PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Drum

Sniper-T
08-20-2014, 12:52 PM
The Wife and I went fishing for a few hours last Sunday, here:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/friends/0817141257b_zps42bee32d.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/Sniper-T/media/friends/0817141257b_zps42bee32d.jpg.html)

And amongst others (caught seven different species, over two dozen fish) we kept some Freshwater Drum.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Freshwater_Drum_zps6297656f.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/Sniper-T/media/Freshwater_Drum_zps6297656f.jpg.html)

Something I haven't had snce I was a kid, and one that has a reputation for being a strong tasting 'fatty' fish, not worth keeping.

Not being one to follow modern convention, naturally I kept a few and cooked them up...

I decided to play around a little to give them a fair chance...
All fish were filleted and de-boned as a walleye, but with a little extra libery to cut off the fatty looking meat at the belly

1. First fillet went straight into the hot cast iron pan with a little butter/olive oil, no seasoning/spices.
Review: Overall ok, fairly strong 'fish' taste that I didn't mind but my wife didn't care for. Nice firm flaky white meat.

2. Second fillet lightly dusted with Shore lunch Italian and pan fried the same as above.
Review: slightly less 'fishy' tasting, but still not a fav. for the wife.

3. Third fillet lightly dusted in Shore lunch cajun and pan fried the same.
Review: I quite enjoyed this one, but it presented the problem of still being too 'fishy' and now too spicy for the wife. lol.

4. Fourth fillet, bare went into a simmering pan of Italian salad dressing and poached.
review: Best so far, a lot less fishy taste, still not a fav for the wife.
Note: This is her favourite way for Walleye.

5. Soaked fillet in milk for about a half hour, rinsed and pan fried same as #1.
Review: Next to no 'fishy' taste, wife approved!

6. Soaked as above, then cooked in salad dressing like #4.
Review: Couldn't tell the difference in taste between the drum, smallmouth bass and walleye. Texture VERY similar to walleye.

Overall impression:

A versatile fish, with some flavour. If people are not fans of strong tasting fish (orange roughie, bluefish, etc.) they wouldn't like the first four methods tried, but I do and I did. For the tamer at heart, the milk soaking did wonders to remove the gamyness and make it enjoyable for my wife.

I would definately keep them again in the future!
:cool:

Logarius
08-20-2014, 02:03 PM
My objection to fishy taste drops with my level of hunger. LOL. Surprisingly, most Americans do not like the taste of fish. All kidding aside wild tasting meat or fish usually can be reduced with a several hour soak in milk. Not sure of the chemistry but it works. Glad you had a fun trip. I am jealous. Since I busted my leg I haven't had any field time and it is making me crazy.

Caveman Survival
08-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Very interesting post. I dislike fish very much, but am attempting to eat more and more of it. Milk, eh? That gonna have to be tried in my house

Sniper-T
08-20-2014, 04:21 PM
It'll actually work for wild meat as well to take out the gamy-ness.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I did not know that there was a "fresh water drum" but I do know that there is a Black Drum that runs annually in Texas, like in the Corpus Christi ship channel. Across from the "old Ingleside Naval station" they had a set of dolphins (mooring pilings) that people used to fish off and around. Well they used to pull some huge and I mean huge like as in 60+ pounds! Well I got the bright idea of doing a little selective fishing over there, visibility sucks by the way, gets real dark at 30 ft. Then one of those fuckers comes out of the murk face to face to check you out and his face is bigger than yours. Pop quiz.......what do you do? Now you see me now you don't! the fuckers were everywhere! I looked at my speargun and questioned my motives........what am I going to do wait till he pokes his head in my face again and try to do and upper cut gill shot? Fuck me I hung out for about 15 minutes to see what their game was, talk about playing with bait.......uh that would be me. So we decided to use the poles, this idea wasn't going to work. But.....it was fun.

I prefer the salt water fish over fresh due to the flavor. Bessides selective fishing is the way to go in my opinion due to one's ability to pick and choose one's meal and size of filet. Need I say more?

bacpacker
08-20-2014, 11:47 PM
I love the place you were at. Great spot.
I havent caught drum in years. We used to pick up a few while trolling for crappie. We always turned them loose. Next time I get one I'll have to try them out.

Stormfeather
08-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Never had Drum, so definitely want to try it next time im down south!

robsdak
09-21-2014, 08:05 AM
that's the whole idea of eating wild game and fish, is for the flavor. love fish.

Stormy, holler if your coming this way. i need a day or 2 to serch out some crappie minnows and we'll go catch a mess of crappie, bass and bluegills (bream down here). the bait shop up and moved, so now it's a drive too find any.

jamesneuen
09-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Best thing I found for getting rid of the fishy taste is to use lemon when cooking it.

ladyhk13
09-25-2014, 04:17 AM
I did not know that there was a "fresh water drum" but I do know that there is a Black Drum that runs annually in Texas, like in the Corpus Christi ship channel. Across from the "old Ingleside Naval station" they had a set of dolphins (mooring pilings) that people used to fish off and around. Well they used to pull some huge and I mean huge like as in 60+ pounds! Well I got the bright idea of doing a little selective fishing over there, visibility sucks by the way, gets real dark at 30 ft. Then one of those fuckers comes out of the murk face to face to check you out and his face is bigger than yours. Pop quiz.......what do you do? Now you see me now you don't! the fuckers were everywhere! I looked at my speargun and questioned my motives........what am I going to do wait till he pokes his head in my face again and try to do and upper cut gill shot? Fuck me I hung out for about 15 minutes to see what their game was, talk about playing with bait.......uh that would be me. So we decided to use the poles, this idea wasn't going to work. But.....it was fun.

I prefer the salt water fish over fresh due to the flavor. Bessides selective fishing is the way to go in my opinion due to one's ability to pick and choose one's meal and size of filet. Need I say more?

You sure are using a lot of bad words. Pls wash mouth out with soap. But I love you still......