PDA

View Full Version : Less than 50% germination heirlooms

Caveman Survival
06-24-2014, 02:06 PM
This year I planted a nice mix of produce. I lost all of my indoor starts to my cats, 75 heirloom varieties, all of them started off strong. Needless to say I was a little sour. But that's how it goes sometimes I guess.

I ended up seeding straight into raised beds.... Half from saved seeds from previous harvests, and the other half from store bought 'heirloom' seeds. My saved seeds all came up fine and are getting really strong. My heirlooms are abysmal. Less than a 50% germination rate and those that did sprout are ugly duckling runts. I figured into my garden plan a certain amount of losses due to purchasing less than stellar seeds, this was more of an experiment year than anything else. But I didn't expect such a weak output.

I know that everyone has their own heirloom varieties and suppliers. The intent of this post isn't to poll what sources are everyone's favourite suppliers. It's purpose was more to shed light to those new to gardening as a viable food source, or even as a shtf plan, that just cuz it says heirloom, doesn't mean that it's going to feed you or your family.

Buying those bulk seed purchases are great for long term... But the art of seed saving will be invaluable for the longer term.

Caveman Survival
06-24-2014, 02:08 PM
I will dig out the packaging and write a list of the failure brands

bacpacker
06-24-2014, 02:38 PM
I'd be interested in the vendors, varities, and year stamped on package. The heirlooms I've been getting have been produced in pretty well, if I do what I should correctly.

ak474u
06-24-2014, 06:25 PM
I had a major germination fail this year. Mostly my fault. We built a grow table, with good lights, and watered well. We didn't have any production because the soil we used (high quality potting soil) wasn't sterile. Direct sow has yielded good results on some the ones we did once it warmed up. I ended up buying plants this year for most stuff. Okra, lettuce, kale, beans, peas, radishes, carrots, all have done well with direct sow, but failed miserably on the grow table.

bacpacker
06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
I have done almost zero seeding to raise plants toput in the ground. Almost everything I plant is direct seeded, or bought plants. My stepdad does sow seed for tomatos and peppers, and for the first time this year onions. He typically has good luck with it. He makes his own soil. It's a mix of peat moss, compost, and a couple other things I can't remember. It never crust over and the plants all have great root structure. He throws certain amounts of each ingredient in a small concrete mixer he got to make his blend.

ditchmedic
06-25-2014, 01:48 AM
I had good luck with everything BUT peppers. What did come up are runts. Ended up buying pepper starts from the store and they have taken off.

helomech
06-25-2014, 02:45 AM
All of my garden in the pics I posted where planted as seeds directly into the ground, except for some of the pepper plants. I have no way to know how many did not come up, but my garden is full.

ak474u
06-25-2014, 06:57 PM
I was laughing the other day because seeds I bought didn't come up, and I have a 3 foot tall tomato plant and a cantaloupe that volunteered in one of the keyhole compost bins in my boxes.