PDA

View Full Version : EDC Medkits

bourneshooter
03-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Curious who all is carrying a EDC Medkit. Specifically a IFAK focused on trauma - Tourniquet, Combat Gauze, Emergency Bandage, Gloves, Chest Seals, Nose Tube, Chest Needle, etc.

I'm looking for the following information as well as how you carry it.
On body? (What and how)
Off body? (What and how)
In vehicle only? (What and how)

A: Tourniquet
B: Combat Gauze
C: Emergency Bandage
D: TQ + CG
E: Some variation.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post an example:

On body all the time: Tourniquet. Either on a duty belt/war belt in a First Spear 6/9 TQ pouch or in a pocket. CAT or SOFT-W Gen 2.

On body some of the time (80% or so) a Pocket DARK from Dark Angel Medical or pocket "Low profile deployment kit" from Phokus Research Group.

When the TQ is the only item on body, I have one of the above kits in my EDC backpack which will be close by.

Off body I have a Full IFAK in my vehicle at all times.

ditchmedic
03-09-2014, 01:06 AM
I roll around in an ambulance most days. Thats all I got.

LUNCHBOX
03-09-2014, 04:27 AM
I carry a hit kit (#1) and a small med kit (#2) in my GHB at all times. I don't carry a kit on my person if at work or home.

My kits include..

#1, CAT, Isreali bandage, Quikclot gauze and gauze wrap.
#2, minor meds, bandaids, ointments, gauze, ace bandage, etc..

This is day to day, shtf and my kit obviously grows.

mitunnelrat
03-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Left cargo pocket, in a one quart, ziploc bag:
CAT; Izzy dressing; Quikclot gauze; shears; 100 mph tape; 2 ea. 4"x4" dressings; super glue, and PPE mask/ gloves

The rest of the USGI IFAK that came from is stuffed into an HSGI bleeder pouch on a vest.

My wallet carries a few bandaids, single use triple antibiotic ointment, an antiseptic wipe, and one to one days worth of motrin, an antihistamine and an AD med.

Lastly, I don't know if it qualifies as "med", but I'm thinking one of those breath of life hoods for emergencies at school. Reviews seem to indicate it will block some smoke and riot control agents.

2die4
03-10-2014, 02:36 AM
IFaks for major trauma get left in the cars. If going to the range or hiking then they get thrown into my pack. Otherwise I have a small kit for simple scrapes and cuts that I have in my edc pack at all times.

bourneshooter
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
I would highly encourage all people to carry a TQ every day, all the time. Especially in the light of the Boston Bomings almost a year ago and the anniversary coming up.

Wide open borders and the reality we have a weak country in the eyes of the enemy (Russia and AQ affiliates), equal a higher risk of attack.

I've got TQ's stashed all over, as well as more trauma kits than I know what to do with some days. Worth being prepared.

Then get some training. If you can't afford it, at least watch the youtube videos shown by the manufacturers and save your $ for a TCCC type class.

ditchmedic
03-10-2014, 10:01 AM
In seriousness, I dont carry a kit with me everywhere I go. I can improvise a tourniquet out of strange things. My belt specifically can be used.

As far as at home, I can do anything from staple a wound closed to decompress and pneumo.

Gunfixr
03-18-2014, 12:39 AM
I roll around in an ambulance most days. Thats all I got.

Is that kind of like "why do I carry an ambulance? Because a hospital is too heavy".

I'm thinking after reading this thread I don't carry enough. Got afew things in the GHB that goes with me everyday, and into work when I get there.
My IFAK is with the rollin' gear.
We have a gun crew kit at the house. There's other supplies as well.

Caveman Survival
03-18-2014, 02:21 AM
This is an area that I sorely lack in. I don't think I've used bandages since I was 7. I've had my fingers cut to the bone, nails in my foot, stabbed, hit by a car, electrocuted, teeth put thru my lip, bottom eyelid split in two, golf clubs and bats to the head. You name it and there is a good chance it's happened to me. I've never used a disenfectant, an antibiotic or a steroid.

Hot needles, hot knives, hot glue and healing plants that forage have helped me until now.... But I know the importance of medkits, and I do have some on hand for my family... They don't have the pain tolerance that I have.

With that being said I still have to put one together for myself and not be so reckless and stupid

mitunnelrat
03-18-2014, 08:46 PM
You know, for all of the talk of how violent the US is... You and T both sure do seem to have more violent encounters EACH than the rest of us do collectively! ;)

But then I suppose its a small matter for a nation that can hide its true name in plain sight to keep stories of violence from spreading

Fidel MD
03-18-2014, 10:05 PM
I run an Emergency Department, have a full trauma kit in my truck and more than that at home. I don't carry much on my person, unless there is a reason for it.

I do have a pretty comprehensive blow-out kit attached to my range bags, which is enough to keep someone alive until I can get the gear out of the truck.

