PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Rant

TroubleShooter
02-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Last month my son a new driver hit a patch of black ice, he was air cared to MiamiValley and my daughter was transported to local hosiptal....Insurance medical coverage was denied by auto insurance due to resident relative clause. Depending on state you live and the insurance you buy ...Relatives living under same roof are not covered in an accident by auto insurance...brother/sister in my case. Just a FYI , dont get blindsided like I did...
Both are fine and have been cleared back for work, school and sports....

Kodiak
02-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your kids, glad they are ok.

Katrina
02-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Never heard of that before, will have to talk to insurance man about that.Glad everyone is OK.

TroubleShooter
02-22-2014, 08:49 PM
The little clause "resident relative" , it is crooked and no lawyer will even attempt to fight it.

Not all policies contain this clause, just the cut rate ones like Geico, safe auto and the general and a few others ...

Even though my daughter is home from school, has own auto insurance (StateFarm) on her vehicle..They are denying medical payments based on that exclusion...

Knowledge is power............The learning curve is what sucks.....

Check your policies and adjust...

Geico is misrepresenting their insurance policy claiming
it to fulfill the Ohio FR law , prior to purchasing the policy you have no way
of knowing the exclusion is in the language of policy until you a receive a copy.
They and many other insurance companies who have this exclusion in place are
misleading consumers and causing undue hardship on them once they run across
the policy's exclusion. Ohio law maintains all owners and operators must have
a min. auto insurance coverage for liabilities from an accident they cause,
they do not pick and choose relative or non relative in the Ohio Revised
Code.

"Proof of financial responsibility" means proof of ability to respond in
damages for liability, on account of accidents occurring subsequent to the
effective date of such proof, arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or
use of a motor vehicle in the amount of twenty-five thousand dollars because
of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident, in the amount
of fifty thousand dollars because of bodily injury to or death of two or more
persons in any one accident, and in the amount of twenty-five thousand dollars
because of injury to property of others in any one accident.

I believe their exclusion and the issuing the proof of insurance stating their
insurance conforms to Ohio FR laws are misleading, fraudulent and can cause undue
hardship.

LUNCHBOX
02-28-2014, 12:51 AM
After talking to you l checked mine and I'm ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Let me know how your other situation works out...or if you need a hand.

Gunfixr
03-08-2014, 03:53 AM
Glad to hear the kids are OK.

We're GTG, already tested that one. We have a pretty good policy, and a pretty good agent, who, so far seems to be looking out for us.

Stormfeather
03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Checking my insurance as we speak, never knew about this, thanks for the heads up!

TroubleShooter
05-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Well this year has been fun...........

Some more insurance info, in Ohio go raise your medpay/PIP to as high as you can afford and raise your uninsured or underinsurance up....These insurance companies play too much hardball. Last week I was hit headon by semitruck, which lost control after swerving to avoid a redlight runner....Me and wife will be having physical therapy for back injuries for a while and of course my left arm and ligaments will take a while to heal...

This incident will pretty well force closure of my small business, is going to tap most my resources and stall my re-hab of property. What should have have been a cut and dry claim has now turned into a drawn out legal battle over "Fault" ......

Laying on my back in the middle of the road, pretty much brought to light how unprepared my children are in the event of our passing.....

I am considering applying for all benefits I can receive to slow down the erosion of bank account, which will go fast without anything incoming.....

Gotta love this world........

mitunnelrat
05-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Holy shit man! First I'm glad it wasn't worse for you. Second, keep up the fight with the insurance. I'm betting that trucks carrier knows they have to pay out and is trying to reduce costs. Tell them to jam their first offer up their ass, and insist on future medical expenses if you can.

bacpacker
05-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear this TS. Only thing I can say is to get a lawyer yesterday. One you feel you can trust. We went thru this twice when the wife had bad wre, ks. No way you will be done right by insurance without it. We thought we had came out ok but 23 years later problems from the injuries are showing back up and more surgery is in the future. Hold out for as much as you can. I will be praying for you guys.

ElevenBravo
05-31-2014, 02:47 PM
Damn, sounds like TS is getting the old "salt in the wound" treatment!

EB

TroubleShooter
06-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I lawyered up the same day, everything moves so slow. Except for the bills, I already shut shop down. I said it happened last week. It was actually two weeks ago, time moves fast also. I got two walls built, new toilet installed and working at the property yesterday....Doc is going to mad, done been chewed on for using chainsaw at last visit. I told him I was just hurt, not dead...Of course he goes on to explain how the impact twisted this and that............Oh, BTW my head is not on straight, it is tilted 5 degrees to the right.....LOL

It is a mom/pop operation, they have all the necessary insurance not a big company...They are all trying to place blame on phantom vehicle which caused accident and want my un-insured coverage to pick up the tab. The truck driver was not cited, which I can understand he is not criminally at fault , but on the civil aspect he liable for any damages caused while driving.........