PDA

View Full Version : BCM03 MSF Chest Harness Review

The Stig
07-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I used the BCM03 Harness at a three day carbine class and here's my review.

First...the harness (from here (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-03-MSF-Chest-Harness-s/124.htm)):

03 Modular Split Front Chest Harness (03 MSF)

Advanced Design for Shooters
Split Front Design – Quick and easy to put on and remove.
Modular - Offering 12 channels of PALS webbing on the front of the chest harness, so the user can configure the 03 MSF to fit their mission.
Four Single AR15/M4 Magazine Pouches – Standard load out for most LEO and training schools.
Low Profile – Can be worn under outer garments for plain clothes operations.
The side support straps are angled to not interfere with standard inside or outside waste band holsters. Giving shooters unobstructed access to their secondard sidearm when they need it most.
Large range of adjustability to fit a variety of different configurations. From fitting on different size shooters, to wearing just over T-shirts, or over larger body armor.
Adjustable Load Bearing Strap System – distributes the weight of the load and allows greater freedom of movement and flexibility of the chest harness.
Well Balanced – Stays centered on shooter when moving from position to position.
Removable Hydration Carrier – The 03 MSF can be configured for short missions. (hydration bladder is not included)
Internal Map Pocket – Adds storage capcity without adding bulk to the rig.

High Quality and Light Weight Construction
Constructed of 500 denier Cordura fabric to reduce weight with the greatest balance of durability and performance. All fabrics meet or exceed Mil-C-43734, Class III, IV. Thread is A&E70 nylon thread. Plastic sliders and buckles are Ghillie-Tex. Inside yoke and shoulder straps are lined with a mesh moisture wicking, anti-microbial, and flash/flame resistant solution that is rated for the life of the garment (will not wash or wear out). This will give the user a rig that is cool and comfortable enough to wear for all day with the durability to last through years of hard use.

Low Infrared Reflectivity
Solid colors are solution dyed for low infrared (IR) reflectivity and flat finish.
Camouflage patterns are printed with low infrared (IR) inks.
Webbing is solution dyed Cordura for durability, low infrared (IR) reflectivity, and flat finish.
All plastic hardware is ITW Ghillie-Tex for durability and low infrared (IR) reflectivity.

Designed by Jeff Carpenter of 03 Design Group
03 DESIGN GROUP (http://www.03designgroup.com)

Made in U.S.A.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/03%20MSF1%20Coyote-2.jpg

If you are looking for a simple chest rig, that is comfortable, adaptable and functional consider the BCM03 MSF. After 26 hours of shooting over three days, my shoulders never got tired nor did I ever consider taking the chest rig off. Weather for the weekend alternated between rainy, steamy, heavy dew or sweaty. In other words, it was not a comfortable weekend to be outside but the chest rig was never an annoyance.

My set up was as follows. I wore my standard CCW carry rig of a Maxpedition Leiger belt, and Glock 23 in a RCS Phantom (set up for OWB, normally I carry IWB). I deleted the weak side pistol mag for purposes of the class.

Over that I wore the BCM03 chest harness. From left to right is an empty spot for molle pouches but I chose to leave that empty. The front two pouches on the left side had PMAGS. The left most mag pouch had a TQ in a TQnow pouch (attached to the molle on the outside of the pouch). On the right side I ran two PMAGS in the pouches, with a TT pistol pouch molle'd to the left hand mag pouch on the right side. The blank spot on the far right side had no molle pouches attached.

I used a Camelbak hydration pouch in the integrated bladder carrier on the back of the chest rig. It worked flawlessly and was a life saver. I'd pack it with ice and water in the morning and this would help keep me cool until lunch time. After that it was just water so no secondary cooling effect. Still, having water available at the flick of a switch was nice.

Over the course of the class we moved around a lot. Whether we were transitioning from prone to sitting to kneeling, or doing shoot on the move drills, the harness stayed firmly planted on my chest without cutting into me, or a strap rubbing me in some uncomfortable way. Once it was adjusted, it simply stayed put and did not move. I'd put it on at the beginning of class and leave it on until class ended (except for lunch) and it never bothered me. Once. Ever. I think the padding and web/meshy stuff on the shoulder/neck part helped in this regard.

I would say if you are smaller in stature, as I am, you will have to contend with the unused portions of the adjustment straps. I used web dominators on mine and they stayed in place well. If you don't you'll have yards of straps hanging everywhere. That said, we did transition to pistol drills and I was able to draw my Glock easily and simply without interference from straps (they were all stowed anyway) or the BCM03 itself. I did remove the mag from the far right pouch, just for this class, to make drawing easier, however.

The only real irritation is the mag pouches collapse a tiny bit when empty which makes reinserting a mag a pain in the dick on occasion. Also the mags sit low in the mag pouches so there really isn't much room on the mag itself to grab when doing reloads.

