PDA

View Full Version : Tornado near miss tonite.

ak474u
04-04-2014, 04:15 AM
We spent about 15 minutes with our son in the bathtub tonite. A tornado crossed the highway about 1/2 mile away, and went on to do some damage just east of us. I'm tired of not having a shelter. We've been getting quotes, but these guys are crazy on their pricing. Looks like we're gonna need a new roof too. We had a solid hour of pea, to golf ball sized hail and high winds. I already fixed some wind lift a few weeks ago, and my roofer buddy said I'd need a new one if we got some good wind and hail. Hasta la vista dinero! I found a pretty cool little shelter that is close to what I wanted from a company out of Tulsa, its New Day shelters. Their product looks like a space ship. I told my wife if we got one, id have to paint it to look like a minion from despicable me. Lol

bacpacker
04-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Glad you guys came thru ok. We had a close call 3 or so years ba k. It is no fun just being close.

helomech
04-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Glad it missed yall. We missed almost all of it here, just lots of wind today.

Stormfeather
04-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Why dont you just build a underground shelter? Its actually not that expensive, and I think you can probably write part of it off on taxes? Cinderblock, rebar, cement, 5 cases of beer. . done deal.

mitunnelrat
04-04-2014, 10:22 PM
You can build an underground shelter alone in 5 days!?

OP, I am glad it didnt hit you. Of all natural disasters the tornado scares me the most.

Stormfeather
04-05-2014, 01:02 AM
You can build an underground shelter alone in 5 days!?

OP, I am glad it didnt hit you. Of all natural disasters the tornado scares me the most.

It doesnt have to be big, just deep enough and heavy enough to hide the family in until the tornado passes! Better yet, use a shipping container and bury it on the property, hatch in the top, and blammo! Tornado shelter!

helomech
04-05-2014, 01:41 AM
It doesnt have to be big, just deep enough and heavy enough to hide the family in until the tornado passes! Better yet, use a shipping container and bury it on the property, hatch in the top, and blammo! Tornado shelter!

I would not use a shipping container. They are only strong on the corners. The top and sides are very weak.

Stormfeather
04-05-2014, 03:00 AM
True, but you can lay down corrugated roofing and pour a roof on it, I seen it done where a guy was building a "wine cellar"and it came out really nice, and his financial investment wasnt all that much. He pour a roof, poured stairs, and then covered it up with dirt if I remember correctly.

helomech
04-05-2014, 03:05 AM
Would still need to do something on the sides also. I just think you could probably build one out of cinder blocks for cheaper. Or my plan is to use a 12 foot culvert.

ak474u
04-05-2014, 02:29 PM
We wouldn't have made it outside to a shelter without injury with a 4 year old during this storm, the hail was intense. Around here, just the permit for an in-ground shelter is almost $700. The shelter we're looking at (haven't decided on it by any means) is bolted to the garage floor and can be taken with us when we move. We're also probably getting close to the max structures allowance for our deed restrictions as well, so no permit, and being able to take it along later would be nice. I also like the 3/8" armor plate and cylinder topped with a dome idea for the small footprint it produces.