PDA

View Full Version : Emergency cleats/spiked tyre method?

Marthony
01-31-2014, 04:16 PM
'Mornin!

The other week I watched an episode of 'Ultimate Survival Alaska' where one of the characters put screws into the high points of his footwear to effect ice cleats. I'm guessing they were 1/4~3/8" long and would think you'd want 6 per foot. I plan to buy some screws like this and seal them into clear plastic bags/packets to have in my EDC, vehicle & evacuation bag. While I do have good cleats they tend to be at home; packs of screws like this could be a compact backup.

Now on to the theoretical part: My vehicle is 4wd with snow tires. Its quite rare that I've traction issues but the events in Atlanta force me to admit that on a sheet of ice I still wouldn't have proper traction.

Presuming that one's tyre treads have enough rubber to prevent 1/4~3/8" screws from doing damage, do you think that putting a couple dozen in each tyre would provide passable traction if you felt it was important to drive in such conditions? (I suppose washers may be a decent idea to protect the tyres from the screws being pushed in?)

Or am I just risking puncturing my tyres?

Possom
01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
I would say you are asking to puncture your tires. You would be much better off with a set of snow chains in your vehicle. They don't take up that much space. Easy on and off.

Marthony
01-31-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks Possum. Yeah, I'd think soft winter tyres in particular may swallow screws...

Could make for an interesting story when the CAA truck came to load me onto their flatbed truck though, provided you can laugh at yourself. =)

Sniper-T
01-31-2014, 09:32 PM
you can buy studs for your tires, although they are a little tough to get in, it can be done with a screwdriver and a set of linesmans.

In a pinch, I have used tek screws in the past, just drill them in. but like with chains, drive slow and easy. sudden sharp turns or spinning of the tires will shoot them out like bullets.
I've never had one puncture a tire.

eta:
for your footware, grab a couple pairs of these things:
http://www.amazon.ca/Spikes-Crampons-Cleats-Fishing-Climbing/dp/B00FVJJ4UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391209672&sr=8-1&keywords=ice+cleats+for+shoes

truly outstanding pc of cold weather gear!

Stormfeather
02-03-2014, 06:25 PM
eta:
for your footware, grab a couple pairs of these things:
http://www.amazon.ca/Spikes-Crampons-Cleats-Fishing-Climbing/dp/B00FVJJ4UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391209672&sr=8-1&keywords=ice+cleats+for+shoes

truly outstanding pc of cold weather gear!

We have these at work and they work great! Ive got sets in all my vehicles just for wintertime!

ak474u
02-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I agree with the chains. If you have a smaller car or SUv, they make light duty chain sets that are easy to install and aren't ridiculously uncomfortable to drive on.

ElevenBravo
02-03-2014, 07:54 PM
A similar/same question was presented on another forum, so Ill echo the response here....

http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction-product-choices/z-chain/

These "chains" are about as good as good can get! Pretty pricey and NOT sold at WalMart... But, Ive got a pair that are on there 10th year of service, and are holding strong!

The design might at first glance look like a gimmic, but I assure you... there is wisdom in the design... Traction is much better than with cross hatch cables, and the ride is superior. I can usually get up to 35 mph if necessary, but dont typically go "that fast".

"Fairly" easy on and off... as far as cables go... much easier than traditional chains, that's for sure!

I keep mine in a plastic box, out of season I toss the box in the shed.. I put the box in the back of the War Wagon in October, I need to toss in a small snow shovel, maybe some salt... but if its so bad that a lifted K5 Blazer with chains on ALL FOUR WHEELS cant get about, I deserve to be stock (which has never happened! But, a lot of that is driver skill & experience too...)

HTH,
EB

Sniper-T
02-06-2014, 07:03 PM
... but if its so bad that a lifted K5 Blazer with chains on ALL FOUR WHEELS cant get about, I deserve to be stock (which has never happened! But, a lot of that is driver skill & experience too...)

HTH,
EB

Meh! you're not trying hard enough! lol.

Grimm
02-23-2014, 01:59 PM
If you've ever seen the tires that the guys who race motorcycles on frozen lakes in the winter use....If you didn't have chains available to you and had decent tires to put the screws in,it would probably help. I wouldn't want to try it without decent rubber depth,and if your tread wasn't fairly aggressive to start it with it might not make enough of a difference to justify the time and effort.
http://www.gripstuds.com/Motorcycle_Ice_Racing.php