PDA

View Full Version : Walapini

mitunnelrat
08-15-2014, 12:03 PM
I really don't have much I can say about these, other than I was shown the concept and it looks like a good one to me. I figured I'd share it with the colony.

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/pit-greenhouses.html

Sniper-T
08-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Interesting. and some for cold climates as well...

mitunnelrat
08-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Exactly. I just wish I had somewhere to put one.

bacpacker
08-15-2014, 12:43 PM
I found that same concept recently. If I can figure how to situate it on my place for proper sun exposure, I intend to build one. I've been wanting a greenhouse for a while and I think this is a much better all around answer.
Not sure if anyone watches Alaska the last Frontier or not. But one of the families have something similar they raise most of their veggies in. I don't think it's nearly as deep though.

Sniper-T
08-15-2014, 12:46 PM
I think the depth is relative to how cold it gets. You basically have to be below the thermocline to get some of the earths heat. And contrary to popular belief, many places in Alaska are really not that cold. At least in comparison to what we get each year.

bacpacker
08-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Very true. They are on a large bay and while it gets cold I would think the Temps are moderated by the water.

I'm thinking down here we would gain lots of time in cold we5, but probably he in the worst of summer heat as well. Some cool weather crops sure h as lettuce, caiflor, and such can't handle the heat.

Socalman
08-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Very good idea. Here in my area of So. Cal, I have the opposite problem. The summers get so hot our plants tend to cook in the ground.

helomech
08-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Basically the same thing as my aquaponics project, if I ever finish it.