PDA

View Full Version : Shtf

Mrscott68
07-27-2014, 11:04 PM
What do you guys think the most common shtf scenario is?

Illini Warrior
07-28-2014, 12:05 AM
without a doubt - weather related problems

mitunnelrat
07-28-2014, 12:28 AM
Or personal financial crisis

Mrscott68
07-28-2014, 05:41 AM
I think it's an emp

Sniper-T
07-28-2014, 06:07 AM
I agree with warrior. I personally deal with 1/2 a dozen weather related urgent scenarios per year in which I rely on my preps.

MTR, I hope I never have to deal with a personal financial crisis, other than dealing with my monthly payments, but I hear ya brother!

Thus far, I have yet to deal with an EMP.

bacpacker
07-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Weather far and away down here. Financial/jobs sec9nd. Hamas would be a distant third.

helomech
07-28-2014, 02:43 PM
I am one of those that don't see localized events as SHTF. I see those just as normal life, and that is preparing for things that will happen. To me SHTF means life changing events, and no help is coming. I have been through many hurricanes and don't even see those as SHTF events. They suck, and are inconvenient, but help is usually not far away. Same thing as forest fires where I live now.

To me the biggest risk of SHTF is terrorist attack on the power system. Would not be that difficult, and would cause lots of problems. That is just me, your mileage may vary.

mitunnelrat
07-28-2014, 04:46 PM
See, and I was looking at localized events as s hitting the f. I would have said weather as the most common myself, but large enough events draw relief and government assistance, and - barring serious injuries or deaths - people struggle in the aftermath due to a lack of options, which generally can be traced back to a lack of money until that assistance arrives.

I think prepping helps alleviate that strain because it puts material resources in place ahead of time, but you can see the disparity even in our community. Some of us are capable of doing more than others, and will also be able to weather minor events in more comfort. I don't see this changing unless something utterly catastrophic and uber rare were to occur on a global level to collapse multiple societies and level the playing field.

helomech
07-28-2014, 07:00 PM
See, and I was looking at localized events as s hitting the f. I would have said weather as the most common myself, but large enough events draw relief and government assistance, and - barring serious injuries or deaths - people struggle in the aftermath due to a lack of options, which generally can be traced back to a lack of money until that assistance arrives.

I think prepping helps alleviate that strain because it puts material resources in place ahead of time, but you can see the disparity even in our community. Some of us are capable of doing more than others, and will also be able to weather minor events in more comfort. I don't see this changing unless something utterly catastrophic and uber rare were to occur on a global level to collapse multiple societies and level the playing field.

I just believe there is a difference between SHTF and preparing. And the supplies needed for each or very different, even though some things can used for both.

ElevenBravo
07-28-2014, 09:35 PM
I think it's an emp
If you listen to one of the original (first year?) podcast from Jack Spirco and his guest, the worries of an actual EMP will diminish greatly.

And if the thinking minds are wrong, then my old Detroit diesel, AK47 and Coleman lantern are already impervious to EMP so IDC. :-)

As far as SHTF for me? Finicial, weather and crime... in that order. I still prep for "anything and everything", but give most focus on items with higher probability.

EB

greg48
08-04-2014, 06:41 PM
I tend to think several SHTF events will be connected? A horrible winter storm, electricity shortages, food shortages, maybe an attack on power grids at the same time, banks unable to make electronic transactions going tits up etc...Martial Law declared to "fix" the problems...

bacpacker
08-04-2014, 11:07 PM
One could easily feed another.

ak474u
08-05-2014, 02:16 AM
One could easily feed another.

