PDA

View Full Version : propane shortage?

greg48
01-23-2014, 11:02 PM
I work part time driving tankers hauling gas and diesel around southern Indiana, the folks I work for sent propane trucks last week to Gulfport, Ms for propane, this week they are sending the trucks to Houston, Tx! There are alot of turkey farms around that are panicked, can't get propane for their barns!

ladyhk13
01-23-2014, 11:11 PM
I heard the same thing the other day. This cold blast has really put a hurting on the supply. We have a 500 gallon propane tank and went through it in one month, that is the first time we have ever used that much. I imagine everyone is using more and putting a strain on the system.

ElevenBravo
01-23-2014, 11:42 PM
I dont like it either, my backup heat (ProCom blue flame heater) is propane!

EB

bacpacker
01-23-2014, 11:57 PM
I just read an article earlier today about bad shortages in the Northeast. Later in the article it brought up the fact there was a record harvest in much of the midwest last year. Most everyone dries their harvest in silo's using propane heat. more grain, more propane used. Add exports on top of that and the industry wasn't ready for a hard winter across much of the country.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Uhh, but we have soooooooooo much here in the US what's the big deal? Who's the hold out?

helomech
01-24-2014, 01:43 AM
We export a lot of it over seas. I see them going out all the time. the ships look like a huge propane tank.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
When I was stationed in Texas back in the late 90's I used to see them as well going in and out of Corpus Christi and running the "safety fairways" when I was out at sea going "close coastal" weaving the oil rigs. The empty rigs made for good training. Those ships "we called them LPG carriers made perfect targets for the "would be" in the channels. So these were topics of discussions and were also part of many Navy scenarios. But I won't get into that so as not to "derail another thread"

Still I see no reason in this country for any sort of energy shortage, we have more than enough resources right here. It's just "some people" refuse to let others have it. We are more than willing to buy it, therefore enhancing economic growth. More tax money for the wankers, etc. Problem solved...........

Possom
01-26-2014, 10:30 PM
I just seen an article in the la times about the propane shortage. Prices in parts of the country have went from 1.29 a gallon to 3.49 a gallon. That is what this shortage is all about. Making money.

ElevenBravo
01-26-2014, 10:47 PM
I got LPG the other day at $3.19/gal at Tractor Supply, I think the cheapest place in town... From a few weeks ago, I dont think the price has gone up a bit.

Its been a LOOOONG time Ive seen it below $3/gal!

If theres a shortage, it hasnt hit the right coast yet...

EB

Possom
01-26-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't use propane but I'm pretty sure it is around 2.50 a gallon here. Here is a link to the article. Interesting read.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79042310/

ditchmedic
01-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Here in the midwest, companies are capping people at 100 gallons. Of course at 150 gallons they waive the delivery fee. People on propane only are struggling in this cold.

ladyhk13
01-28-2014, 04:50 AM
We prepay in the summers for $1.79 but used that up about 2 weeks ago (first time that's ever happened) and had to pay some extra this last fill at $2.29 a gal. I know other companies in our area are more expensive so it does depend on what co you are going to as well.

Possom
01-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Just seen a report on the local news about the shortage hitting here. Places here in Arkansas seeing $4 a gallon already. Glad I don't own chicken houses now. I would guess it will only get worse. Right now it is about 20 degrees and snowing.

mitunnelrat
01-28-2014, 01:39 PM
We're currently at -10 with windchills dropping to -40... I'm not sure how some of my neighbors do it.

Possom
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Goodness -40. You can keep all that. I will stay down here in the south where we have a mild winter (by comparison) and long hot growing season. Coldest we ever get is +5 or so.

mitunnelrat
01-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Lol. This is a bit extreme

ladyhk13
01-28-2014, 08:57 PM
So much for global warming.......

Possom
01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Took this photo earlier today at the cheapest propane dealer in town.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/cox-adam/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseb6b23fd.jpg (http://s816.photobucket.com/user/cox-adam/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseb6b23fd.jpg.html)

realist
02-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Whatever the cost for gas it is about the same for propane out here. I got a big tank last year in order to buy in the end of summer so I can make it through the winter. However it really hurts when you have to shell out $1200 to fill the tank in the spring. As to there being a shortage I don't think so. It would be more of a transportation issue. Then again if it scarce then the price goes up.........

Possom
02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
I was buying feed yesterday and talking to the lady I buy feed from. Her and her hubby have 5 chicken houses (raising pullets). They called the propane company about getting their tanks capped off. They are not out of propane but was going to get some just to be on the safe side. They wanted $20,000 to fill their tanks. Priced them almost $5 a gallon. They couldn't afford it and cancelled the order. The poultry companies are starting to subsidize propane orders for growers. Otherwise no one will take another delivery of birds before spring time.