PDA

View Full Version : OH WOW!!! Can Your Own BACON!!!!

Stormfeather
04-03-2014, 04:47 AM
I stole this from ArfCom, just thought I would share it! Shout out to Pangea from ArfCom for posting this!

The link has pics of the process. . . http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/673062_A_home_canned_bacon_tutorial_.html

Just in case there is someone out there that hasn't learned this lesson yet, I'm going to show how I pressure can bacon. This isn't the only way to do it; I'm sure, but it's the way that I do it so here goes.

Wide mouth jars are mandatory.

The first roll is the hardest because you kind of have to judge your sizes on the fly. The length of the unbleached parchment paper, the amount of bacon, etc. I use Wrights Apple Smoked Bacon because it's what I like. It's thick and holds together good throughout this process. Keep the bacon cold and firm or it will stretch and make it difficult to lay out properly.

Roll out about 24" of parchment and lay about 16" of bacon on it.

Cut some half sheets of parchment a few inches longer than your row of bacon and cover one half of the row. Fold the row over on itself as pictured.

Roll the sheet of bacon up as tight as reasonably possible. It doesn't have to be uber tight, just don't have voids in the roll because that wastes space. This is where you do your final adjusting of the lengths you will use, paper/bacon.

Stuff into the jar. I place it with the open end of the roll up. YMMV

Place as many jars into your PRESSURE CANNER as will fit. Fill the pot to the shoulders of the jars but watch out for the jars wanting to float. There is less displacement with bacon than with jars of liquids. I add a tablespoon of white vinegar to my water to keep the greasiness down and to keep the pot from getting as discolored inside.

When the canner reaches the pressure best suited for your elevation, let it run for 90 minutes. After the cycle is completed and the jars cool (next day is a sure thing for safety), remover the rings and wash the jars and rings in warm soapy water, dry everything and replace rings.

Put the jars in a dark pantry and you will have good bacon for years that needs no refrigeration. I take mine from the jar and place it in a pan then bake it in the oven to crisp it before end use. The bacon is cooked already in the jar but not crisp.

Hope I haven't bored y'all.

Enjoy.

ElevenBravo
04-03-2014, 11:49 PM
I hate you SF, now I gotta go buy a canner... because you know, bacon is the only real meat candy, and quality of life ceases to exist if bacon supplies run dry.

EB

Fidel MD
04-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Wash the jars after canning? OK, I guess.

But, if you want the full experience, buy a fresh pork belly, cure it and smoke it, and then can it.

ladyhk13
04-04-2014, 02:36 AM
Wash the jars after canning? OK, I guess.

The jars have to be washed after because when they are pressure canned some of the fats will escape from the jars and they will be greasy. You need to unscrew the caps and clean everything with soapy water to get rid of the grease...usually happens with most meats. You can put your caps back on if you want or store them without them. I personally just leave them on.

Caveman Survival
04-04-2014, 04:00 AM
Yeah.... I have about a dozen jars of canned bacon in my pantry right now. Canning and dehydrating.... Two if my most favouritest things to do right now

ak474u
04-04-2014, 04:06 AM
I hate you SF, now I gotta go buy a canner... because you know, bacon is the only real meat candy, and quality of life ceases to exist if bacon supplies run dry.

EB

I'm convinced there'd be peace in the Middle East if the Jews and Muslims could just sit down and hash out their differences over a big tray of BLTs.

Fidel MD
04-04-2014, 01:59 PM
The jars have to be washed after because when they are pressure canned some of the fats will escape from the jars and they will be greasy. You need to unscrew the caps and clean everything with soapy water to get rid of the grease...usually happens with most meats. You can put your caps back on if you want or store them without them. I personally just leave them on.

I've not had much of a problem. You leave an inch of head space at the top of the jar, you shouldn't be getting a lot out of the lid since small particles could compromise the seal.

ladyhk13
04-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I've not had much of a problem. You leave an inch of head space at the top of the jar, you shouldn't be getting a lot out of the lid since small particles could compromise the seal.

But it does still happen, so it's always good to check your jars just in case.

Sniper-T
04-11-2014, 11:34 AM
well, now! Isn't this food for thought...

LUNCHBOX
04-13-2014, 02:27 AM
I had to make pancakes before, just to read this thread....

ladyhk13
05-08-2014, 07:45 PM
I'm having a really hard time finding unbleached parchment paper. One place online sells rolls of it but the shipping is totally ridiculous. I have checked everywhere I can think of....any ideas or you guys find it anywhere?

Fidel MD
05-09-2014, 02:34 AM
I'm having a really hard time finding unbleached parchment paper. One place online sells rolls of it but the shipping is totally ridiculous. I have checked everywhere I can think of....any ideas or you guys find it anywhere?

The grocery store in the aisle with waxed paper, plastic wrap and aluminum foil.

ladyhk13
05-09-2014, 04:57 AM
The grocery store in the aisle with waxed paper, plastic wrap and aluminum foil.

Tried...they only carry bleached.

Fidel MD
05-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Tried...they only carry bleached.

Then use it....

ladyhk13
05-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Then use it....

I've talked to some friends and they don't recommend it due to the chemicals in the bleached stuff...it will leach into the meat and also change the flavor. Prefer not to take the chance of ruining my meat.

Stormfeather
05-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Maybe stop by the local butcher and see what they say? Maybe even see if they will sell you a roll?

Fidel MD
05-10-2014, 02:24 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Gourmet-Unbleached-Parchment-71-Square/dp/B001KUWGDS/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1399688668&sr=1-2&keywords=parchment+paper

Stormfeather
05-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks Fidel!!! Ordered and waiting!

ladyhk13
05-25-2014, 04:47 AM
Got some from amazon. DH has Prime acct so I didn't have to pay for shipping so bought 12 rolls. I canned my first batch today and tried some tonight just to see how it tastes. I used two types of bacon, one just regular cut and one thick cut. Ended up opening a regular cut jar. Have to say that it does not hold up well. I would recommend using thick for sure. The regular kind of fell apart and got a little mushy and it hadn't even been sitting in storage yet. Just FYI.

ladyhk13
05-28-2014, 05:11 AM
Ok, opened up a jar of the thick cut and it turned out the same way. I guess I was expecting it to be just like normal bacon but it pretty much falls apart but the thicker stuff is a little better. I followed directions exactly so I know it's not that...I suppose cooking for so long at such high heat must break the meat down some. Anyone else here have a problem with it?