I'm concerned that there may be a sharknado.

ladyhk13
08-05-2014, 02:33 AM
I am becoming more and more concerned with the illegals crossing the border for several reasons. Major problem with them is they have not had vaccines and are bringing in all kind of diseases that can quickly spread. Next is the terrorists that are coming over with them. They say these are all children but if you watch the pics shown these are not all kids, many are full grown men or at least early 20's. They are finding more and more prayer mats near the border...this concerns me since so many of our patrols are babysitting huge gaps are left for the criminal element to walk right through.
TN has received almost 3% of the illegals and no one knows where they are. This will be a strain on our economy, school system, social benefits and jobs. Not to mention the ones who will be driving illegally and cause accidents causing our fatality and insurance rates to go up.
This is one of my biggest worries right now. We are losing our country which will creat a shtf scenario no matter where you live.

bacpacker
08-05-2014, 04:09 PM
I read some where over the weekend that the batch that came here were taken near Nashville. But I have no doubts they will be moved all over the place. There is already a large population of them in Hamblen co.

greg48
08-05-2014, 06:20 PM
I have learned Indiana has a government funded coordinator for incoming illegals, yet we have no idea how many or where they are going. Diseases as well as Islamic terrorists being willfully bussed into our communities is worrisome.

LUNCHBOX
08-06-2014, 05:47 AM
I feel anything your not prepared for is a "shtf" time frame. Of course money can/does make things easier right now.

For me E.M.P. stands for Everyday Money Problems.

Alas Babylon
08-13-2014, 07:27 PM
I think of big SHTF events in probablilities. Most likely to me would be some form of pandemic. Many in the medical commmunity say its "when", not "if". Fast spread, high lethal rate., I think that would shut down commerce and the fear would push society well beyond what the actual illness would on its own. Imagine the vast majority of people either to sick to go to work, or to afraid of getting sick to go to work.
Next on my list would be terrorism. Power grid down or widespread fear that paralizes society.
The other big one, in which the first two would be included, is anything that takes down the power grid on a large scale for more than a day or two. Terrorism, people not going to work to keep the power running, EMP (natural or man made).

eagle326
08-13-2014, 08:38 PM
To me it's the combination of many small senarios that create the big one.

1- illegals overwhelming the border crossings.
2- diseases brought with them
3- gun control
4- Islamic radicals in america
5- black on black crime blamed on the white population
6- terrorist crossing southern border
7- illegal executive orders
8- ebola
9- food prices
10- marshal law
And many more. These are just a few off the top of my head. In my mind's eye you never attack with just one plan. You put a variety on the playing field so as to keep your enemy looking 360 degrees instead of one direction.

Overwhelm ; confuse , create internal strife and wait for the chaos. Then after intelligence take out most organized and work backwards until they are in shackles. The government will do whatever it takes; no matter how long it takes. Our job is to be on the eternal watch for all things.

Gunfixr
08-14-2014, 03:12 PM
I was going to say something, but Eagle pretty much hit it.

I mostly don't even pay attention to the weather. If a hurricane comes, and the power goes out, I do what I need, as I'm already ready. But, it seems for many, weather is a shtf, since they weren't prepared.
That would be the most common problem, followed by financial crisis, caused by unemployment, rising prices, etc.

With the border situation, and the Ebola thing, this could change soon.

Gun control is mostly dead in the water without an underlying way to get to it. They are trying to get it by "mental health", and by other things, such as ammunition, but without finding a way to declare us all mentally incompetent, or some event they can use to declare an emergency, it's not going to happen. The entire country armed itself to the teeth after Sandy Hook, that's a pretty blatant message. More and more, people are scared and mad at FedGov, and broke municipalities are telling their citizens to take their personal security in their own hands, to arm themselves, as cut back police cannot be in enough places.

Food prices could become a real issue before long. It takes $100 just to cover the bottom of the cart with mostly junk (no real food) these days. I remember it took two carts full to heaping to spend $100.

ladyhk13
08-17-2014, 10:28 PM
I am concerned with the diseases being brought over the border so I called our local health dept to ask them about getting a booster of all the shots I was given when I was a baby and also get all the hep shots which I have never received. I was told they will not give immunizations to Americans just because we want them. So, Americans are going to be exposed with no way to get protected. I'm going to ask my private doc if she can give them to me but since most of them have an expiration date I kind of doubt she will have them on hand to give but worth a try.

Logarius
08-18-2014, 04:08 AM
I'm in Houston and there are specially clinics you can go to for boosters for everything. Mostly for servicing workers going overseas. Not cheap but available. You might check around with a private visa processing office for a clinic. Once you know them they can recommend whatever you might need. BTW to go to Africa I had 7 shots in the same arm and felt cruddy for 2 days, but came back healthy.