PDA

View Full Version : I have more free time...

ditchmedic
04-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Cause I passed my paramedic written exam and dont have to study anymore!!!!!!

eagle326
04-04-2014, 07:50 PM
As my youngest daughter would say.
Now you have to find some bodies to practice on. She wanted to be a mortician so you can imagine the kind of sense of humor she has.

bacpacker
04-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Funny Eavle. My cousin was a mortician.
Congrat DM.

mitunnelrat
04-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Congrats DM!

helomech
04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Congrats

Stormfeather
04-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Congrats DM!! Thats good shit!

Fidel MD
04-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Congratulations!

But just to break the bad news to you.....the studying (better) never stop!

RedJohn
04-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Congratulations

ditchmedic
04-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Congratulations!

But just to break the bad news to you.....the studying (better) never stop!

I actually have to starr studying for my practical skills next saturday. Though I dont stress those as much.

2die4
04-05-2014, 01:55 AM
Congrats

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Hoo-Yah, and congrats. Better start worrying about those practicals because that's what its all about. In the field you never know what you're going to come up against. Believe me, it's a mess and you can't do anything about it but apply your skills and judgment and hope it works. The more strange and morbid shit you come across the better adapted you'll become. The more stupid things you can come up with that people will do, they will do it. Above all, be safe........

Twitchy
04-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Congrats DM!

Grumpy Old Man
04-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Good on ya DM!

ditchmedic
04-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Passed my skills today. Its all sunshine and run reports now.

Fidel MD
04-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Skills are easy (unless, of course, I am the one setting the standards)......Bwahhaaahaaaa!

My favorite scenario is a simple extrication of a patient with a suspected c-spine injury and a midshaft femur fracture.

From inside a geodesic dome at a kiddy park......

And no, you can't cut any metal.

ditchmedic
04-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Is it safe to assume patiwnt is pediatric? Turn em sideways on the boars supporting the side with a fx?!?!

Otherwise thats a dick mobe :)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Damn Skippy! Atta boy keep it up, it ain't over till the paper works done. Then comes the big tests and then the real world life experiences and then the reliving it all..............yup, experience. You'll do well weed hopper.

Twitchy
04-15-2014, 01:40 AM
Skills are easy (unless, of course, I am the one setting the standards)......Bwahhaaahaaaa!

My favorite scenario is a simple extrication of a patient with a suspected c-spine injury and a midshaft femur fracture.

From inside a geodesic dome at a kiddy park......

And no, you can't cut any metal.

Sounds fun... NOT... I may bring it up with my crew though to see how they would do it, so thanks for the idea!

Fidel MD
04-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Sounds fun... NOT... I may bring it up with my crew though to see how they would do it, so thanks for the idea!

By the way, the patient is not a peds. The openings in the geodesic are (barely) big enough to get a backboard in.

ditchmedic
04-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Just pull em out? Can't fix em if theyre stuck

Twitchy
04-15-2014, 09:42 PM
By the way, the patient is not a peds. The openings in the geodesic are (barely) big enough to get a backboard in.

Well okay then... I wont even go there as I have horrible luck as it is... I may just run this call one day now... LOL...

Fidel MD
04-16-2014, 03:39 AM
Think outside the box. You have enough information to figure out how to extricate this person.

Twitchy
04-16-2014, 04:32 AM
Think outside the box. You have enough information to figure out how to extricate this person.

Considering the C-spine injury and femur fracture, Id backboard inside the dome and try to get the patient out horizontally... if the backboard could fit in, it could likely come back out with the patient if you are careful... At that point i am more worried about the femur fracture and stabilizing it since the PT will be boarded already with full spinal precautions... Would also apply a Hare traction splint to the broken femur before boarding to stabilize the leg... If I can't fit them out that way... going to plan C...

Fidel MD
04-16-2014, 04:50 AM
So far, so good. Treat and package inside the dome. A traction splint is appropriate for the femur fx.

Now, how are you going to get them out? The spacing of the dome is such that a backboard will just barely fit going in - keep in mind they are triangular and much above the bottom, horizontal bar of a space it gets narrow, fast. Too narrow to get the patient out that way.

ditchmedic
04-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Take it apart without cutting metal or pick it up from the bottom

Fidel MD
04-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Take it apart without cutting metal or pick it up from the bottom

The pieces are welded together so you can't really take it apart. The ones I've seen are anchored to concrete piers so lifting it could be an issue. But you're so close......

ditchmedic
04-16-2014, 08:57 PM
The pieces are welded together so you can't really take it apart. The ones I've seen are anchored to concrete piers so lifting it could be an issue. But you're so close......

Dig underneath? You're killing me smalls

eagle326
04-16-2014, 09:48 PM
If it's bolted down to the piers unbolt it.

Fidel MD
04-16-2014, 11:10 PM
We have a winner - or two.

Congrats!

ditchmedic
04-16-2014, 11:25 PM
This contest is rigged. Did eagle show ID before he voted?

Fidel MD
04-17-2014, 12:21 AM
This contest is rigged. Did eagle show ID before he voted?

The place I used to do this particular eval had them welded down....but I recognize the potential!

Twitchy
04-17-2014, 12:26 AM
lmao... that's awesome... Yeah, if worst came to worst id have the engine crew dig us out... However, they have the jaws so that's pointless in the real world... Good lesson on treating patients and extrication in odd scenarios...

eagle326
04-17-2014, 12:29 AM
I do what I can with what I got. :o

Fidel MD
04-17-2014, 01:05 AM
Thats just one of the scenarios I used to pull. Had to change them from class to class, though: Otherwise the students would hear about it and think they could game the system.

Another was rescue off a 'boat' in the middle of a swimming pool....Auto fail for any FF who went into the water wearing turnouts, even though the water was only knee deep. They were warned.

And I'd try to get to a wrecking yard and actually take some crap apart.

Twitchy
04-17-2014, 03:15 AM
Thats just one of the scenarios I used to pull. Had to change them from class to class, though: Otherwise the students would hear about it and think they could game the system.

Another was rescue off a 'boat' in the middle of a swimming pool....Auto fail for any FF who went into the water wearing turnouts, even though the water was only knee deep. They were warned.

And I'd try to get to a wrecking yard and actually take some crap apart.

Thank god you aren't my instructor... LOL...

Fidel MD
04-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Thank god you aren't my instructor... LOL...

You are unformed! I will make you SMART. YOU WILL NOT LIKE ME. I DO NOT CARE. WHEN YOU LEAVE MY CARE YOU WILL BE QUALIFIED TO TREAT MY CHILD!

You should see my Lee Ermy in a white coat! Hilarious!

Twitchy
04-17-2014, 08:29 PM
You are unformed! I will make you SMART. YOU WILL NOT LIKE ME. I DO NOT CARE. WHEN YOU LEAVE MY CARE YOU WILL BE QUALIFIED TO TREAT MY CHILD!

You should see my Lee Ermy in a white coat! Hilarious!

My interest is certainly peaked!

Fidel MD
04-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Thats the standard I train students to. The standard I demand they meet. If you can't work on my family, why should I let anyone elses' be threatened?