PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about selling my 2005 titan

helomech
03-09-2014, 11:06 PM
And buying one of these M923A2 6X6 5 tons. I drove them a lot in the Army, and the wife is on board somewhat. Anyone have any real world reliability on them. I never had any issues with them in the army, but they where not used very much. I can get one like this for less than my truck is worth. I would really like one of the dump bed models, but the price on those go up quite a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-AMC-General-5-ton-6x6-M923A2-/301114838043?forcerrptr=true&hash=item461bd7cc1b&item=301114838043&pt=Military_Vehicles

ElevenBravo
03-09-2014, 11:34 PM
The cool factor is top notch, for sure... But you do realize at best it gets 10mpg?

Id like to have one myself, it would have a radio type box on the back... then it can haul, AND be an RV too! The 6X6 had locking diffs as far as I know... Tires are expensive so it would have to have good rubber.

It would be nice to have a BIG truck, but depending on where your going, THAT big might be TOO big.

Id still do it, but shes large for a daily driver... though, it can be done!

EB

helomech
03-09-2014, 11:47 PM
The cool factor is top notch, for sure... But you do realize at best it gets 10mpg?

Id like to have one myself, it would have a radio type box on the back... then it can haul, AND be an RV too! The 6X6 had locking diffs as far as I know... Tires are expensive so it would have to have good rubber.

It would be nice to have a BIG truck, but depending on where your going, THAT big might be TOO big.

Id still do it, but shes large for a daily driver... though, it can be done!

EB

It isn't something we will use a lot. Only for going pick up heavy loads, feed, rocks and so on. My titan can carry 2k lbs in the bed, but that is not enough sometimes. I only put about 10k miles on my truck in the last 4 years. Tires are about 300 each, and that is what I spend on my titan's tires, but it has 2 less tires. The truck in the ad only has 86 miles on it since over haul and the tires are 95%, the spare is brand new. So those tires would last me a very long time. It would not be a daily driver, we have cars for that. Strictly used for farm use really. 10mpg is not a deal breaker, I imagine it will only be on the hwy less than 100 miles a month.

bacpacker
03-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Good lookin truck. Sounds like it would fit your needs in a better way.

izzyscout21
03-10-2014, 02:01 AM
Helo, go check out DRMO. I e seen these sell in better condition for 1/3 that price. You just gotta go get it.

helomech
03-10-2014, 02:27 AM
Helo, go check out DRMO. I e seen these sell in better condition for 1/3 that price. You just gotta go get it.

How do I do that?

izzyscout21
03-10-2014, 02:31 AM
Govt liquidation website. I forget the address right now. Quick google search should bring it up

2die4
03-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Govt liquidation website. I forget the address right now. Quick google search should bring it up

http://www.govliquidation.com/ Here you go.

helomech
03-10-2014, 02:42 AM
And you can just bid? Any special requirements?

ElevenBravo
03-10-2014, 08:02 PM
And you can just bid? Any special requirements?

None, other than have the money to make the payment! Its open to the general public.

Beyond that, I have no knowledge of the actual procedure... The guy I bought my ranger sleeping bags from got a few crates from gov liq!

You buy, you pay, you fly then you drive it home... AFAIK..

There is the small detail of getting it registered and then being able to insure and put tags on it... that's a process all in it's own.

If the one on ebay is already registered, it would be simply like buying a car or pickup from someone, transfer the title and you own it. From DRMO, not so straight forward.

I hope someone can chime in and fill in the blanks... Im interested myself.

EB

Stormfeather
03-10-2014, 09:43 PM
http://www.govliquidation.com/

This will be your best bet for not only a truck, but the exact style you are looking for as well. Look here for replacement tires as well!

Now, there are no special requirements for bidding and purchasing with the exception of needing to fill out a End Users Agreement for .military gear. The .gov requires to this to ensure that misc gear they sell wont be sold off to foreign gov't, used against the US Gov't ect ect. Other than that, look at the details in the ad, they will tell you if the truck was driven onto the DRMO lot, or towed into the lot, ect ect. Some of the ads even have video on them. Best way I do it, is that I look at all the states that surround me and I look at those bases so that way it limits the distance I have to go to pick up the items. You WONT be able to bid, pay, and just drive off the base with the truck, it is required to be either towed or trucked off of the facility, what you do with it after it leaves the base is all on you. I know one guy who bought two working 5 tons, had a large tow truck tow them off base down the road, and drop them off. He got in and drove them home from there. Now each base may be different, consult them for details of course.

helomech
03-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks Stormfeather

Stormfeather
03-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Not a problem, good luck and show us some pics once ya get your rig!!!

helomech
03-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Not a problem, good luck and show us some pics once ya get your rig!!!

Not in a huge rush, so it won't happen real soon. Going to watch some bidding to get a idea of what happens, then find some to bid on. Fort Hood is not to far, and Fort Polk is not to bad either.