PDA

View Full Version : Moved...finally.

LUNCHBOX
02-10-2014, 02:26 AM
First night in the new (new to me) home. Its cold inside still but l intend to make it work. Baseboard heat only at this point, feels like a training exercise....lol.

helomech
02-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Cool, congrats. When we moved into this house it had no heat. We had space heaters in each room.

LUNCHBOX
02-10-2014, 02:39 AM
Thanks Helo, its been empty for a while. I plan to pick up a heater or two. Trying to decide on what type until l get the woodstove.

mitunnelrat
02-10-2014, 02:49 AM
I think the Mr. Heater Big Buddy is safe for indoor use, and it runs off 1-100# propane bottles. That or a kerosene heater may be a good choice for heat that's portable, independent of electricity, and with less of a storage footprint than firewood has.

ETA: so it may be a good choice as a tertiary system even after you have the wood stove in. I should probably look at it for myself for a supplement during power outages

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-10-2014, 03:03 AM
I guess congrats are in order? Yeah I looked into the Mr. Heater Big Buddy they're fine indoors until you hook a 20lb bottle to it, then you have to go outside. But hey I'm happy for ya! Sorry to hear about the chilly weather.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-10-2014, 03:47 AM
Yeah actually I think it was you MTR that mentioned the Mr. Heater before and I did a bunch of research on them and found that out. I'm thinking on getting the Big Buddy (I think that's what it was called) But they turn out to be an item that I would spend the money on pretty damn efficient. Thanks for the intell.

ElevenBravo
02-10-2014, 04:24 AM
I have one of these, just got it this winter... This replaces my Portable Buddy as my emergency heat.

The ProCom has a THERMOSTAT so it regulates desired heat, where the Portable Buddy does NOT.

The ProCom IMHO is also a cleaner burning unit with no smell.

Ive been through THREE Portable Buddy heaters in the last 4 years, something inside goes bad and it wont run on low heat without a lot of flame flutter...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395466_200395466

A 20lb BBQ tank last me about a week running about 12 hours a day as a supplemental heat source, to knock the chill off, etc.. We already had several daze that were below 20.f

HTH,
EB

mitunnelrat
02-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah actually I think it was you MTR that mentioned the Mr. Heater before and I did a bunch of research on them and found that out. I'm thinking on getting the Big Buddy (I think that's what it was called) But they turn out to be an item that I would spend the money on pretty damn efficient. Thanks for the intell.

Well then, you're welcome, even though I don't remember where I brought them up before.

Do the fittings have the potential to leak enough to make a 20# tank dangerous, or is it the size of the tank itself that's considered a problem?

bacpacker
02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Congrats on the house LB.

ElevenBravo
02-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Ive got the part numbers of the parts I got at Lowes and Northern for hooking up the ProCom heater to a portable LPG tank (20 to 100lb).

All the bags & boxes are down stairs, let me know if you want them and Ill post them up...

EB

Kodiak
02-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Congrats LB, i was waiting on pins and needles for a phone call to help you move the big stuff :)

LUNCHBOX
02-20-2014, 02:05 AM
^^^^
Text=no reply.
Call=no answer.
Drive by=lights flip off.

Just kidding. I moved all but 6 items in my Civic hatchback. It was like trying to bug-out every time l loaded it. I got to park in the garage for the first time (its the little things sometimes)

ARguy
02-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Who are you?

LUNCHBOX
02-22-2014, 03:10 AM
^^^^Nice to see you could join us ARguy...lol