PDA

View Full Version : New vehicle options

adapt619
01-31-2014, 05:39 AM
I will soon be in the market for a truck. Right now I want a toyota tacoma, but the upcoming chevy colorado caught my eye at the san diego auto show. I rather disliked the first colorado, but chevy is pretty good about coming back strong with their remakes. I love chevy but don't want to be the guinea pig for this truck either. Tacomas are proven trucks so chevy would have to prove it to me first. What do you guys think about the 2015 colorado? And no this discussion isn't asking which brand you like better haha I have to say that because people will answer every question except the one I asked.

Possom
01-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Regardless of brand I do not trust the first gen of any new made vehicle. I prefer to buy a vehicle built on the same body style for a couple of years so they have had time to discover and fix all the glitches.

I think you would get a better truck in the Tacoma. It has been built for several years on the basic same body style.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Well in my "opinion" uh CHEVROLET vintage tin of course.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/198/1025919.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/5i1025919j)

- - - Updated - - -

Something you can work on and get parts for.............cheaper than what you mentioned above.

ElevenBravo
01-31-2014, 12:37 PM
The other side of the coin, are you SURE you want to go into DEBT for this purchase?

I agree, it would be nice to have a new vehicle, but would an older one accomplish the same task?

Going into some debt at some point, is unavoidable for most... but by the decisions we make, we are in control of that debt.

Usually the number one goal of an ant is to get out of debt, so as to no longer be a slave to the system, no longer feed the machine and have money to invest in tangibles that would be needed in an emergency.

The debt doesnt stop at the monthly payment, a new vehicle is likely to have sky high insurance and personal property taxes (I know, not all states)

Example, I need to put a new alternator on my '82 K5 Blazer... that will cost me about $60....

But even if I had to do a mechanical repair every month to keep it on the road (which sometimes it feels like) its still a fraction of the cost of a new vehicle. I pay $59 a month for car insurance for two vehicles, and I just now paid the personal property for our two beaters, at $89.

Every time I start my truck and drive it to work, I feel like Im sticking it to the man!

Im sure you already know all this, but it may make you revisit the principles, and possibly introduce them to someone else.

GL buddy,
EB

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, BWRR, I want to play...

http://elevenbravo.net/assortedimages/HFD13.jpg

The window paint was for fathers day..

EB

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-31-2014, 12:59 PM
So who's sending these post, you or your daughter? Sweet rig brother and YUP! I'm game, I need to stretch the tires on that puppy anyway. I took the dually out yesterday. Fired right up no problem with all the freezing temps down here. I have a trickle charge solar panel on the dash for both and a quick disconnect for the battery under the hood. So there's no drain while they sit idle. Seems to make them happy.

helomech
01-31-2014, 03:27 PM
I am with 11B I am not buying new vehicles any more, except I am planning on buying a ELIO when they come out next summer. 3 wheels 68 mph A/C, heat, and brand new for 6800 bucks. But when my 05 titan needs replaced I am getting a old diesel. No more debt for me, if I can't pay cash I aint getting it.

adapt619
01-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Good points fellas. Well the reason I wanted to go new is mainly because I will be obtaining a chunk of change fairly soon from a recent family member loss. And if there is anything that I've learned while in san diego its that people do NOT take care of their cars (or maybe just the ones I buy haha). With a new car I have a clean slate and have will be somewhat in control if things go wrong with it. So I guess with this in mind, if you could buy new and barely be in debt if at all, would you buy new?

helomech
01-31-2014, 03:51 PM
Good points fellas. Well the reason I wanted to go new is mainly because I will be obtaining a chunk of change fairly soon from a recent family member loss. And if there is anything that I've learned while in san diego its that people do NOT take care of their cars (or maybe just the ones I buy haha). With a new car I have a clean slate and have will be somewhat in control if things go wrong with it. So I guess with this in mind, if you could buy new and barely be in debt if at all, would you buy new?

I would not spend that much on a new vehicle. Like I said I will be buying a new car for going back and forth to work when they come out, but they will be about 7 grand new. I would rather spend 30k on a storm shelter, or solar, or wind power, something like that, that gets me more off grid.

