PDA

View Full Version : Get Home Bag's (GHB's)

mitunnelrat
02-26-2011, 05:09 PM
For the next installment of my EDC gear - and the first of the 'rat packs - I have my S-type (their left hand version) Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. Like my full BOB, its a work in progress, so I'll detail as much what I have as what I'll be adding as I go along. I've expanded its capabilities by adding a few exterior pouches: an SDS grenade pouch for my snivel kit, one of their cell phone holders, and their FRS pouch for my first aid/ trauma kit. I have a Tactical Tailor tear away panel on that for easier access in an emergency. I plan on getting at least two more of those panels for easy transitions from my GHB, to my BOB, to my combat gear as the situation dictates. The nalgene pocket holds a 32 oz. wide mouth bottle and a ss GSI cup. Lastly, I have a pair of leather gloves hooked to the outer keyper.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/008-2.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/009-1.jpg

My first aid/ trauma kit is the better part of a USGI IFAK. I couldn't fit one of the triangular bandages, so its in another, more basic FAK. I also used a quickclot gauze pad and powder in the blow out kit on my 1st line fighting gear. There may be more missing, but that's off the top of my head. I do know I just added some metal tweezers and 3 alcohol prep pads to it. The rest of the contents are as follows:

Assorted size bandaids; antibiotic ointment; Motrin; Benadryl; Immodium AD; Orajel; an eye patch for the times I want to go pirate; 3 tongue depressors; single use thermometer; burn gel; exam gloves; EMT shears (outside behind a C.A.T.); Quickclot gauze; quickclot powder; a triangular bandage, with safety pins; compressed gauze packs, 2 ea.; Israeli dressing; a SAM splint; Electrolyte packet; NPA (for trained users); skin marker; tampons, 2 ea.; spare prescription eyeglasses; prescription pill box, with meds for 24 hours (non-narcotic pain meds for back issues, I keep the rx info in with them); a minimaglite; and a small roll of medical tape. I have a surgical mask for PPE enroute from a friend in the medical field. Until then I have an unopened pack of 2 N95 masks in my main compartment. They're light, but too bulky if kept uncrushed. Not pictured is a red jogger's strobe I clip to the outside since the FRS rides behind me when the bag is slung. I think it might have been "borrowed" by a certain 5 year old. Finally, I need to get some sunscreen packets

My "snivel kit" fits in the grenade pouch, and is: hand sanitizer, chapstick; pocket kleenex, toilet seat covers (not pictured, need to replenish), and eye drops for my contacts. I put a signal mirror in there for easy access too.

Next up is the small exterior pockets on the main pack. I forgot to picture the contents of the flaps flat, zippered pocket, but I have an MRE accessory packet with the mini hot sauce and instant coffee, a packet of cocoa, six hydroxycut pills (a days supply as a weight loss supplement and energy boost), and a vitamin pack.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/011-1.jpg

What I do have pictured is from the larger flap pouch (incidentally a perfect size for a hard spectacles case) and the small side pocket. In the top, I have some Jolly Rancher's, two granola bars, and a Cyclops headlamp which can either be worn by the strap or clipped to a hat brim. The side pocket contains my zippo fluid and flints, a bic lighter, a magnesium bar (w/ hacksaw striker attached), and enough spare room to add some PJ coated cottonballs after I quit procrastinating and make some more.

Behind the side pocket is a sleeve pocket.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/012.jpg

I keep a road flare ready there, and a chem light (protected in a shield). I cut a clip off the chem light shield to aid it in fitting there. Also pictured is my Spec-Ops Brand "T.H.E Checkbook Wallet". In addition to the standard cash, plastic, and ID in there I also have some toilet seat covers (Detroit toilets gave me a complex), pens, and a notepad. I recently realized I could cap off both ends of a pen tube and put some shaved magnesium in it with a striker. I'm still building ideas for a mini kit in it. A post will follow once I'm done, but the wallet's dimension are an exact fit for the laying across the top of the storm closure

mitunnelrat
02-26-2011, 05:38 PM
My next installment is on the main compartment, and rear concealed carry pocket.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/015.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/016-1.jpg

I have in the rear of the main compartment an MRE entree, MRE heater, 10 micropur tablets, and Sea to Summit spork. Nothing yet in the front pocket, but the previously mentioned N95 masks and a pocket organizer in the middle. The pocket organizer contains:

100 mph tape; a wire saw; a space blanket; zip ties; retracting knife/ hook sharpener; sewing needles, various sizes; SOG multitool; 550 cord, a pin on ball compass, and an emergency poncho. I really need to get my fishing tackle from storage because I want to add a small fishing kit of hooks, lines, snap swivels, sinkers, steel leader, and bobbers to this as well. In addition to that, I'll be going to buy some 24 ga. brass wire for making snares.