Sniper-T
03-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Life is as you make it MTR. if you live a sheltered life you can probably get by with a couple bandaids. if you live 'balls to the wall with reckless abandon', ya might need a couple more! lol

I have a kit in my sled, my quad, my truck, my house, and after an unfortunate lawnmower incident a couple years ago, that my wife wont let me forget, I have one in the garage too. lol

mitunnelrat
03-19-2014, 01:06 AM
I don't know if its so much a sheltered life for me as it is a healthy dose of luck and diplomacy. My face just isn't pretty enough to let someone smash it and make it worse.

Back on topic now though, I really am surprised I haven't seen more on-person kits in this thread. IMO the guns many of us carry are a prep "against" severe trauma, while a kit is a prep for it.

Fidel mentioned in another thread that we can bleed out within minutes of an injury, be it from a GSW, chainsaw, or lawnmower (?). At home is one thing when the gear is guaranteed to be nearby. Away from home is another beast in my eyes - at least under my specific circumstances. I can forsee being separated from a bag or my car, yet getting seriously injured. All it would take is one seriously disgruntled student.

bacpacker
03-19-2014, 01:22 AM
I keep a decent kit in my truck and DD, some stuff really beyond my capabilities. I also have a EMT type kit at home. My nephew and niece are both anasteesiologist (sp). Nephew went thru it and thought it was pretty much up to speed. Just need to replace some of the expired stuff.
I keep some blow out type stuff in my GHB. I really need to get more of that type stuff. TQ, clot gauze, that type stuff. I've been using a chainsaw a lot lately and have been thinking about this stuff a lot.

bourneshooter
03-20-2014, 07:33 AM
I'm working on a review of the Dark Angel Medical Offerings at this time, but I've reviewed a few different trauma kit options on the market for my blog. Here are the posts on them as it is relevant to the conversation.

(Typed while carrying a SONS low-vis deployment kit in my pocket and a CAT in a First Spear TQ pouch on my duty belt and about 3 IFAK's in my Patrol Car).

http://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2014/03/phokus-research-group-sons-trauma-kits.html

http://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2014/02/first-spear-tourniquet-pouch.html

http://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2014/02/first-spear-tourniquet-pouch-follow-up.html

http://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2012/10/pocket-carry-ifaks.html

http://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2012/09/font-face-font-family-times-new-romanp.html

http://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2012/08/ifaks-for-leoccw.html

Caveman Survival
03-21-2014, 02:36 AM
@mitunnelrat I consider it a product of a miss spent youth. Now that I have matured (some) life is pretty even keeled.

Since my posting I have been examining some basic med supplies that I can carry without being too bulky (gauze pads, wax thread, suture needle, etc.) it fits nicely in my over the shoulder pack I haul without eating up my knife, paracord, and fire starter kit space

Gunfixr
03-26-2014, 03:42 AM
In over 20yrs of working in machine shops, I've seen plenty of blood, and most of it was mine.

9 times out of 10, electrical tape has fixed it. Most times I rinsed the wound with water first, sometimes not, just wiped on my pants and taped until blood stopped leaking around.
Then get back to work, wipe all the blood off everything so the steel wouldn't rust.

I don't get myself hurt near as much as I used to, but then now I have enough permanent damage from before that I don't really think I hurt any less, just bleed less.

mitunnelrat
05-28-2014, 07:09 AM
I'm going to change the focus a bit, if I may bourneshooter? Ah hell, forgive me even if you don't want it, because I'm going for it anyway! ;)

I came across a rather more comprehensive approach on another website (I forget where) that I find appealing as a vehicle-borne EDC kit. It comes from a civilian medical professional who's used it in real-world scenarios like the aftermath of tornadoes and such. He has provisions for infection control, Airway & Breathing, Circulation, and instruments in it:

Infection Control - Nitrile Gloves, 12 pair minimum. Blood Splash Gown, 2. Folded masks with clear splash shields, 2. Vionex (or similar) disinfectant wipes, 6. Red Biohazard bag.

Airway & Breathing - NPA's, set of 6 sizes. Pocket mask with one-way valve. Tongue depressors and set of oral airways. Turkey baster bulb syringe with flexible tube. Vaseline Gauze/ ACS/ other chest seal.

Circulation - Multi-Trauma dressin, 2 if possible. ABD pads or surgipad combine dressings, 2 to 4. 4"x4" gauze pads, 10. Bandaids, 10. 4" Coban Stretchy Adhesive Wrap. 2 or 3" adhesive tape. Triangular bandage, 2. foil rescue blanket. BP cuffs and stethescope (optional). Cake icing gel tubes, 2. Chewable baby aspirin, 1 bottle.

Instruments - head lamp. multitool. Pediatric medical card. vital stats pad. extra batteries. spring loaded center punch. pens. trauma shears. flashlight.

I can see a lot of crossover between this and a dedicated trauma kit, without too much extra. Mostly the ability to treat children with different size items, the cake icing for controlling blood sugar levels, and the baby aspirin for heart attacks. I figured it was worth sharing for some input and ideas.