PDA

View Full Version : Raw feeding pets

izzyscout21
06-23-2014, 10:36 PM
As requested, I'm starting this thread to answer some questions about "raw feeding" pets.

Let me start out with this:

I raw feed my dog except for when we travel. There are a couple reasons for this.

1.)More Natural Diet

It just makes sense. A dog (or cat) is a carnivore, descended from the great carnivore bloodlines. Their bodies require high amounts of protein. Raw feeding mimics that natural diet that they would be eating had they not been domesticated. They are not designed to eat all the processed crap that is put into modern dog foods, (i.e.: wheat, gluten, grains, etc). WHen's the last time you watched a wolf scarf down some flippin' corn?
As a result, if raw feeding correctly, you will notice a large big difference in their health and fitness levels. For example, my dog's coat, is shiner than when she was on dry food. She has more lean muscle, and cleaner energy. Her teeth are white, compared to having brown stained teeth from the crap in the dry food. And she really doesn't smell like a dog.....

2.) Financial

If done correctly, raw feeding is much more economical. While you can chose to feed any type of meat you want, I feed my dog a lot of chicken. Backs, necks, and organ meat. This generally averages out to somewhere between $.39/lb to $.50 per pound. Occasionally, I throw in some venison, fish, squirrel, or something else. I just stay away from pork, for the same reasons a person shouldn't eat raw pork- parasites. Beef, not so much. They dont digest it that well.

Compare that with a "good" dry food. When travelling, I feed "Taste of the Wild" found at tractor supply. It's one of the better dry foods out there, and has a lot of meat in it for a base. Downside is it is around $2/lb.

Personally, I choose to feed my dog the way that's going to benefit her the best. She's my PTSD dog as well as an Urban Search and Rescue working dog, so I'd like for her to be around for a good long while and be at the top of her game.

3.) SHTF

Think about it for a second.... if SHTF what did you plan on feeding the pets anyway? Probably whatever you hunt/ kill, right? MIght as well have their systems adapted for raw meat to begin with.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there regarding raw food.
No, It doesn't turn them into vicious beasts.
Yes, they can eat the bones raw....(even chicken!)....and it's safe. Cooked bones are what cause a health hazard- they splinter.
Vets are mixed on the subject. I suggest this has to do with losing money since the dogs only come in if something serious is going on......

What else can I elaborate on?

ElevenBravo
06-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Gotcha Iz, good write up and Ill see what the grocery store has I can give it a try!

I know in Germany its a common diet for Schutzhund dogs to have a raw diet, and your right about chicken bones... They are soft and pliable when raw... NOT when cooked.

Thanks for the info!!
EB

ditchmedic
06-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Nice write up. I may do this wish a future shepard.

izzyscout21
06-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Nice write up. I may do this wish a future shepard.

I have a Dutch Shepherd. My dad has Germans. One of his had a horrid gluten allergy from dry kibble, wasted awAy, lost his fur....

I told him about raw feeding and he bounced back to health.

Obviously, theres more to it than I wrote above. Has to be a balance between the meat, organ, bones, etc. somebody let me know if i need to elaborate.

bacpacker
06-24-2014, 01:38 AM
Good write up Izzy! I am gonna look into this deeper. Sounds promising.

izzyscout21
06-24-2014, 01:48 AM
Good write up Izzy! I am gonna look into this deeper. Sounds promising.

No problem bro. Anything I can do to help.
It helps with the wallet (although I know some people whose dogs eat better than they do), its better for the dogs, and the dogs really get into it. You wanna see a dog excited about dinner? Switch them to raw.

ElevenBravo
06-24-2014, 02:10 AM
Iz, for the noob... Make a sample grocery list of stuff Im gonna buy at the store.. You gave some samples, but I cant feed my mutt chicken breast, thats top tier meat! HA HA! Just picture yourself pushing a buggy and what would you find that would do the job..

Thx,
EB

izzyscout21
06-24-2014, 04:40 AM
Sure man. Ill write something up

Caveman Survival
06-24-2014, 01:48 PM
I agree with izzy here. Raw (or even table) food is by far superior to any canned or dry food. The only contribution I could make to the discussion is adding multi vitamins. Yes in nature wilds get all their nutrition without the help of plastic bottles, but I'm sure a domestic dog, with the right care will out live a wild on average. This is in part due a 'more balanced' diet. Those multi vitamins, I feel, are key if you want your companion for a longer time. Your thoughts izzy?

ElevenBravo
06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Sure man. Ill write something up

Thx Iz, u da man.

izzyscout21
07-01-2014, 03:04 PM
sorry guys, had some stuff come up.

Basically, you are looking for balance over time. Your feeding ratios should be somewhere in this ballpark:
80% meat, sinew, ligaments, fat
10% edible bone
5% liver
5% other organ meat

When I do my shopping, I normally pick up chicken backs, necks, legs, and thighs. I also look for gizzards, hearts, and liver.

One day, she might get a couple thighs. Another day she may get some liver, backs, and legs.

You're just looking for balance.

Watch their poo. If you are giving too much bone, it will appear that they are having a hard time passing. Just feed more meat. If it's too loose, feed more bone. It's not crazy rocket surgery. You will notice that the stools are more compact and with the bone mixed in, will be firmer. Don't sweat the bones, they need the calcium.

Here's a great resource that explains it rather well.
http://rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html

hope this helps.

piranha2
07-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Awesome info, Izzy. Thanks

izzyscout21
07-11-2014, 09:07 PM
No problem