PDA

View Full Version : Freedom fries?

ak474u
03-03-2014, 10:32 PM
So, we're growing a bunch of taters this year, and hopefully we'll have a successful crop. We've been buying frozen fries for years, and it always seems hard to duplicate the texture of frozen fries even with fresh ones. I'd like to spend some time cutting, and packing fries to freeze for quick dinners requiring very little more than dropping in the fryer while cooking other stuff. Does anyone know why frozen fries don't come out soggy in the center like home made fries? I suspect that the manufacturers, besides their ability to flash freeze them during production, may also be flash frying them before packing.

Anybody know how to freeze fries and get good results when cooking later?

Fidel MD
03-03-2014, 10:43 PM
The potatoes are allowed to age a bit (converting the starches into sugar, which gets crispy) and then they are partially fried before being frozen...that seems to be the key.

Also, the potato species is pretty optimal for frying.

ElevenBravo
03-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Vacuum packing may help prevent freezer burn... but you likely already know that.

Enjoy your victory garden!

EB

Stormfeather
03-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Im looking to do the same thing, except Im doing potato chips dehydrated style, this way I can add some of the Amish dehydrated cheese powder and have au gratin style potato's

bacpacker
03-07-2014, 04:42 PM
We dehydrated some two years ago. They have held up well. Good call on AuGratin.