PDA

View Full Version : Plug in your diesel? YES!

ElevenBravo
01-09-2014, 10:16 PM
DD: 1982 K5 Blazer with 6.2L Detroit Diesel, 700R4 and 4:11 gears... Yeah, it runs good.

Anywho... Last winter, I was concerned about using too much juice, so I set my block heater on a timer... I had it set for 2 hours prior to my start time. I didnt get much advantage, start up was no better than without block heater.

This year, I started plugging up the truck before bed.. It runs the block heater a minimum of 7 hours before start time.

I can tell you, it makes a MAJOR difference in start up!

The other day, it was friggin * two degrees f * and the truck started up like a 70 degree summer morning, I swear to you! This morning it was 32 and it started on FIRST try with glow plugs only running 25 seconds...

Before, when I ran the block heater for 2 hours prior to start, it started with coughing and argument.

So, lesson learned: Run it ALL NIGHT, dont worry about the electric bill, I think its only 600w anyway so thats not much... Even it its 1,000w which some are... its worth the money to have such an easy and less wearing start up.

So the moral of the story is, the BLOCK HEATER WORKS, if you GIVE IT TIME.

BTW, since it was so cold, and my batteries are nearing EOL, I had them on a Schumaker 20A automatic battery charger over night too... Spun up like a new truck in sub freezing temp.

EB

Link to my block heater, which was IN STOCK ot O!
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ZRO0/3100059/01372.oap?year=1982&make=Chevrolet&model=K5%2BBlazer&vi=1050501&ck=Search_heater_01372_1050501_2301&keyword=heater&pt=01372&ppt=C0332

No body else even knew what I was asking for...

Kodiak
01-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Plugged mine in and it tripped a breaker, might need to replace the cord.

ElevenBravo
01-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Or possibly a shorted/bad heating element.

EB

Sniper-T
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM
lol. you know what a diesel is called up here when it isn't plugged in? parked!

Once you get to the really cold temps even gas engines need them. most people plug in from November to April, at home an at work. and you hope to hell that you don't have to spend too long at the mall or skating rink, or wherever.

Something like 90% of the vehicles stolen here last month were running at thee time, because people didn't trust them to start after being left outsie for an hour or so.

Possom
01-13-2014, 01:18 AM
Damn sniper you need to move south! I know our economy sucks and we have a communist for president but by God at least it's warmer here.

idahobob
01-18-2014, 11:20 AM
I have an '89 Dodge with a Cummins. I keep it plugged in. Less wear and tear on the engine, starter, and battery. :D

Bob
III