PDA

View Full Version : The uses for dryer lint and other waste products

Grumpy Old Man
07-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Well RJ it wasn't me you asked to start a new thread, but I have a little time right now so I'll throw out the first ball. I save dyer lint for fire starting. Some I leave as is in a baggy for use as tinder with my firesteel. Some I put in a baggy with a little vaseline and mix for wet conditions. When it is wet I use but kinds combined as tinder. I also save cardboard egg cartons and periodically make fire starters by filling the cups with compressed lint and saturating with paraffin. I also do this with shredded documents from work. Next?

piranha2
07-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Also, when the lint/vaseline mix is wrapped tight in foil, it makes a decent short term candle.

Grumpy Old Man
07-13-2011, 03:51 PM
On a forum (maybe here?) I saw a post about making fire straws. They were about3" long soda straws sealed at on end stuffed with vaseline saturated cotton then sealed at the other end. The poster was using needle nose pliers and a candle to do the sealing. He put several of these in an altoids box with his other fire making materials and when he wanted to use one he split it lengthwise. I'm going to try this with dryer lint; it should as well if not better than cotton balls.

bacpacker
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I would be very interested in the results from that. Sounds like a excellent idea to me.