PDA

View Full Version : My latest ride

mitunnelrat
03-17-2014, 03:12 AM
I finally got around to replacing the car I wrecked last fall:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140310_053819_zpsjsybmu1i.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/mitunnelrat/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140310_053819_zpsjsybmu1i.jpg.html)

An '05 Ford Ranger XLT, super cab with 4wd. So far its just sat in my driveway looking awesome, but that'll change at the end of this week, and driving it home told me its well worth the wait.

Just had to share since its gotta be the most versatile, capable rig I've gotten yet. Specs and aftermarket ideas to follow, suggestions welcome. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of aftermarket storage or gun security for these.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-17-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm sure you can "stuff" something in there. Put a lift kit on it, some big ass tires a spare on the roof and you should be able to make it anywhere you want to go! Just a few modifications is all...........
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/sardog87008/0802mt_04_zmonster_minitrucksford_ranger_zpsbeea73 d8.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/sardog87008/media/0802mt_04_zmonster_minitrucksford_ranger_zpsbeea73 d8.jpg.html)

izzyscout21
03-17-2014, 03:13 PM
^^lmao

bacpacker
03-17-2014, 04:51 PM
You forgot to ahow the ladder to climb up in it! :)

mitunnelrat
03-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Lol. As much fun as that might be.... :D Part of the decision making process on this particular truck was its more compact size while still providing some cargo capacity and some more interior room. I can drive a lot of things, but the smaller the better. I only use one eye and my depth perception is crap. I recently found out many people with the same condition often don't/ can't drive at all. I at least still have some vision in my "bad" eye.

I'm just happy you didn't recommend truck nuts... ;)

bacpacker
03-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Looks like a nice ride MIT.

ElevenBravo
03-17-2014, 08:37 PM
It wouldnt be my fist pick for myself, but I do like it... Ive been thinking of a pickup myself, Id sure like to have a 4 door Dodge with Cummins, 8 foot bed, 6" lift, 33" tires, straight drive trans, camper top and tow kit (hitch w/ wiring)... Solid front axle version of course.... And no, I wouldnt put fag stacks on it, it would stay stock exhaust. :-)

bacpacker
03-17-2014, 10:26 PM
MIT my uncle has had Rangers for years. He drives a lot for his job and has been pleased with them. To my knowledge he has had no issues other than normal maintenance.

mitunnelrat
03-17-2014, 11:14 PM
That's what I've seen as well, and I was smart enough to take my dad to check this one out. Pretty sure I found a good one from his reaction too. He's called a buddy over to check it out, and asked if he could drive it to work one day I'm off! Lol.

One small dent and some minor scratching to fix on the passenger side, new chrome on the front bumper, and new wheels will have this thing looking brand new again. its sound mechanically. I should be able to hang onto this one for a while, or recoup my money in a couple years to upgrade to something newer.

LUNCHBOX
03-17-2014, 11:25 PM
Very nice, that is what you need.

Gunfixr
03-18-2014, 12:53 AM
It'll be just fine, it's nice.
Gun security is tough, you're right. You could get a metal toolbox for the rear, or get/build something. The construction site Joboxes are heavy gauge steel and lock, they should be secure enough. Bolt it down in the back. Or, you could get one of the less expensive steel gun cabinets they sell, and just lay it down in the back and bolt it in. You'd have to modify the racks so the guns wouldn't bounce all over each other.

mitunnelrat
03-18-2014, 03:17 AM
The side windows of the cap lift open like the rear so I'm thinking the bed length wheel well toolboxes might be a good choice if I want easy access. I've had truck vault boxes recommended as well, and actually found something really cool with them: the S&W QuickDraw safe for in-home or in-cab. I rarely carry a long arm out and about, but pistol is another story, and NPE's are the story of my life right now. A higher quality, better secured safe than my current model - that is also easily accessible - sounds like smart money to me.

Secure storage behind the seats would be awesome as well, but I've been napping in my truck between classes on Tuesdays and there just isn't enough room to stretch out across the cab of a ranger. The standard cab I've been using taught me that much, so I'm thinking a couple triangular cushions to support my neck/ back, and under my knees would seriously up my comfort level in this truck.

I keep kicking around the idea of a Reese hitch receiver and brush guard or bull bar for the front. The Warn Trans4mer caught my eye, but I'd have to find someone capable of modding the mount. I don't plan to do any serious off-roading, so I could almost just throw a block and tackle in the bed if I do hit a trail for the same results, couldn't I?

