PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Survival Kits (PSK's)

mitunnelrat
02-26-2011, 06:10 AM
After doing the AAR on my winter exercise, I realized there was a piece of kit I totally forgot about. My PSK. Mostly because I rarely use it for anything short of a real emergency , or as an icebreaker in discussing preps. I'd say I never use its contents, but I depleted a good bit of it helping ease a cross country road trip.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/005-2.jpg

My tin is highly modified with the lid serving double duty as a miniature frying pan, and the fairly common pot on the lower. I used a wire coat hanger for the handles and a retaining pin. Its also packed quite full after I read John D. McCann's book, "Build the Perfect Survival Kit".
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/003-2.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/002-2.jpg

My contents, following his format for gear selection:
Fire and Light
-Lifeboat Matches, 4 ea.; Maglite Solitaire
Signaling
-a small survival mirror rescued from a junk survival knife. I stuck the abrasive striker for the matches to this.
Navigation
-Button compass from same junk knife.
Food & Water Collection
-Tin, as described above; non-lubed condom; Micropur tablets, 2 ea.; Chicken Bouillon packet
Shelter & Personal Protection
-None, due to size limitations.
Medical
-Alcohol prep pad; butterfly closures, 2 ea.
Knives & Tools
-Scalpel blades, 2 ea. (I grooved the retention pin for my "frying pan" handle to accept the blades); a SwissCard Lite screwdriver tool since I modded the card to hang with and behind my work ID, and chose not to cut a groove into this piece; P-38 can opener
Multi-Purpose Items
-Magnetized sewing needle (sewing/ Navigation); 8# test "no memory" fish line, 10 ft. (sewing, fishing, light cordage); Gutted 550 cord, 3 ft.; 100 mph tape, 3 ft.; Tinfoil, 1 sq. ft. (drinking, cooking, signaling, etc.); .22lr cartridges, 5 ea. (ammunition, fire, split shot... you can even groove the jacketed bullets)
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/007-1.jpg
Miscellaneous
-Pencil Stub; Paper; Safety Pin

This kit is currently only 99% done though. I still have to dig my fishing kit out of storage and add: 3 hooks and 6 small split shot. Once I've done that I'll be content with it. I would like to get rid of the "frying pan" portion, but it brings such great discussion on creative thinking and solutions to survive that I can't bring myself to do it. I like to provoke thought at times.

LUNCHBOX
02-26-2011, 06:49 AM
A snare wire might not be a bad item to add....I have that and a couple triple antibiotic cream packs. (my tin is a empty watch tin, about twice as big as the Altoid tin) I will get a photo up soon. Also, I place cotton balls in where there is room to cut down on rattle.

mitunnelrat
02-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Hmm, I put it together with what I had in front of me at the time, and gave it little thought since, but a PJ cottonball and some snare wire, and antibiotic ointment would be great additions. As is, the tin is almost over packed, but in consideration I could create space for them by removing the pencil stub/ paper, and the bouillon packet. Thanks LUNCHBOX!

I also just realized I deleted the wrong pic to add the one of my improv'ed knife. My bad. I'll edit to reflect the kit unpacked so people can get a better idea of just how much is in there.

mitunnelrat
02-28-2011, 03:27 AM
As an update, I managed to shove a PJ Cottonball and a packet of antibiotic ointment in it without removing anything. I think I might be able to get some snare wire in there too. That'll be cool if so.

mitunnelrat
03-05-2011, 04:58 AM
Final update. This kit is 100% complete. I was able to add the PJ cottonball and ointment as I stated above, my 3 fishhooks, 6 small split shot, and 5' of black 20 ga. wire without removing any of the original contents. It might burst if I try for anything more though!

The Stig
03-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Are there other uses for the condom besides the obvious intended use?

mitunnelrat
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
There's a couple that I know of, but I haven't tried either of them. The first is as an emergency canteen. The second is to use the (full) condom to start a fire:
The Condom Survival Fire | Field & Stream (http://www.fieldandstream.com/videos/fieldandstream/hunting/2009/08/start-fire-condom-and-water)

It apparently takes a long, long time to get a fire going that way, but I'd definitely try it if I was out of other options.

bacpacker
03-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Very nice idea's on the altoids kit. I have a bunch of tins I've saved, but haven't gotten around to setting on up. Need to get that done.

Stg1swret
04-30-2011, 01:43 AM
I make seperate kits , each one specialized - First Aid, Fire starting, Fishing/Trapping, Emergency comm, etc. They take up little space and organize small items very well.

The Stig
04-30-2011, 02:18 AM
I make seperate kits , each one specialized - First Aid, Fire starting, Fishing/Trapping, Emergency comm, etc. They take up little space and organize small items very well.

How do you separate the kits? Different pouches? Ziploc bags?