Possom
01-31-2014, 03:57 PM
I would get myself completely out of debt. Or invest in something other then a vehicle. Vehicles lose 1/3 of there value the moment you buy them. I never buy new. If it were me I would invest in land. Land never loses value. Property price varies area to area. Here in Arkansas land can be had from 1k to 2.5k an acre. One of the best things about land is they aren't making any more of it. It will gain in value or at least hold steady guaranteed.

adapt619
01-31-2014, 04:21 PM
I would get myself completely out of debt. Or invest in something other then a vehicle. Vehicles lose 1/3 of there value the moment you buy them. I never buy new. If it were me I would invest in land. Land never loses value. Property price varies area to area. Here in Arkansas land can be had from 1k to 2.5k an acre. One of the best things about land is they aren't making any more of it. It will gain in value or at least hold steady guaranteed.

That is a excellent point on both the value loss of vehicles and the value stability in land. However, the value loss of the vehicle wouldnt mean anything because I wouldn't get rid of it. I feel it happening again haha I'm stalling until someone gives me the answer I want to hear

Metrocruiser
01-31-2014, 06:05 PM
I would buy Toyota over Chevy.
I would pretty much buy a Toyota over any other brand in almost all circumstances.

Vodin
01-31-2014, 06:57 PM
I would suggest going used.

New
1> Higher Insurance Rate
2> Higher Repair/Part Cost
3> Higher License Fee
4> Possible parts not in quantity due to the newness
5> Noticed more since its new (consider crime)
6> Electronics harder to personally fix
7> Accidents happen and insurance companies are there to make money
8> if SHTF and it was EMP is it still useable?

I bought a Toy 4Runner new in 2006. It was a good choice then. And I still have it now. I am screwed if anything comes down the line. Reasons are many, I keep it flawless (appearance functionality) I would become a prime target.

Used
1> The overall cost (besides fuel) is less
2> When ever you need to repair you improve your vehicle.
3> Depending on the type no issues with parts availability.
4> Accident? Not a huge amount lost and you have extra to buy another since you didn't buy new.

Either way it is your choice. Keep in mind the mood of the nation, your needs and what you have to fall back on. A vehicle is only 1 item pay a lot for that 1 item.

Rule 3 is 2, 2 is 1 and if you only have the one?

ElevenBravo
01-31-2014, 07:56 PM
The amount of money that it would take to flat out buy a new vehicle, would be a sizeable chunk towards some land you can camp, fish, hunt & maybe live on...

Land ownership is the only real measure of wealth anymore... At least you own something, even if you do have to pay the yearly gov rent on it...

EB

adapt619
01-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Very good points. Its just not that easy to buy land out here in san diego. Especially land that you can escape to in crisis

Possom
01-31-2014, 08:28 PM
If I were you I would use the money to buy land anywhere but in California and move to that land. California is a bane on the rest of the USA.

adapt619
01-31-2014, 08:40 PM
If I were you I would use the money to buy land anywhere but in California and move to that land. California is a bane on the rest of the USA.

Please elaborate

Possom
01-31-2014, 08:44 PM
Just a few points. There are more then what's listed for sure.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/55-reasons-why-california-is-the-worst-state-in-america

Possom
01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
I prefer to live in a place where I can make my own decisions without having to ask for government permission. I prefer living in a state where 40% of my income doesn't end up in the state government coffers.

If I had to pick a state in the union to live in it would be Texas or Arkansas or Oklahoma. Much less interference in your life. Cost of living is considerably lower.

adapt619
01-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Can't argue with any of that. I have family in texas who live like kings making the same amount of money that I do. Thinking about moving to texas. Just so I have a bettet understanding, what kind of things do californiacalifornians need to ask permission from the government for?

Possom
01-31-2014, 11:00 PM
http://o.dailycaller.com/all/2014-01-02-california-new-anti-gun-laws-take-effect-january-1

This

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/smog-check.php

And this

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/consumers/hireacontractor/buildingpermitrequirements.asp

And this for starters.

I'm sorry I derailed your thread. Wasn't my intention. I feel for those stuck in California. They are steadily losing their freedoms.

