PDA

View Full Version : Fall out shelter

ditchmedic
01-22-2014, 04:29 AM
I know nobody has openly admitted to having a fall out shelter, but I know a few of you have a plan. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury or access that some of you have, or the knowledge.

But in the highly unlikely scenario that There were a nuclear attack I hope to have a plan. Essentially All I have to work with is a crawl space. It's not much but there is at least an area that I can mostly stand in, but it is in an outside corner, but only about 18 inches of exposed block. This is also the lowest point where water collects to the sump so I would have to expect radiated water. Is it possible to make this mostly radiation proof? In a perfect world it would be completely radiation proof cause of the little one. About the only Idea I have is to build walls from ground to floor and sand bag the sides for extra protection. As far as overhead protection, given enough time all I could really do is just fill the room with furniture. There would be know way out if the house were burned, so that is a downfall.

Any input? I hope to post photos sometime today if I make it down there.

realist
02-01-2014, 03:20 AM
Radiation in the form of fall out will land everywhere it blows. The nice thing about alpha and beta particles is their radiation can be stopped by just a little protection. The biggest problem from these particles is when you breath them in they will cause cancer. This is where the Decon comes in for washing off the material that gathers on you when you go outside.

When it comes to gamma rays that is the bad stuff. For this you will need mass to protect you. Mass being lead, dirt/concrete or water. For proper mass in the way of dirt 3 ft is a good starting point. Remember if you are in a low point and there is water runoff going buy it could carry some of the fallout to your location. This can easily be prevented by diking (can I say that?) to protect your location.

Now there is neutron radiation but I would not worry about that since for the most part if you are in contact with it you will become toast in a short time.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

ditchmedic
02-01-2014, 03:53 AM
Since I posted this I essentially learned that if im close enough for gamma radiation im screwed anyway and alpha and beta can essentially be avoided by seeling off the house and some properly places storage items over head

Gunfixr
02-01-2014, 02:05 PM
This is one thing I don't feel I need a plan for.

Why, you ask?

Because we live withing 50 miles of several major targets, and less than 1 mile from one of them.

There will be a crater where my house is, after we have been vaporized.

We won't feel a thing.

ak474u
02-02-2014, 03:43 AM
Radiation in the form of fall out will land everywhere it blows. The nice thing about alpha and beta particles is their radiation can be stopped by just a little protection. The biggest problem from these particles is when you breath them in they will cause cancer. This is where the Decon comes in for washing off the material that gathers on you when you go outside.

When it comes to gamma rays that is the bad stuff. For this you will need mass to protect you. Mass being lead, dirt/concrete or water. For proper mass in the way of dirt 3 ft is a good starting point. Remember if you are in a low point and there is water runoff going buy it could carry some of the fallout to your location. This can easily be prevented by diking (can I say that?) to protect your location.

Now there is neutron radiation but I would not worry about that since for the most part if you are in contact with it you will become toast in a short time.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

So... If I decide to do the dike thing, where would you recommend I get one of those chain wallets, and khaki pants?

Possom
02-02-2014, 10:37 AM
So... If I decide to do the dike thing, where would you recommend I get one of those chain wallets, and khaki pants?

Well Pinterest of course can give you a few fashion tips!

http://www.pinterest.com/dreamsunderfoot/style-butch-fashion/

Don't forget your:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/230869275392?lpid=82

And

http://www.zazzle.com/i_dont_do_arts_crafts_tee_shirts-235522526843670352

Illini Warrior
02-03-2014, 03:12 AM
in addition to placing dense items on the floor above your crawlspace ... you should fill the floor joist channels with concrete products ... lag 3/4 inch plywood to the floor joists and then loose stack with concrete patio blocks and/or concrete bricks .... likewise use concrete products to reinforce those concrete block basement walls .... concrete will give you maximum rad protection vs just sandbags ....

2die4
02-03-2014, 05:33 PM
This is one thing I don't feel I need a plan for.

Why, you ask?

Because we live withing 50 miles of several major targets, and less than 1 mile from one of them.

There will be a crater where my house is, after we have been vaporized.

We won't feel a thing.
Agree.
I don't live as close to a major city but feel if we have reach this point, the only thing I'd be doing is delaying the inevitable of a slow agonizing cancer laden death. Prepping with decon kits, gas masks and fallout shelters doesn't seem worth it. If by the off chance the General and I don't get vaporized, we would have to head for the hills and hope we don't get sick.

Grumpy Old Man
02-06-2014, 05:36 AM
Loosen all restrictive clothing! Bend over and stick your head between your legs! Kiss your ass goodbye! Unless you are far enough away to mitigate fallout, you will need a shelter with at least 5 feet of cover to provide adequate protection from gamma radiation, assuming that you are using concrete and soil for protection.Also, distance from the blast has a great influence on the protection needed from radiation. A bigger concern may be the blast and shock waves if you are that close.

There are better places for this kind of info than a forum. Try Safecastle as they specialize in fallout shelters. But, they are spendy.

realist
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Dense material like sand instead of broken concrete would work best.

AS for going fast it will be a real hot fast. The problem is if it doesn't happen right away it will be a miserable painful way to die. That said I just stay away from those location.

The fallout shelter in the past has been the plan however since the beginning of the nuclear age it has had a stigma associated with lunatics. Big expense for what? Well if it happens it was a good plan wasn't it? So rather than call it a bomb shelter it is now just a storm shelter. Either way, properly done it works. I just can afford one.

On a side note there is a renewed interest in a nuclear attack. The reason is Iran and North Korea. If Iran gets the bomb then it is assumed that eventually some other rouge group will get it and use it. If it were to happen in the US it would be most a ground bust event. So stay out of large cities.............