I'm a fan of having smaller kits also.

Stg1swret
04-30-2011, 02:47 AM
First I label each one as to use , a little tape is all you really need for that. Usually placed in different pouches, pockets. In my 3 day bag I have one of each, they are wrapped in a self adhesive Ace bandage and placed inside a large zip lock bag. I like to travel light.

alaska
04-30-2011, 02:55 AM
great, something else i have to go make now....................... great thread thanx for sharing and the ideas

alaska
04-30-2011, 09:41 PM
i saw something interesting yesterday on tv (a shocker i know lol) anyways, dude used lip balm and a couple of fibers of wool for a make shift fire starter. The lip balm is petroleum based just like vaseline.

Might be a way to save some space by using one product for 2 uses.
Did that make sense?

mitunnelrat
04-30-2011, 10:46 PM
It makes total sense. I've got a little snivel kit attached to my GHB that contains a tube of chapstick and a travel pack of kleenex. I used them last winter to start a fire.

alaska
04-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Right on TR

bacpacker
05-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Alaska, Dual survival huh? I saw it to, pretty interesting technique. I've used vasaline and cotton balls for years, never gave a thought to lip balm. It sure worked on the show and they were in severe conditions (deep snow, single digits, windy, in Wyoming.) decent episode for sure.

alaska
05-01-2011, 01:52 AM
Alaska, Dual survival huh? I saw it to, pretty interesting technique. I've used vasaline and cotton balls for years, never gave a thought to lip balm. It sure worked on the show and they were in severe conditions (deep snow, single digits, windy, in Wyoming.) decent episode for sure.

Yup exactly

mitunnelrat
10-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Well, My pocket/ personal survival kit got an update. I somehow managed to run the tin through the washing machine last year, and just now got around to redoing it. Things have changed big time. I'm going to a more layered EDC set up, and my contained psk now resides in my wallet, with supplemental redundant items in my pants pockets and on my belt. I don't forget my wallet at home like I would the tin, and I sure as hell won't miss it when loading the washing machine. Pics to come. For now, the contents:

Wallet, Right rear pocket
Fire and Light - 5 wind/ water resistant matches (striker in coin protector to keep it gritty and away from matches), one PJ cotton ball; Swiss Card Lite* (red lens)
Signaling - Flat whistle with reflective tape backing
Navigation - magnetized sewing needle*
Water & Food Collection - non-lubed condom, 4 ea. micropur tabs; fish hook, line*, snap swivel, a P-38, and a fish spear/ bottle opener
Medical - 3 band aids, triple antibiotic ointment
Knives & Tools - Swiss Card Lite
Multi-purpose items - anything marked elsewhere with a " * ", aluminum foil, 100 mph tape, 550 cord wallet lanyard
Sanitation & Hygiene - toilet seat cover

"Loose"
These next 4 items attach to my wallet lanyard and sit in my right front pocket-
Mini Bic wrapped in 100 mph tape with a paracord loop, Streamlight Keymate, P-38, and Leatherman Micra
Zippo loose in pocket

Left Front Pocket (" * " items pending purchase)-
Surefire E2D*(non-essential, but I miss this light badly), two 123 batteries, two L1554 batteries for keymate*, pepper spray

Left Rear- Bandanna

Left Cargo Pocket- Mylar Blanket, Emergency Poncho; Blow Out Kit

Right Cargo Pocket- Hand Sanitizer*(ran out), wet wipes

Belt Mounted- Holstered Pistol, additional pistol mag, small fixed blade knife, and my Blackberry. I have a small pouch from a CPR kit that may get added and contain a headlamp/ spare batteries for it as well.

I don't like carrying a bunch of crap I don't use regularly, so I'm happy most of that is contained to my wallet, where it doesn't take up any additional space in my pockets. that's also why my 550 cord is woven into a lanyard and bracelets (one as a watch band). I'll redo the watch band with a whistle buckle later this week and have more accessible signaling capability out of the way too, on something I always wear. I may add another mylar blanket so I can have a ground sheet, overhead cover and a blanket all on me for expedient shelter. Its not ideal, but its (relatively) light and will always be on me.

Another non-essential item I may add (thought not for EDC) is a .22 pistol conversion/ ammo as a cargo pocket kit. I've been wanting one for training purposes anyway.

Damn. I need to quit...

izzyscout21
10-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.........

mitunnelrat
10-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Ok then.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG00622-20121003-1750.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG00623-20121003-1750.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG00624-20121003-1752.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG00625-20121003-1838.jpg

The last pic is a magnetized sewing needle. I decided to go ahead and do 3 altogether. They're too small not to, especially if I'm down to needing it as a compass. They lose magnetization over time too, so backups are a good idea.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8502966_magnetize-steel-needle.html