I prefer to live in a place where I still have the freedom to do as I please in most cases.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Very good points. Its just not that easy to buy land out here in san diego. Especially land that you can escape to in crisis

Well, you certainly live in a ah, how can I put it? There ain't shit for ya there, unless you happened to be stationed there. GOD is not making anymore land, ah here that is. So it would behoove you to find you something within range, plan your egress route. Uuuuh but we're talking vehicles right? Better find one that can make it in the SHTF scenario eh? So weigh out the possibilities verses what you can afford. Where you live ain't cheap, I still have a few wayward sons out there and get some intell now and then (it ain't never been good but it's intell) If I'm not helping just tell me to shut up and I'll armchair this one out.

adapt619
02-01-2014, 03:37 AM
Well, you certainly live in a ah, how can I put it? There ain't shit for ya there, unless you happened to be stationed there. GOD is not making anymore land, ah here that is. So it would behoove you to find you something within range, plan your egress route. Uuuuh but we're talking vehicles right? Better find one that can make it in the SHTF scenario eh? So weigh out the possibilities verses what you can afford. Where you live ain't cheap, I still have a few wayward sons out there and get some intell now and then (it ain't never been good but it's intell) If I'm not helping just tell me to shut up and I'll armchair this one out.

I can afford to live out here, and with the money I have coming my way I can get a new car and be in very minimal debt, which isn't rare in california haha. But I would much rather live comfortably somewhere else. I just don't know how I'm gonna escape

helomech
02-01-2014, 03:58 AM
I can afford to live out here, and with the money I have coming my way I can get a new car and be in very minimal debt, which isn't rare in california haha. But I would much rather live comfortably somewhere else. I just don't know how I'm gonna escape

If you don't mind me asking what do you do for a living? Reason I ask, is that I am a helicopter mechanic, I work 7 days on and then I have 7 days off. My work provides me with an apartment to live in for free when I am at work. This allows me to live any where I want and just commute to work twice a month. I live in a area with very little decent jobs, but I own 64 acres of land there. Being away from home sucks, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. I also get 24 days a year vacation, so when I take 7 vacation days I actually get 21 days in a row off. So I work just over 150 days a year.

adapt619
02-01-2014, 04:16 AM
I work construction. I fabricate custom trusses for homes. I work 50-60 hours a week to live in a 1300sq ft home and currently drive a 99 honda civic (first car). Its good money but I bust my ass harder than I would like. If I don't work, I don't get paid. No vacation or sick days.

helomech
02-01-2014, 04:28 AM
I work construction. I fabricate custom trusses for homes. I work 50-60 hours a week to live in a 1300sq ft home and currently drive a 99 honda civic (first car). Its good money but I bust my ass harder than I would like. If I don't work, I don't get paid. No vacation or sick days.

Jobs like yours are available everywhere, at least near decent sized cities. You have lots of options with your job field. Heck I am driving a 96 Saturn SL2 to work. I do have a 4X4 titan, but don't drive it much due to cost of fuel.

adapt619
02-01-2014, 04:40 AM
Yea I know. There's just a lot of things keeping me tied here right now but I do know that I definitely need to get out of here. I'm thinking texas coast. I do too much ocean fishing to leave the coast

helomech
02-01-2014, 04:47 AM
Texas has lots of jobs along the coast. I work out of Brazoria county which is about a hour west of Galveston. It is a 3 hour drive for me to get to work. My work apartment is in Lake Jakeson, which is only about 5 miles from the airport.

adapt619
02-01-2014, 05:20 AM
Texas has lots of jobs along the coast. I work out of Brazoria county which is about a hour west of Galveston. It is a 3 hour drive for me to get to work. My work apartment is in Lake Jakeson, which is only about 5 miles from the airport.

Thanks man good to know. As soon as I can close up shop here with everything I'm tied into I'm gonna be on my way out. Love san diego, hate california

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-01-2014, 12:17 PM
I have a High school buddy that I used to surf with that had been out of work for a couple of years. Lived in the Orlando, FL area behind on everything and I guess you could say just refused to make the leap. He'd been there his whole life. Has a friend in the "oil business" who'd been offered him a job for a while. with a lot of pushing, he finally took it. He's happier than a pig in shit, making excellent money, and his dog "pork chop" well I guess he's about ready for buttery fly'n and stuffin. So I guess Texas is still a good place to be. I'm just passing along a success story.

Course it helps when you know the Boss.............

Kodiak
02-02-2014, 12:12 PM
A good friend of mine is the manager at a large car dealership in town, he suggests to friends to never buy new. If you want to buy something newer, buy a car/truck a year or two old. It will save you thousands for basically the same vehicle.