PDA

View Full Version : The importance of good footwear

The Stig
07-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Wore my $35 WalMart Brahma workboots to the three day carbine course.

Keep in mind these are the same boots I work in every weekend. These are the same boots I've worn to other shooting classes. They've always done well and never caused me money.

One little difference at this class.......water. Between rain and heavy dew my feet were wet the entire weekend. Holy sheep-dip. I have blisters in weird spots, a blood-blister where I get a heavy callous normally and my calves still ache.

Oh yea, the inner liner wore away so my upper toes rubbed against the steel toe. Sweet.

Long and short....I've always poo-pooed proper footwear. Now that my feet/lower legs are wrecked I am a believer.

Now looking at a pair of Merrill MOAB's.

bacpacker
07-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Is a safety toe a requirement for you? If not, check out Danner's line of boots. Danner - Since 1932 (http://www.danner.com)
I have a pair of the Ft.Lewis Go Devils. High top boots, gore tex liner, all leather, a very good vibram sole. They are somewhat heavy, but very good boots. They have many models and from all the reviews I've read last a long time.

Another pair of boots I've had seemingly forever. Vasque Sundowners are a hi quality hiking boot that's been around for many years. They have a few different models as well, some with gore tex some without. Here's a link, Vasque - Hiking Boots - Trail Running Shoes (http://www.vasque.com) I know several folks who, like my wife and I, who have put several hundred miles on them over the years and other than truly wearing out the soles, I don't know of any who has had a failure with them.
My .02 for what it's worth.

izzyscout21
07-14-2011, 01:45 PM
STIG, I currently have a pair of the MOAB's on my feet. I love them. They are an awesome boot. I might also recommend the Merrill Sawtooth's. ANything Merrill, you cant go wrong.

RedJohn
07-14-2011, 02:13 PM
I have used Caterpillar boots for the longuest time.

Grumpy Old Man
07-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I gotta agree with bacpacker that Vasque Sundowners are top notch. I have 3 pairs that I alternate. My oldest pair is 18 years old and has most of the tread on the sole worn down to nothing, but it is still very comfortable. I use them, the oldest ones, for casual walking and bank fishing, that sort of thing. They are a bit spendy at $170 (from Campmor) but worth every penny. I don't know what current protocol is, but I learned many years ago that with hiking boots you buy larger than you normally wear (typically 1/2 size larger) so that you can wear 2 pairs of socks. I use a cotton tube sock for the inner and a knit wool sock for the outer. I haven't gotten a blister in many years. Just my $2.00 ($0.02 adjusted for inflation).

RedJohn
07-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I am due for new shoes. I'll look into these. thanks guys.

bacpacker
07-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Grumpy your right about the sizing, at least that's what I've always been told. 1/2 size larger than normal. I have also heard that if possible go and try on shoes in the evening wearing the 2 pair of socks or similar that you will wear with the boots. Theory is your feet normally swell thru the day and should be their largest late in the day. After a long day walking you will appreceiate the extra space.
As far as socks go, My feet sweat a lot so I go with a thinner type liner socks that wicks the moisture away from my feet. Over that I used to use wool. Never really had a problem with this set up, but the last 10 years or so I've switched outers to a synthetic blend. Wigwam is a brand I really like and have used them for 5+ years and have had very good wear out of them. Thor-Lo is also a good sock.

pitbullnga
07-16-2011, 06:00 AM
I am stuck on what works for me, Original SWAT boots are my best friend. I tried to wear them out and after 5 years of everyday abuse and use from hiking to work to going to the grocery store the only thing that got worn was the boot lace on one boot. You can buy them from 59.00 bucks up to 85.00 depending on where you get them. they have different styles for whatever you like. me personally i have the black original 9 inch and i have a pair of the coyote 9 in( which is fancy for tan color).