PDA

View Full Version : Small engines and biodiesel

mitunnelrat
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Working on my motorcycle yesterday and this morning got me considering a lot of things, like how awesome a biodiesel ATV would be, considering many areas of my state allow ATV riding on all roadways now(excepting state highways and interstates.)

Lo and behold, they already exist:
ATV goes "green" | content from Farm Industry News (http://farmindustrynews.com/atv-goes-green)

Arctic Cat introduces a diesel ATV that will run on biodiesel. The ATV is powered with a fuel-efficient, 700cc, twin-cylinder diesel engine that runs on six forms of diesel (DFD 1, DF 2, DF A Arctic, JP 5, JP 8 and up to B20 biodiesel). This "green" ATV runs efficiently by providing 50% greater fuel mileage than a similarly powered, conventional ATV.

"Our diesel-fueled ATV is perfect for the farming and agriculture industry," says Ole Tweet, general manager, ATV division. "We're really trying to reduce the impact of our ATVs on the environment, and we love the idea of making an ATV that can run on renewable fuel grown by farmers, some of our best customers."

The ATV was tested on biodiesel in cooperation with the Agricultural Utilization Research Institute and the Minnesota Soybean Growers.

In short, I want one! 50% better efficiency alone would be awesome. Couple that with running biodiesel suggests you can run a long time, conserve a resource, and save a ton of money while doing so! Cool!

bacpacker
07-08-2011, 09:18 PM
I wasn't aware those were available. That would be awesome if you had your own bio production plant. Definatly worth looking into.

mitunnelrat
07-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Agreed, though I will probably get one before I can produce fuel for it myself. Especially if I see a UTV set up like that. Future plans though, future plans...

bacpacker
07-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Gotta Have em! Future plans that is.

RedJohn
07-10-2011, 10:44 AM
This is a very nice option. Definitely a look into thing.

mercury
09-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Don't know if its still available, but BCS used to offer a small diesel engine for their tillers.

Any other small-engine powered things offered in diesel (mower, chainsaw, etc)???

The Stig
09-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Don't know if its still available, but BCS used to offer a small diesel engine for their tillers.

Any other small-engine powered things offered in diesel (mower, chainsaw, etc)???

Not sure about tools but there are a number of diesel powered small generators available on the market.