After the class I'm changing the setup as follows:
TQ is moved from far left mag pouch to the centerline of the rig, tucked into the side of the left most mag pouch on the right side. In the original location the rifle sling would catch under the TQ on occasion and create a complete trainwreck.

Pistol mags are being dropped all together.

I've added a Blue Force Gear fast mag to the right hand mag pouch on the left side. That mag pouch on the rig was my "go-to" pouch for first reloads, so the addition of the fast mag is to provide an even quicker reload and still have yet another mag in the same "go-to" position.

I chose to run the rig with a standard gunbelt but could have just as easily worn a warbelt arrangement. Throw the chest harness on over a warbelt and you have a complete fighting rig.

At $180 the BCM03 is pricey, but after watching other people fight their shitty Cheaper Than Dirt rigs its money well spent. Highly recommended.

mitunnelrat
07-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I've never gotten around to upgrading from the FLC I got years ago. This looks like an excellent option for doing so! Thanks for the review.

bacpacker
07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the review. This is an area I need to look at upgrading. I have an old Vietnam Era Y Harness. Not very comfortable and not that easy to use either.

LUNCHBOX
07-13-2011, 02:13 AM
I used to run an Eagle Ciras with soft and hard plates, it only weighed about 35 lbs loaded out. (I will update my loadout list in the gear thread) I have recently lowered my rig weight and switched to a H-harness.

Zombiehuntereky
07-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I've never gotten around to upgrading from the FLC I got years ago. This looks like an excellent option for doing so! Thanks for the review.

I do love the FLC. In my AO it is to me one of the best options for sustaioned operations. But that is one nice rig.

ak474u
07-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Too bad nobody makes a good harness like this for AK mags, I've tried a buncha stuff and always felt like I should just get a duffel bag full of mags and tote it around instead.

mitunnelrat
07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
I do love the FLC. In my AO it is to me one of the best options for sustaioned operations. But that is one nice rig.

I thought I replied to this some time ago. My bad... I like the FLC myself, its a vast imporovement over the LBE I had, but... oddly enough, its info you've shared in the past that has me considering an option like this harnesss over the FLC for 2nd line. You linked a website explaining the concept of line gear to me. I'll try to find and link it later.

Anyway, I tend to overload myself, and the FLC made that overly easy to do with too many mags and infinite pouch configurations. Not to mention how thick/ wide I started to get when I added in canteens on my hips and such. I couldn't even access my war belt in most configurations I tried.

That's why I like the looks of this harness. I don't forsee myself in too many sustained combat operations, but can still address the fact I may need to fight at some point in the future, so I draw upon the collective wisdom of those who know, and use such gear. I can see the KISS principle in the layout of this harness, it has just enough space to add a blow out kit, and probably comms for me on the opposite side. We'll see. One day I'll get some real training with these pieces, and be able to speak from experience and knowledge. Until then, I'll go with what others know ;)

LUNCHBOX
07-29-2011, 02:30 AM
With what I do in my off time (I try to live in geardomville)-I come across so many different rigs that I finally just gave up and ran light. I run a Tactical Tailor H-harness attached to a Eagle Industries cumberbund. I have a small "oh shit, I'm hit kit" in a gp pouch and a medium gp pouch with my E&E kit. A triple pistol mag pouch and a water bladder carrier on the back. Running S.A.S.--Simple And Sweet. Of course next month will be my fall line....lol.

The Stig
07-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Too bad nobody makes a good harness like this for AK mags, I've tried a buncha stuff and always felt like I should just get a duffel bag full of mags and tote it around instead.

Ak....ran across this today.

USPALM (http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?option=com_products&view=product&id=3)

http://www.us-palm.com/administrator/components/com_products/images/products/AKAR_A.png

The AK Attack Rack is for carrying spare magazines in a low profile, quick donning, and secure platform. It is constructed of 500d Cordura® nylon, selected for its lightweight and durability. The AK Attach Rack was built to accommodate wearing over a plate carrier or other forms of soft armor, or as a stand along magazine chest rig. Built to rugged military spec’s, this rack system will last for years of hard service in any conditions encountered by modern war fighters.

ak474u
07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Ak....ran across this today.

USPALM (http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?option=com_products&view=product&id=3)

http://www.us-palm.com/administrator/components/com_products/images/products/AKAR_A.png

I forgot to mention that I need AT LEAST 60 mag pouches on whatever vest I get... This mall isn't gonna guard itself now is it? lol I saw the US PALM one a while back, it looks ok, I saw one on a guys youtube channel that looks like something I'd like while I was watching draco sbr videos. It's more of a carrier that a suspender setup but still had the "loop" around the neck.