The only other things I can think of right now are a comms array for CB and HAM, and MOLLE seat back/ visor panels for cab organization.

ak474u
03-18-2014, 03:28 AM
I second the jobox tool chests, they're tough, and even if you don't frequently carry a long gun, its great for a GHB, pistol, comms, etc.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Now maybe you don't have to worry about that ride with Lunchbox and Kodiak this year. You know, that creepy feeling you had last time being squished in between two big hairy guys who you'd never met before taking a loooong camping trip? Kinda had that "Deliverance" thing written all over it. :rolleyes:

Kodiak
03-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Funny thing is BWRR, he kept asking to sit in the front seat between me and LB. :p

mitunnelrat
03-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Hey! That was only to make it harder to throw me in a holler!

eagle326
03-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Hey! That was only to make it harder to throw me in a holler!

Now being an Ohio boy myself ; I can honestly say L.B. & Kodiak would never have thrown you in a holler unless it was for your own good or you needed it for tactical learning purposes. :p

mitunnelrat
03-22-2014, 06:45 PM
You may be right. When we did get into them they were a lot more worried than I was. I think they've been too citified ;).

I was cool because country is country-wide. I learned that in a song.

eagle326
03-24-2014, 03:21 PM
You may be right. When we did get into them they were a lot more worried than I was. I think they've been too citified ;).

I was cool because country is country-wide. I learned that in a song.

Can't wait to hear about the 3 amigo's next adventure to Tennessee. This could turn into the Dukes of Hazzard plus one kind of trip. :eek:

tystone48
03-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Now that could be a cure to walmart shopping carts...lol

The Stig
03-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Nice looking ride.

Much jealous.

LUNCHBOX
04-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Sand bagging your thread.....l just picked up an 04 F-150 today.

mitunnelrat
04-20-2014, 01:42 AM
Another great truck right there, imo! Congrats!

I was starting to look at them when I found my Ranger. It will be my next truck for sure.

LUNCHBOX
04-20-2014, 03:46 AM
I went with the extended cab, 8 ft bed, Triton V8.....someone might say overkill (not anyone on this site with our line of thinking of course) My daughter said it would make it easier to cut through a yard if needed, kids, where do they learn such things...lol

mitunnelrat
04-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Lol. Kids are great for creative ideas. I say she gets bonus points for coming up with a*plausible scenario this time.

I'm certainly not going to call it overkill either. I had my reasons for picking the Ranger, but I knew going in it would have limitations when compared to an F150. I hit one yesterday, actually. I lack the bed length and width to lay a sheet of OSB flat. It sticks up and over my tailgate. Incidentally, I was also the smallest truck at the lumber yard. It looked like a Ford convention in the lot and they were all full-sized trucks. You'd blend right in up here.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-20-2014, 01:08 PM
I have to chime in on the plywood thing. I have a 99 Urban Assault Vehicle (Suburban) what I really love about that is when I happen to remember things in town I can always fold the rear seats down and throw drywall, plywood, etc right in the back no problems. I've hauled just about everything you could think of with that thing from tractors to motorcycles, all the debris from our remodeling job on the house. I am the KING of the tire plugs down at the CO-OP though. It's going to be a very sad day when she dies.............223,000 miles and I'm still nursing her along, runs like a champ. I'm just real religious about maint. I've changed every sensor the "spider" (fuel injectors), radiator, catalitic converters, had a cracked head so I did the valves on both, distributor had a stripped thread for the damn cap so I replaced that, that was less than a $100 (plastic) so I just fixed everything before it becomes a major issue. Now I'd better shut up before I jinx it. Ahhh, the country Cadillac. Damn thing just rides so smooth ya know?

mitunnelrat
04-21-2014, 12:45 AM
That's cool. I've read the Suburban is an incredibly capable vehicle, but I didn't know it would swallow 4x8 sheets whole like that. Do you know how the suspension compares to a pickup? I don't recall reading anything on that specifically.

Having a truck again has me revisiting one of my original transportation ideas too though, from before I got gung ho over acquiring a deuce and a half. The cap has been working out great so far, but if I keep the bed empty-ish for daily driving like I have been I could easily remove it and drop a pre-stocked camper in its place, ready to go on a few moments notice. Beyond that is trailering, but I'm undecided on what I want. There's almost too much to choose from in that regard, and the three styles I have in mind all have different strengths and weaknesses... Oh well, I have time. This isn't very high on my priority list at all.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-22-2014, 01:13 PM
To answer your question .......

I own the 1500 series 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive. They make a 2500 series 4x4 which is a 3/4 ton. This is a long bed pick up frame "and that's all I got to say about that."

mitunnelrat
05-28-2014, 05:05 AM
Well, I've been driving mine for a bit now, and I keep catching hell! Lol. It seems that I'm going to need to invest in some storage options, because my gear keeps getting in the way of getting projects done. I have to stop and take time to remove things to haul mulch, lumber, siding... you name it.

I think truckvault boxes might be just the ticket.