PDA

View Full Version : Big thanks to River Rat

izzyscout21
02-07-2014, 03:46 AM
Seriously, awesome job.

So, I got my HAM ticket awhile back, but haven't ever really done a whole lit with it.......

Until today.

Last weekend, BWRR gave me 2 antennas that he had made for me. 1 is semi- stationary, the other is a "throw-n-go" type J-pole.

(As I'm still new to the radio world, Rat can chime in here and explain the designs)

Anyways, I finally had the chance to set up the big antenna today.

Let me just say this:

This is really cool. Just off of this homemade antenna, using my little handheld, was able to hit a repeater and talk to another HAM that was 2 1/2 hours away. The guy on the other line said that I was crystal clear.

Still have yet to test my "throw and go", but if today's test is a sign, field expedient coms in a SHTF scenario just got a lot easier.

Awesome job, Rat.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Guess what I'm going to have to do here is post a new thread in the comms section. I now have three designs for your HT's (hand held radios).
1. A "throw and go" designed for a BOB or ruck which ever.
2. A Mini base station vertical pole for outdoor water tight permanent (if you want)
3. A integrated back pack design to weave into your molle.

To be continued...........have to finish a gun for a man.

izzyscout21
02-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Seriously, you should sell those puppies.

They work great.
SAved a lot of headache from me building them....ya know, since I've got no clue what I'm doing. I'm more of a plug and play end user type of dude.

LUNCHBOX
02-08-2014, 01:20 AM
That molle weave sounds like a cool idea.

izzyscout21
02-08-2014, 02:37 AM
The molle TVAS type antenna is uber sweet

Gunfixr
02-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Guess I'll have to throw something off the list, so I can work on getting a HAM ticket. Seems like it'll be the way to go.

ladyhk13
02-09-2014, 07:21 PM
I have to say that I haven't seen BWRR much these days as he's been working on prototypes for these antennas. I am amazed at what he has done especially with the Molly gear one. It is very impressive indeed. He's worked really hard to improve on anything that's available on the market (there actually isn't anything comparable to the Molly) so that we have the best comms when shtf.
I have to say I am so impresses and really proud of him. Wow, who would have thunk I married someone so smart?

bacpacker
02-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Way to go BWRR!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Wow is right. I don't know many guys that have a wife that publicly brags about them. Thanks baby!

OK, the "Molle Rig" is still in the R&D phase. The positives are that i have worked a repeater 30 miles away (transmit and receive) also intermittently another repeater 57 miles north. That one is really pushing it. The antenna is more directional at long distances, meaning I have to be turned in the right direction to obtain the best signal. But het 30 miles on a handheld 5 watt radio. Not to shabby.

The "Throw and go" is a omnidirectional vertical type antenna. Just like it sounds throw the bitter end of that 50ft piece of 550 cord you got in your BOB. Tie one end off to the antenna, haul it up as far as the jumper and pig tail will allow. Start transmitting! This one has been consistent on both repeaters 30 and 57 miles away. It's small enough to fit in a Zip-lok sandwich bag.

Remember UHV/VHF is "line of sight" also depends on weather and atmospheric conditions for optimum performance.

I will post some pictures here soon I just don't want to jump the gun. Once I'm satisfied and tested enough times I'll throw them up there for all to see. I'm just anal about this stuff and I want this shit to work, so I buy quality jumpers and pig tails and make my own antennas. So far so good. Keep ya posted...............

bacpacker
02-09-2014, 11:31 PM
Antennas are the heart of any radio system. Time put into the quality and design pays big dividends in the long run. Glad to hear the designs are proving effective.

ladyhk13
02-09-2014, 11:42 PM
He's putting the time in for sure. He's been like a little kid especially when the guys out there that answer him back on the radio and sy "you're talking on a what??? No shit???" He gets the biggest grin ever but now it's the only thing he talks about. Well that and the new load he's working on.
Busy guy....do a good job, do a good job. Luv ya honey.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Yeah, ok so I did some loads today. I've been stumbling on "perfecting" a load for the M1A that i built with a few modifications. Izzy came down with a load that worked quite well (39.0gr IMR3031 so I needed to adapt it to a military case.........you have to knock it down about a grain and half for a .308. Anyway.......this is what I came up with. 37.4/37.5/37.6/37.7..............168 gr SMK on top of 37.6gr of IMR3031 2009 Lake City case with Federal 210 primer COAL 2.80" the 5 shot group results at 100yds were purdy good.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/713/wxk8.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/jtwxk8j)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-10-2014, 02:51 AM
Now just a tid bit of information for you guys. This is not a bolt gun with a 2lb. trigger. We're talking about a semi automatic rifle with a 4.5lb trigger. Some other things about my rifle It was known as a "golden age" M1A. Meaning it was one of the last ones built with GI parts. The barrel is a TRW, so I didn't change that, no match stuff there, the bolt is TRW as well. I did change the op rod, Fulton Armory Match, complete gas system and shimmed that. Did a trigger job and brought that down to 4.5lbs. Now it's nice and smooth, and breaks clean and crisp. (for 4.5lbs) Installed a Sadlak scope mount, op rod spring guide and mag release. Topped it off with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. then swapped the stock with the ArchAngel Good solid stock, I like it, it's inexpensive compared to the overpriced anal retentive other shit, and super tight fitting to the receiver. Adjustable stock length and cheek riser good positive locking adjustments too, not cheeply made. "I" really like it and recommend it for anyone in the market for a good stock not wanting to break the bank. Shop for prices, do your own research and reviews............OK now you know and I've ran my mouth long enough. I probably left out a few other mods not giving away all my secrets but it shoots pretty damn nice with that particular load. Guess it's time to make a few more BB's and stretch it out on the range, eh? Like I said this ones not mine (picture)but I grabbed it off the net to show you what the stock looks like.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/40/11t2.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/1411t2j)

Stormfeather
02-16-2014, 06:49 PM
I thought that was a J.A.E. stock there for a second until I read your description, Thats the one Im looking at picking up for my m1A build as soon as time permits.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-16-2014, 10:58 PM
I thought that was a J.A.E. stock there for a second until I read your description, Thats the one Im looking at picking up for my m1A build as soon as time permits.
Give Izzy a holler he's wrapped his grubby "Army" fingers around it. He can tell you first hand other than me if it's worth a shit. At least you'll get another opinion.

Stormfeather
02-18-2014, 04:14 AM
Give Izzy a holler he's wrapped his grubby "Army" fingers around it. He can tell you first hand other than me if it's worth a shit. At least you'll get another opinion.

Not sure I would trust his opinion. . .knowing where his grubby dick mitts has been! :)

Yea, I will hit him up, been wanting some other options versus the damn chassis system thats going to cost my son his college fund!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Well I can't tell you about reducing group size after changing the stock. But I can tell you that it is an extremely tight fit. Well made and it doesn't cost as much as a Barrett. I have spent more time developing the right load for this rifle than I have putting a factory load through it. Lake City Match shot a 3" group at 100 yds. (not impressed) Just finished reading an article in the latest Shooting Times where they test Springfield M-21 and the best group they had was 1.08" using Black hills 175gr. So I'm not feeling too bad about the rifle I've built.