I also need to get a new county road map, since my last one saw hard use and fell apart. I'm waiting on my esbit stove to arrive, and I need to find my monocular. I also plan on getting some polypro glove liners and a watch cap (because they'll pack small in the bag and I sometimes can't be bothered to wear something like them for short runs around town), spare batteries for my maglite, headlamp, and the Surefire E2D I pocket carry, a Rite in the Rain notepad, pens, a pencil, an EOD breacher bar, and a set of lockpicks after I get certified/ licensed as a locksmith. I'm also trying to decide what eyepro to buy. I want something with interchangeable lenses for whether or not I'm wearing my contacts. I'll need a set of prescription lenses.

Behind all of that is the discreet carry pocket
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/014-2.jpg

I don't normally utilize it because I prefer on-person carry, but it fits my Beretta 92 and a spare magazine quite well.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/013-1.jpg

I'm using a velcro attachment holster from a "tactical" briefcase I bought from qmuniforms. The only other thing I carry for security purposes is a set of handcuffs. I won't ever use them unless I've stopped a felony. I don't want kidnapping or false imprisonment charges. I may even pull them out of my kit until I can get some training in their proper use, which I never received at work, though we were told to carry them. The only addition I want to make to my defensive tools is a can of OC or mace. I gave the one I had away to a friend.

mitunnelrat
02-26-2011, 05:48 PM
And so comes my last pocket. The small one on the front.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/017-2.jpg

I don't have much in it. A folding trowel, two "reference" books, the cuffs mentioned above, a Coghlan's multipurpose whistle, and prescription sunglasses (I want an expansion pocket for those)
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/018-1.jpg

And that's my GHB. It currently weighs 17.4 pounds, and is part of a total EDC package including my PSK, cell phone, lock deicer (in winter), handkerchief, Morris "File Belter" fixed blade with horizontal kydex sheath, zippo, backup bic, and my Surefire (which has a Fox 40 whistle attached).
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/019-1.jpg

Oh yeah, a holster of some sort too. The one pictured is a Smart Carry which effectively hides my Beretta and a spare mag.

The Stig
02-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us. This is exactly what we had in mind when we created the site. Real gear used by real people in real situations.

mitunnelrat
02-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Your welcome. This is actually a bit of fun because I'm no exception to the idea of people liking to talk about themselves ;)

mitunnelrat
02-28-2011, 11:49 AM
For the next installment of my EDC gear... Maxpedition FRS pouch for my first aid/ trauma kit. I have a Tactical Tailor tear away panel on that for easier access in an emergency.

The bold part should say, FR-1.

mitunnelrat
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I've tweaked and updated this kit a bit since I last posted. My camera puked, so I can't add visual aids, or I would.

I've removed the handcuffs, the two reference books, and the sunglasses case, which largely emptied that front zipper pocket. I transferred the contents of the pocket organizer into the space created there, and added spare batteries for every electronic device I EDC. I also got the flat PPE mask I mentioned, so the main compartment was emptied of all but the MRE entree & heater, a sea to summit spork, and the micropur tabs.

The main compartment now houses an esbit stove, and a collapsible 5 gallon container. I removed its handle in order to fold that small enough. I'll be replacing the emergency poncho tonight with my USGI poncho due to reading just how ineffective the emergency ponchos are in a real life evac situation. It will take most of the space in the main compartment, but the hammock I was considering would have too, and the poncho is more versatile. Any space that's left will be crammed full of more food, and I have an EOD Robotics Breacher Bar on order from county comm, which will fit in there as well.

The side zippered pocket is now chock full of PJ coated cotton balls and spare esbit fuel tabs. I don't think I could jam anything else in there, even if I wanted to.

This bag is now very near completion. I'll have to reweigh it, but I'm fairly confident my new spin on this bag will give me a workable 72 hour kit weighing no more than 30 pounds.

bacpacker
05-03-2011, 09:29 PM
+1, Nice upgrade MI.

mitunnelrat
05-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Thanks. I'm getting to a point I should probably switch to a backpack again due to the weight, but I like how its laid out and organized, so I'm just gonna stick with it for now. I've got a 5 day block set aside in August where its going to be the only thing I BO with. That may be interesting.

RedJohn
05-07-2011, 11:44 AM
I think that the backpack is definitely the option to go. It doesn't have to be a huge one, but we always need to carry more than a single bag will do.

mitunnelrat
10-04-2012, 12:50 AM
My PSK isn't the only thing that got revamped. My versipack is getting an update as well. Since I seem to like overloading it I'm intentionally keeping it supplemental to my PSK, with some redundancy and few additions. I also took the FR-1 off and distributed med gear in the front and side pockets. Its not available for pics at the moment, but I'll have some up asap. Asterisk items are pending acquisition.

Fire and Light- Bic, MFS, PJCB's, zippo wick, zippo flints, zippo fluid (doesn't it seem like the damn things evaporate at bad times), Surefire G2*(6P for now, but I want to weapon mount it so a replacement is needed)

Signaling and Communications- Saber Radio, spare battery to Saber, signal mirror

Navigation - Ball Compass

Water & Food Collection - 32 oz. Nalgene (want a stainless steel version in the future), 12 micropur tablets, Snack foods, ss nalgene cup*(requires replacement, I hooked a sister up who's working on her own kit), coffee can stove*(need to make a new one). Finally, a P-38 and a spork.

