PDA

View Full Version : Medical emergencies in a grid down scenario

Caveman Survival
01-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I can't say that I haven't thought about this before, but recent events have placed it to the forefront of my thought process.

For the past year I have been dealing with gallstones. I have a pretty high tolerance to pain so it's been something that I have been 'working' through without too much thought put into it. I'm not a huge fan of medicines or hospitals but understand that in extreme conditions they are a necessary evil.

Friday night it all came to a head and I was rushed in for emergency surgery on Saturday to have the gallbladder removed. Everything went fine and I was back home Sunday after a night of monitoring. I'm not down and out but the majority of my winter harvesting and hiking plans are done for the year.

I'm stubborn and can fight thru most pain in order to get things done... However I realize that in a grid down scenario I'm still screwed because those in my family do not have the constitution to fight thru serious situations, and if I am incapacitated in anyway, our entire party will be in danger. Or even worse yet, something happens to one of them that only an institution can remedy... One that cannot be accessed.

I was wondering what contingencies the community has in place for medical emergencies in a grid down scenario. Your plans may help to stimulate my own plans and preperations.

( I must note I do have many friends and family in the medical profession, but in a grid down situation I may not be able to connect with them in time)

LUNCHBOX
01-20-2014, 11:45 PM
This scenario for me is the worst. Food, water, security can/are being handled. A major medical issue is my weakest point. There are hospitals/clinics for man/animal around my area but they will be of no use without the know-how.

mitunnelrat
01-21-2014, 12:50 AM
This is one of the reasons why I decided to get a degree in nursing. However, if my Anatomy/Physiology professor is correct I may follow his advice and go for the gusto: Dr... He claims the waiting list on nursing programs is so long now you might as well. Its the first I've heard that though, and something I need to check into.

Possom
01-21-2014, 01:19 AM
The waiting list for LPN isn't bad here in Arkansas. RN is a little more back logged but not that bad. I am trying to get my wife to get her RN. She has been working as an LPN for about 6 years. Time for her to finish up.

ladyhk13
01-21-2014, 01:45 AM
MTR I agree with Possom. The LNP would probably be a better choice than Dr. It isn't as long but you can still write scripts. Many places are using them instead of docs and in my experience they are every bit as good as a doc. One of my best friends is one and she knows more than most docs I have seen. Just a thought.

Possom
01-21-2014, 02:00 AM
Nurse practitioners are getting black balled by tricare though. My tricare prime will not cover a nurse practitioner.

ladyhk13
01-21-2014, 02:12 AM
Really? I had not heard that one yet. That stinks!

ditchmedic
01-21-2014, 03:33 AM
The waiting list for LPN isn't bad here in Arkansas. RN is a little more back logged but not that bad. I am trying to get my wife to get her RN. She has been working as an LPN for about 6 years. Time for her to finish up.

MTR I agree with Possom. The LNP would probably be a better choice than Dr. It isn't as long but you can still write scripts. Many places are using them instead of docs and in my experience they are every bit as good as a doc. One of my best friends is one and she knows more than most docs I have seen. Just a thought.

Possum is speaking of a licensed practical nurse, which Is essentially halfway to RN. Typically found in nursing homes. Lady is thinking nurse practictioner.

ak474u
01-21-2014, 03:47 AM
Possum is speaking of a licensed practical nurse, which Is essentially halfway to RN. Typically found in nursing homes. Lady is thinking nurse practictioner.

My sister, mom, sister in law, and niece all work for HCA hospitals, and they are forcing all 2 year degree nurses to go back to school, and not hiring any more non-BSN nurses. My niece and SIL are 2 year, and granfathered in for a few more years, but their jobs are paying for the BSN program. I'd at least go BSN.

ladyhk13
01-21-2014, 03:55 AM
Right. I got the LNP part correct, the LPN is just a glorified nurses aid now. I was thinking Possom was talking about LNP since there would be no reason for MTR to go into a lower level program.

- - - Updated - - -

My girlfriend is a NP and just took the exam to work for DoD. She travels wherever they need her to go. There are very few licensed in the country to do this. Might be a thought.

ditchmedic
01-21-2014, 04:24 AM
To answer the OP question, being in EMS I handle certain medications everyday. If things really got bad (to the point legal recourse is non existent), I have fairly easy access to certain medications that I wont mention.

That would be a absolute SHTF TEOTWAWKI type thing though.

Possom
01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Right. I got the LNP part correct, the LPN is just a glorified nurses aid now. I was thinking Possom was talking about LNP since there would be no reason for MTR to go into a lower level program.

- - - Updated - - -

My girlfriend is a NP and just took the exam to work for DoD. She travels wherever they need her to go. There are very few licensed in the country to do this. Might be a thought.

The only thing an LPN can't do is work ER. All of your school nurses are LPN as well as nursing home nurses. The next time I hear my wife is doing chest compressions on someone or running an IV or putting in a cath I will be sure to tell her to knock that off cause she is just a glorified aid.

mitunnelrat
01-21-2014, 02:23 PM
I caught the difference between the two. My mom's and LPN and she worked in an office with a nurse practitioner. I'm at a two year college right now, so i have no reference to check here, but wouldn't the nurse practitioner still be part of a nursing program?

And a BSN is becoming a requirement here too. One of my classmates last semester was working on hers. People she was training were passing her by in promotions and opportunities from how it sounded.

EMT was my initial inclination, but apssbc laid some of that out for me and it wasnt quite what I needed. Nursing comes closest I think.

ditchmedic
01-21-2014, 05:02 PM
LPN's do work In the ER. Results may vary based on location but here they work as techs. Albeit an expanded scope and more pay than a tech without medical training. NP is a "masters" of nursing. You must be a BSN first.

Most (again varies by location) hospitals are transitioning to BSN for MAGNET recognition.

Possom
01-21-2014, 06:18 PM
I was talking about the ER here local. I'm sure it will vary area to area.

ladyhk13
01-21-2014, 07:30 PM
The only thing an LPN can't do is work ER. All of your school nurses are LPN as well as nursing home nurses. The next time I hear my wife is doing chest compressions on someone or running an IV or putting in a cath I will be sure to tell her to knock that off cause she is just a glorified aid.

Nothing against your wife...sorry. Years ago LPNs were much more common and did a lot more work, they started not using them as much and having the RNs take over the more complicated patient care and as the candy stripers left more of the lower level work fell to the aids and LPNs. Those LPNs who have been in the field for many years and have a specialty are the ones who thrive but I wouldn't suggest someone going for that degree if they are able to go for such a higher one like MTR is.
Again, this was nothing against your wife and I'm sure she does a great job and is lucky to be in a position to have the freedom to do the kind of work she does. I know in the area of fl I lived LPNs had a very hard time finding work anywhere other than nursing homes unless they had years on the job and were specialized like critical care or cardiac and even then the hospitals wanted them to go back to school and get their RN. And with the RNs they wanted them to upgrade from the 2 year program to the 4 year. I imagine it has something to do with your area and supply and demand.

Stormfeather
01-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Caveman, hope you are feeling better first off.
And yes, you are smart to start thinking about medical as far as prepping. Our bug-out plan has a doctor and a nurse included in on it. just food for thought.
If you have friends in the medical industry, then by all means, start approaching them and seeing if they are making any plans for when things can go sideways. Start with a simple temporary grid down approach and work from there.