PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Hiker Water Filter Deal from Emergency Essentials

The Stig
07-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Emergency Essentials has a combo of a Katadyn Hiker water filter and neglagine style bottle for $47.89.

If you are looking for a small, easily transportable and basic water filter, this may be a good option for you. More details HERE (http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_WP%20F155_A_name_E_Katadyn%20Hi ker%20and%20Blue%20Water%20Bottle%20Combo)

LUNCHBOX
07-05-2011, 01:41 AM
I have one, well worth the money. I would recommend it.

bacpacker
07-05-2011, 01:49 AM
I need to look into these. I have an older Pur Purifier that is great and takes out just about anything there us. But it is heavy and bulky, 2lbs IIRC.
I also got a Strei Pen that is much lighter and kills viruses with UV light. Much lighter and more compact. It's in my GHB.
I need to get another smaller unit to go in the wife's GHB. Was thinking about a new model Strei Pen, but kathdyn has been around forever and has a great name. Hearing a good review from you guys helps.

mitunnelrat
07-06-2011, 05:38 PM
They are great filters, but I will stress reading the care and use instructions carefully! I got seriously ill after the second time using mine, and can't say for sure that I didn't do it to myself. I had it stored for a long time between uses, and its always possible I didn't store it correctly, but when I did use it I didn't know I was drawing water from a freshly contaminated source. Soil run off full of manure/ chemicals from a farm 20 miles up river had killed every bit of wildlife along a 15 mile stretch between there and my fishing hole. 3 days later I had flu like symptoms. Two days after that I had to call for a ride to the hospital because I couldn't move, eat, or drink. I spent 6 hours in there getting blood drawn, rehydrated, and pumped full of antibiotics. They were surprised all they found was a bladder infection.

I will state that I personally think its more likely the water I drank that took me out. Bladder infections are commonly caused by E. Coli, which fits with the runoff issue, and when left untreated can lead to a more serious condition called Pyelonephritis, which presents with nausea and fever, among other things, and if left untreated can eventually lead to kidney failure and death. I'm guessing I was in the early stages of this when I hit the ER. Treatment is the same as a lower UTI, with antibiotics, and I was good to go after a normal course of them. All told, I was in the ER for 6 hours,out of work for a week, and my primary Dr. was amazed I didn't get admitted.

I'm still not going to take any chances though. I just straight up pitched the filter cartridge thinking to replace it, and ended up buying a whole new unit anyway. One of these days I'll get around to ordering a new cartridge for the first one, and have two filters.

Aside from that, I'm definitely favoring a double treatment method these days. Its just a matter of determining which processes will be the most convenient and effective.

I

LUNCHBOX
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I agree, I wash my filter after each trip and in the off season (winter) when its not in use I pitch the old one and replace it for the new year. I also buy a new filter to have on hand just in case. I think if you have a favorite watering hole in your area that you use it would be a good idea to canvas the area to see if you might have a factory/plant that could dump or leak un-knowingly into your water source.

TroubleShooter
07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter - Free Shipping at REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/695265/msr-miniworks-ex-water-filter)

I have this one........

•Ceramic/carbon Marathon™ EX element effectively removes bacteria and protozoa including giardia and cryptosporidia
•Also removes chemicals including pesticides, industrial pollutants, iodine and chlorine
•Filter can be cleaned over and over for maximum field life

Pretty much is a ceramic filter, you use a green scouring pad to clean when filter becomes dirty, there is a filter guide tool which gauges the diameter of the ceramic filter for replacement....This whole unit is field cleanable and repairable....