Shelter and Personal Protection- UL Poncho*(USGI for now, but its too bulky for this), glove liners

Medical- Booboo kit of bandaids, antibiotic ointment, motrin, benadry, and Immodium. Moleskin, chapstick, orajel... think that's it; Trauma kit with CAT, shears, izzy bandage, gloves, gauze, quikclot gauze: Assorted gauze pads as well

Knives & Tools- EOD Breacher Bar, wire saw, multitool

Multi-purpose- cottonballs, chapstick, 550 cord, duct tape, brass wire, zip ties

Sanitation and Hygiene- toilet seat covers, travel tp, travel kleenex, wet wipes

Defensive Items- two small pull string smoke grenades

Miscellaneous- Pocket Constitution, two 123 batteries

I have other EDC layers going as well that I haven't mentioned yet. I'll get around to discussing them, but figured I'd mention it now to say this is only one component to an entire system. I don't often travel far from home though, so this and my PSK should be more than adequate to the task in conjunction with the clothing I tend to wear.

Baker
10-04-2012, 04:22 AM
I need to stop reading the forum before I go to bed. Tagged for tomorrow morning :D

Katrina
10-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Okay guys I am putting together a GHB for DH for trip out to SD in November. I have small portable "magic" stove (name on the box), three extra canisters of fuel, I believe it's a Sterno type product, a Boy scout mess kit. Three days of dry soup, noodle and rice dish packets, some tuna, chicken cans or pouches, instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, and packets of instant freeze-dried coffee(vac packed with my "sucky" thing as lady calls it), a first aid kit and a blanket,fleece throw type. Along with a case of water what else should I put in it or in trunk of car? I always over pack so I don't want to overburden him. He don't move so well, he has rheumatoid arthritis, not too bad but enough It does bother him and makes walking difficult sometimes.
Thanks for any suggestions

mitunnelrat
10-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Okay guys I am putting together a GHB for DH for trip out to SD in November... ...what else should I put in it or in trunk of car? I always over pack so I don't want to overburden him. He don't move so well, he has rheumatoid arthritis, not too bad but enough It does bother him and makes walking difficult sometimes.

This is the format I follow for my kits, so you have:

Water & Food Collection:
I have small portable "magic" stove (name on the box), three extra canisters of fuel, I believe it's a Sterno type product, a Boy scout mess kit. Three days of dry soup, noodle and rice dish packets, some tuna, chicken cans or pouches, instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, and packets of instant freeze-dried coffee(vac packed with my "sucky" thing as lady calls it)
Along with a case of water

Shelter and Personal Protection:
a blanket,fleece throw type.
The car acts as shelter as well.

Medical:
a first aid kit and

And I'd say you still need:
Fire and Light- I'm not familiar with rheumatoid arthritis. Does it affect his hands? If so I'd recommend a BBQ lighter for fire. Might be easier on him. For light, a head lamp for sure.

Signaling and Communications-road/ marine flares are great for this, and also double as a firemaking tool. Maybe a handheld cb. He should be able to reach someone to relay for help even if his cell dies (has one, right?)

Navigation- GPS, compass, maps

Knives & Tools- a multitool

Multi-purpose- duct tape, cord, and wire can fix/ do a lot. Aluminum foil is light, useful for signaling, and can be used to reflect heat or cook on. Cotton balls and chapstick can make tinder.

Sanitation and Hygiene- I'm guessing this will be covered in "normal" packing

Defensive Items- this is all up to him and what he's comfortable with, imo.

Miscellaneous- batteries for the headlamp, notepad/ paper

I'm sure I'll come up with something else, and others will have good ideas as well. Hope some of this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

I need to stop reading the forum before I go to bed. Tagged for tomorrow morning :D

That's my favorite way to relax before bed!

slowz1k
10-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Okay guys I am putting together a GHB for DH for trip out to SD in November. I have small portable "magic" stove (name on the box), three extra canisters of fuel, I believe it's a Sterno type product, a Boy scout mess kit. Three days of dry soup, noodle and rice dish packets, some tuna, chicken cans or pouches, instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, and packets of instant freeze-dried coffee(vac packed with my "sucky" thing as lady calls it), a first aid kit and a blanket,fleece throw type. Along with a case of water what else should I put in it or in trunk of car? I always over pack so I don't want to overburden him. He don't move so well, he has rheumatoid arthritis, not too bad but enough It does bother him and makes walking difficult sometimes.

You may already have this covered, but I keep rain gear (Poncho) in my GHB. Wet and cold is not fun. Socks and socks and foot powder are always in my bag as well.... Socks too.
Something new I just added is a cheap clear shower curtain liner. It folds down small, is light weight, and it can be used for rain collection, ground cloth, or shelter that you can see through.

izzyscout21
10-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Katrina,

what type of bag are you packing his gear into?

White Tiger
11-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for sharing, I have a medic bag similar to this from NC Star...I've been using it for a range bag....but after seeing your post/pics I'm going to repurpose it!

Evolver
11-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Nice digging there Tiger! I forgot about this thread.