PDA

View Full Version : Military Ball

Gunfixr
03-08-2014, 03:37 AM
Tonight was our daughter's first military ball. She's in high school, and is in the Air Force ROTC in her school. They had the ball for her school and another, combined, which as the USMC ROTC in that school.
She doesn't have a boyfriend, but got a friend who she dated for awhile, and is also in the Air Force ROTC to take her. He went in his Class As, she got a dress.

She's almost 16, about an inch taller than her mother. All dressed up for the ball.

My, how they grow up fast.

I guess it's time to start keeping the shotgun out and loaded up.

ak474u
03-08-2014, 03:42 AM
The best thing to do is remind the boy.... "I ain't killed anybody in months, and I'm not afraid to go back to prison".

I dated a girl in high school whose dad was a big bad biker dude, he had his gun on the table when I came in for our first date. I said "how do you like your Glock 17 sir?" That started a gun conversation, and I was his favorite from that day on.

Gunfixr
03-08-2014, 03:49 AM
Nice. I was my wife's dad's favorite once he found out I was a machinist, which was what he did, that I actually knew what I was doing, so I must be paying attention. That I had a job, paid for our dates, and had two vehicles I was paying for didn't hurt.
Apparently most of the rest were losers.

I've met this kid a couple times, once when they were dating last summer, and again tonight. Got the same impression both times.
My daughter could easily kick his ass.
I did joke about being all kitted up, with my AR and all, when he arrived.
My daughter was afraid I'd "scar him for life". I wondered how that was a bad thing.

Fidel MD
03-08-2014, 03:36 PM
I always find it strange that the males have to put on mess kit, and the females get to wear party clothes.

My wife (who is also in the military) says she'll let me wear a dress next time.

ElevenBravo
03-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Yup, they do grow up fast! It seams like just not long ago, I held that precious bundle on my chest and we both drifted off to sleep... First bite of food, first time walking, first words... Wow... Mine is 16 now too... Shes doing okay, but I keep pushing her to do better, because I want her to be a better person than the typical Merican.. and I tell her so, so she doesnt think Im just an ass but I have a reason.

I punish her for wrong behaviour, and praise her for good behaviour. It works out pretty good... Its pretty much the same way you train a puppy.

EB

ak474u
03-08-2014, 11:33 PM
I always find it strange that the males have to put on mess kit, and the females get to wear party clothes.

My wife (who is also in the military) says she'll let me wear a dress next time.

You can do that now! It's a new military where "Man's Man" means something totally different.

Gunfixr
03-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Maybe I'll suggest next time he wear the dress, and she her Class As.

Yeah, I remember those times too. When it comes to discipline, we do the same. I think our kids think I'm a hardass, but not unfair. Well, mostly not unfair. Now, our son, who is 21, understands much of why we did what we did. He can see his friends compared to himself, and there is a pretty big difference with many of them. Our daughter pretty well understands already, but she is quite mature for her age. I think sometimes she is more mature at almost 16 than he is at almost 22.
I got pics, if all here are cool with it, I'll throw them up. They should be, my wife had them on Facebook almost before she was off.

bacpacker
03-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Go for it.

Gunfixr
03-09-2014, 12:43 AM
I know everybody here wouldn't mind, I was talking about "here" as in home.
LOL

izzyscout21
03-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I only go to military balls to drink from the grog bowl....... ;)

Stormfeather
03-10-2014, 10:24 PM
*sigh* I miss the Grog Bowl!!!!

Whos got a sock?

Gunfixr
03-18-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm presuming the "grog bowl" was the punch bowl.

I asked, and there was no grog bowl. The drinks came from several of those big stainless tea/coffee dispensers.

I gotta download the pics from the phone and get 'em posted, wife is cool with it.

izzyscout21
03-19-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm presuming the "grog bowl" was the punch bowl.

I asked, and there was no grog bowl. The drinks came from several of those big stainless tea/coffee dispensers.

I gotta download the pics from the phone and get 'em posted, wife is cool with it.

Yeah, you're not going to see the grog bowl at a JROTC ball.

Traditionally, "grog" is made using any all all type of alcoholic beverage that is available at the time...... Clear liquor, brown liquor, wine, beer, etc and its all mixed together. You just dip your mug in and go.

Its delightfully disgusting.

ak474u
03-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Yeah, you're not going to see the grog bowl at a JROTC ball.

Traditionally, "grog" is made using any all all type of alcoholic beverage that is available at the time...... Clear liquor, brown liquor, wine, beer, etc and its all mixed together. You just dip your mug in and go.

Its delightfully disgusting.

When I used to travel all over for car shows, the clubs that were regulars always called it jungle juice. Everybody brought juice and a liquor of their choice. I think I'm still hungover from back then and its been 15 years.

bacpacker
03-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Ah, jungle juice. I remember those days. Sort of!

greg48
03-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Last time I wore my Class A's was the Army Ball, my wife looked beautiful. I retired shortly after, I miss the wearing Army green, my wife misses the Army wife roll as well.

Gunfixr
03-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Ok, here finally are the pics.
First is her, and second is her with her date for the evening.

ETA: Our little Kati, all growed up.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k31/Gunfixr/Other%20Stuff/2014-03-07182712_zpscff137db.jpg (http://s84.photobucket.com/user/Gunfixr/media/Other%20Stuff/2014-03-07182712_zpscff137db.jpg.html)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k31/Gunfixr/Other%20Stuff/2014-03-07200509_zpsa46f69da.jpg (http://s84.photobucket.com/user/Gunfixr/media/Other%20Stuff/2014-03-07200509_zpsa46f69da.jpg.html)

bacpacker
03-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Great photos. You gotta be very proud.

Gunfixr
03-31-2014, 10:54 PM
I am, actually.

I can easily remember when I didn't even have a thought to having children, much less having the ability to actually raise (rear) them.
And now, Kati (Kaitlin) will be 16 here in July, and Alex (Alexander) will be 22 in June.
Freaking unbelievable !!!!!!!