PDA

View Full Version : Researchers find 7,300-sq-mile ring of mercury around tar sands in Canada

Taz Baby
01-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Just found this and thought I would share. Is this for real? Does anyone know ?

Sniper have you heard anything about this?

Scientists have found a more than 7,300-square-mile ring of land and water contaminated by mercury surrounding the tar sands in Alberta, where energy companies are producing oil and shipping it throughout Canada and the U.S.

Government scientists are preparing to publish a report that found levels of mercury are up to 16 times higher around the tar-sand operations — principally due to the excavation and transportation of bitumen in the sands by oil and gas companies, according to Postmedia-owned Canadian newspapers like The Vancouver Sun.

Environment Canada researcher Jane Kirk recently presented the findings at a toxicology conference in Nashville, Tenn.

The revelations add to growing concerns over the environmental impact of mining the tar sands. Many environmentalists charge that extracting oil from the sands will lead to an increase in carbon emissions, the destruction of the land, water contamination and health problems for Canadians. The debate over the tar sands crossed over into the United States when energy company TransCanada proposed building the Keystone XL pipeline to transport crude oil to the southeastern U.S. for refining and distribution.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/12/29/7-500-mile-ring-ofmercuryfoundaroundcanadastarsands.html

Fidel MD
01-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah. Guess what? It was there before man was.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Taz, It sounds like another great reason for us to stop the whole oil production thing in North America all together. I found mercury in my shop, apple barn bathroom and kitchen this morning and so far I've gone to the bathroom twice, drank four cups of coffee from city water that's came from God knows where and so far i still feel like shit. I guess I'm going to have to go and start up my gas guzzling 99 suburban that gets the same mileage as all the new flex fuel ones that are brand new. I detect a little sarcasm here..............

But as far as you post goes, yes I believe they found mercury there............but go some place else and screw with them for a change, change their way of living and stay the fuck off my continent. If you listen to them to long you'll get brain damage, it's a proven fact, look at Nancy Pelosi. she can't talk for shit, she makes absolutely no sense what so ever. The woman's a complete idiot. OK, I'm done. Thanks for the heads up Taz!

bacpacker
01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
The Mercury has always been there most likely. My guess would be that maybe the process they are using could concentrating it somehow.

ak474u
01-02-2014, 08:15 PM
As much BS as they've cooked up to stop the Keystone pipeline, I think I'd become an honorary citizen of Missouri, and make them show me.

Sniper-T
01-03-2014, 12:17 AM
I emailed my brother, he has done more to develop the tar sands than almost anyone. it's probably true, but wouldn't be any different than anywhere else. Mercury is prevalent in most canadian land, and if you even read something as benign as the different fishing guides there are certain lakes that they recommend not eating the fish or only consuming them once a month... all due to mercury. Which of course is naturally occuring.

souns like a shitpile of green peace type nonsense.