PDA

View Full Version : Fired Up! Emergency Fire Starting Fuel

The Stig
07-15-2011, 09:11 PM
From HERE

http://beprepared.com/images/250/CL-S095.JPG

Fired Up!â„¢ is a safe, simple and versatile new emergency fuel & fire starting product. It has water-repellent properties, a 30+ year shelf-life and two cups can burn approximately 30 minutes. Use it to light campfires, prepare charcoal briquettes or as a safe and reliable fuel source for cooking or heating in emergency situations.

Ideal for lighting a campfire & charcoal. No kindling required
Two cups burn for approximately 1/2 hour (with periodic stirring)
Can be used with an outdoor grill
Can also be a self-standing fire
One cup will boil two cups of water approx. ten minutes
No harmful chemicals

$45 for a 13lbs tub

A comment from the Emergency Essentials blog....

Fired Up is a combination of wood pellets, wax and lighter fluid. While some smoke may be expected, it is considerably less than dry firewood produces.

Anybody heard of this/used it?

pitbullnga
07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
i have not heard of this product however alot of people in this area use the wood pellets for heating in their fireplaces ,,so with that i reckon the addition of wax for a slower burn and the lighter fluid to fire it off quickly doesnt sound to awful bad

piranha2
07-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Looks like a decent deal. You know it has to work.

Sniper-T
09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
considering that I have gas, oil, diesel, kerosene, and a million other things in the garage that burn... I don't see this as too practical. But then again... if I happen to see it on sale somewhere... a pail may end up on my shelf someday. lol

realist
09-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I use a pellet stove and it requires a small amount of starter to get it going. I saw this product on Emergency Essentials website on sale last year. So I bought a can to test it out. The first time I used it I used too much and it clogged things up. It took me a couple of times before I got the right amount down. I like it, it burns clean and is easy to use. It does not light like the match light charcoal, you have to hold a match to it to get to burn. I have not tried to use it in a windy situation. One thing that I am going to do this winter is see how well it will start damp or wet wood up at my BOL. If it works then I might consider putting more in my reserves.

Okay so what is it really good for in a survival situation? It is good for car camping, I will be keeping some in my truck with my portable wood stove. I would consider putting some in a large cache. I would remove the label and paint it in undercoating to protect the can from rusting out before I buried it. I do not recommend it for a BOB, lint works better and is much less weight. For most people who are into camping,willing to experiment and not rely on a propane stove you will be able to start a fire with what you can scrounge up.

Is there other things that are better, probably. I do not know about you, but I find that I am always trying to reinvent the wheel and have to do a reality check periodically to keep in perspective.

AlphaTea
09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I bought 350 BOXES of trioxane for about $60 several years ago. I think I'm all set for now.
I still like to use fat lighter every now and then.

bobthe
09-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I bought 350 BOXES of trioxane for about $60 several years ago. I think I'm all set for now.

I wouldnt brag about that! fuel tablets contain a large percentage of hexamine and are the preferred feedstock for pyros when making RDX!

izzyscout21
09-23-2011, 05:14 PM

where did you find that much triox? I'd like to get my hands on some more.

dragon5126
09-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I've seen it on Mil surplus auction sites.

AlphaTea
10-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Did not think about the RDX angle. So much for OPSEC.
Anyway looks like I am down to less than 100 boxes now after taking inventory.
Gave a butt load away to friends and relatives. I guess I got a little over-zealous with charity.
I generally use one pack to start a fire so I should still have enough for a few years

Gunfixr
10-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Never heard of that.
I picked up a buttload of trioxane tabs a few years ago also, and still have plenty.
I have several gallon sized freezer bags of lint, my wife is now certain I have lost my mind.

izzyscout21
10-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Never heard of that.
I picked up a buttload of trioxane tabs a few years ago also, and still have plenty.
I have several gallon sized freezer bags of lint, my wife is now certain I have lost my mind.

I tend to have that same issue. My wife thinks I'm crazy too.

bacpacker
10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
My wife knows I'm crazy!

dragon5126
10-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Every time I hear about collecting lint I get flashbacks to the movie "Striptease" where Burt Renolds is "having Fun" with Demi Moore's dryer lint...

Gunfixr
10-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Every time I hear about collecting lint I get flashbacks to the movie "Striptease" where Burt Renolds is "having Fun" with Demi Moore's dryer lint...

I don't think I've seen that.
Do I want to ???

dragon5126
10-07-2011, 04:46 AM
I don't think I've seen that.
Do I want to ???

It's a must see comedy...

The Stig
10-07-2011, 10:18 PM
It's a must see comedy...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YI8vZPuhef8/TkvE-KIuKrI/AAAAAAAAGPU/EGWQwO4VmrQ/s1600/its-a-trap.jpg

Gunfixr
10-08-2011, 02:31 AM
Lol.

izzyscout21
10-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Stig, that's horrible. I can't believe you would do that to such a beautiful briefcase.

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Just dont squeez the juice out of it!

delete after reading