is close to me on Catawaba Mountain.

I hike up to Dragons Tooth or McAfees Knob, relax a bit and go back to the truck and go home, because then Im am THROUGH for the day! HAHA!

EB

bacpacker
12-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Funny there EB! My favorite section (that I've done so far) is between Lemon Gap, NC and Hot Spring, NC. about 35-40 miles. Great views, plenty of good water, & fire wood everywhere.

belew
12-12-2013, 03:28 AM
Thru hiking the AT is like a bunch of 4 to 7 day hikes with breaks in between to resupply. If you want better than average food mail drops are a good way to go. My wife did a few long section hikes. She used mail drops for homemade dehydrated food. It's lighter than what you can get at the stores and it's easy to trade.

mitunnelrat
12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
2200+ miles! I don't recall the record for it, but I want to say it was a little over a month. With a shit load of support. Most folks fall somewhere between 3-6 months. From what time I have spent on the trail, I would want to go closer to the 6 month (or more) side. There is so much to see along the way. Some areas I'm sure I would want to blow thru, but much of it I would hate to fly thru and not get a chance to enjoy. That includes some of the trail towns you pass thru. Hot Springs, NC and Damascus, VA are two that come to mind. I have considered, just doing sections at different times over several years. I will look up a some titles to books I have about the trail and put them up for you.

Yeah... lol. I'm not well enough conditioned nor well supported enough for that. I figured it'd take me roughly 5 months to do it when I realized it was 2200 miles long. Maybe I should be looking at doing a section each year, and just get it done that way.

ElevenBravo
12-12-2013, 08:22 PM
If I started a real through hike on the AT, my animal ridden remains would be found about 12 miles from my truck.

Sooo... if I ever say Im going to TH the AT and you never hear back, thats where they should start looking.

EB

bacpacker
12-13-2013, 12:34 AM
MIT the conditioning will come about 3 weeks into the trail. At least part of it. Planning a trip and boxing things up and having them addresses and left with a VERY trusted party with a list of box numbers to ship to a given location at a certain time period. This period most likely will change a few times during the trip.
Planning is a huge part of the trip itself. Home made dehydrated meals are the way to go for at least dinner. Light and can be re-hydrating thru the day while you are moving and ready to cook when you get camp set up.
Doing a 2-6 week section is very doable, if you can get off work for it. I have a book that an older couple wrote that basically day hiked the whole trail. That would be the most expensive way by far.

ak474u
12-13-2013, 01:14 PM
MIT the conditioning will come about 3 weeks into the trail. At least part of it. Planning a trip and boxing things up and having them addresses and left with a VERY trusted party with a list of box numbers to ship to a given location at a certain time period. This period most likely will change a few times during the trip.
Planning is a huge part of the trip itself. Home made dehydrated meals are the way to go for at least dinner. Light and can be re-hydrating thru the day while you are moving and ready to cook when you get camp set up.
Doing a 2-6 week section is very doable, if you can get off work for it. I have a book that an older couple wrote that basically day hiked the whole trail. That would be the most expensive way by far.

I would just import a whole village of Sherpas and they could carry everything for the whole trip. Lol

Those guys are the chuck Norris of hikers.

Domeguy
12-13-2013, 03:51 PM
I used to love camping, I did it every weekend for years. Adult responsibilities get in the way and such. I'm looking forward to getting back out and teaching my son the things my daddy taught me. My wife thinks that camping is staying at a Sheraton that doesn't have a kitchenette in the room, so we'll be going camping "just us dudes" as my 3-1/2 year old says. Texas has some great places, I like camping in East TX because there's actual shade to sit in when its hot. Caddo Lake and Lake Bastrop were fun places to camp when I was a kid.

Your lucky, Domegal now insists on a 5 star resort with a spa package. I told her last week about wanting to go to Easter Island, but knowing her requirements, I said I guess it won't happen unless I went by myself. She said she would go, but just stay at one of the hotels and hang out by the pool, or do some shopping. I said I don't think that is going to be possible, and when she asked why, I had to show her on a map as to why, "it's about 2000 miles to the nearest spa", so she agreed that on that trip I could go alone.

izzyscout21
12-14-2013, 01:35 PM
I absolutely love to camp, but its been a real struggle to get out the past few years.

I grew up in Scouting, in a good troop that was very active. My parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles planned big family camping trips all the time.

Ive had the chance to camp all over this country, and many parts of Europe, especially Germany and France.

I wish i could get out more as is now.

Sniper-T
12-16-2013, 10:29 PM
kids are old enough Izzy, no? maybe not hardcore, but say a KOA or something to get them started??

mitunnelrat
12-25-2013, 09:40 AM
I ran into decent eBook on UL concepts tonight. I'll get a thread posted on it within the next couple hours. Dude got me thinking some more.

ElevenBravo
12-25-2013, 12:28 PM
I got my daughter started in the back yard with a few camps, then to Roanoke Mountain Campground, which is close... occupied by people and has flush chitters in a water house (but no shower). I then took her further into Craig for a true camp site but it was primitive... you dont bring it, you dont have it... it had vault toilets though. The last thing we did was a remote camp in the woods... NOTHING around.

Ive got a trailer built off a pickup bed, but no pickup bed... its wooden framed now. Im looking to get a six foot pickup bed to put on it, then put a camper cap on it, and use it to haul all the gear, and then shelter in it. Im looking at some futon mattresses on ebay for a bed. Sure, still need sleeping bags, etc.. BUT it will be a NICE hard shelter to keep the wind, rain and snow off and wont have to pitch a tent! Thats the plan anyway...

EB

Caveman Survival
01-09-2014, 04:05 AM
New poster on these forums... I hope to be an active participant however.

I am an active camper in the summer and a sporadic camper in the winter. I live in Winnipeg Canada (yes the place on the news that was colder than mars) so in the winter it's a little tougher to get out. In the summer it's a different story.

I try to do at least an overnight every weekend, and I do a 7 day canoe trip once a year and shore camp along the way. When I started doing the trip I went all out, coolers, tents, three tote boxes for way too much gear. As I became more adept at minimalist camping I found what I needed to bring was significantly less than what I wanted to bring.

Nothing beats getting out under the stars away from everyone and everything.

mitunnelrat
01-09-2014, 05:09 AM
Welcome to the forum, CS.

bacpacker
01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. Good bunch of folks here. I look forward to your posting.

We have a few others on here from Canada.

ElevenBravo
01-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Welcome Cave! Glad to have you!

EB