PDA

View Full Version : Bug out Routes

Sniper-T
08-26-2014, 11:47 AM
We all have our bug out locations picked out, as well as our bug out vehicles... but what route are you going to take from point A to point B, or point C?

What happens if your first choice is not available (hordes of people along the interstates and secondary roads)? Do you have a plan B, C, or D? A buddy in my Mag group and I were discussing this the other day, and came up with three alternatives:
hydro lines, rail lines and pipelines.

Unfortunately for hydrolines, for the most part they are right beside, or within site of the highways, so they may be as congested as the roads, and may be inaccessable to all but decent 4x4's and off road vehicles.

Rail lines have the same issue, in that they are close to the roads, and as one who has driven cars, trucks, bikes and snowmobiles down a rail line, not too much fun.

Pipelines tend to be tucked away a little further, out of the public eye, but they can make for an extremely rustic experience. As where roads, rails and hydro either skirt lakes and rivers, or bridge over them, pipelines will go straight across along the bottom; so in addition to a way to move your gear and selves, if you chose this manner, you would also have to traverse water (assuming it is not frozen solid)

thoughts?

helomech
08-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Pipelines can be impossible to get through in vehicles. I know the one that passes through my yard has huge washouts going into the creek. I don't dare try to pass through it.

Sniper-T
08-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Yet I have one that runs less than 3 miles from my place and it is commonly used by atv's and snowmobiles. I drive my truck down it to cut firewood without any issues.

helomech
08-26-2014, 01:10 PM
The one behind my house has washouts that are about 7 feet deep. I don't know of a vehicle that can make it through this one.

Gunfixr
08-28-2014, 11:58 AM
I live on a peninsula. It is either a tunnel, a bridge with an opening span, or go up the peninsula by way of several main roads. Really, for the first mile, there is only one route, past several " less than hospitable" neighborhoods even now.

Logarius
08-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Preposition, go fast go light.

ElevenBravo
08-28-2014, 09:46 PM
I dont have anywhere to bug out to, yet... Id prefer somewhere close (less than an hour). I dont have money so I cant buy land, but good lord willing, that might change before I take my dirt nap... but, probably not..

EB

helomech
08-28-2014, 10:12 PM
I have no plans to bug out in a wrol situation. I plan on dying on my piece of dirt.

ElevenBravo
08-28-2014, 10:34 PM
I plan on leaving this world on my piece of dirt, kicking and screaming... covered in someone else's blood... the same way I came into this world!

Fixed if for ya Helo!

EB

helomech
08-29-2014, 01:03 AM
Hell yeah.

Gunfixr
08-29-2014, 01:08 AM
Yeah, that's us. We got nowhere to go, and that is unlikely to change.

ak474u
08-29-2014, 03:17 AM
I dont have anywhere to bug out to, yet... Id prefer somewhere close (less than an hour). I dont have money so I cant buy land, but good lord willing, that might change before I take my dirt nap... but, probably not..

EB

It's ok EB, at least if you're dead, you'll get that little piece of ground you can call your own! Granted, its only 18 square feet, and you're dead, but Lets not focus on the details. Lol

I'm torn about bugging out these days. Obviously for the sake of my wife and son, I'll likely do it if there's no way of staying safely. That being said, I'm seriously considering eliminating one possible destination from my list. A very sweet couple we love to death has discovered the prepping lifestyle, and is doing it wrong. At least they've woken up right? NO. They don't listen to advice they've asked me for, and answers theyve been directed toward when I didn't have a good idea. So... I'm not joining them at the retreat they're setting up, and we won't be joining them in the ship containers they just bought to bury.

Sniper-T
08-29-2014, 03:55 AM
Keep in mind that a back up 'bug out route' could be handy just to get your ass home as well. If I am at work when shtf, I would imagine the roads would be inundated with people and vehicles. knowing I can follow the pipeline, or the aquaduct line and get home without running into the masses is a huge relief for me...

helomech
08-29-2014, 03:50 PM
My walk home from work would take me a week, unless I steal a helicopter. Almost 200 miles driving, and I would have to go around Houston, would not want to walk through that place with no rule of law.

ElevenBravo
08-30-2014, 12:16 AM
At least Ill die on US soil, aint that right AK??

Anyway, back on track... *IF* I can get us some BOL, it would be very wise to have more than one exedus!

EB

Gunfixr
09-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Actually, I already have that 18sq ft.

Going home from work involves crossing a 4 mile wide river. It has frozen over once in the past 45+ yrs., and not recently. If I go far enough, it's less, but until I go to the state capitol, all bridges have an opening span.

Caveman Survival
09-02-2014, 12:26 AM
I have two BOLs currently. Each is roughly 150 to 200 km away from my current coordinates. One is for a shorter term bug out (2-4 weeks) and is easier to get to due to my location in my city. The other is a long term bug out (4 weeks to indefinite )or even relocation but will take a little more effort to get to if I am trying to be stealthy. Either one will be a huge chore to get to however due to my family. Let's just say their constitution is not as determined as mine.

If my two compass points are Not accessible however, then I have a third as a VERY temporary shelter to regroup and evaluate the situation 1 to 3 days tops).

For my longer two treks I think rail lines would be the appropriate route for me. I have mapped the lines and know the routes in between (farmers fields I would need to jump from one line to another). Typically rail lines afford some invisibility. Usually are ditched on either side filled with taller grass, which is great for hiding in until the highway walkers pass by. There is usually an abundance of wild edibles there as well... Crickets, frogs, wild greens. Enough to supplement your carry.

In the winter, the rail line ditches also provide a shit load of snow for quinzee making if the need arises.

This is all provided that I have to hoof it by foot of course. If I have access to my vehicle it's back roads and overland as much as possible.winter and rains can put a quick stop to that as well however...so I always have my rail line maps with me lol

Sniper-T
09-02-2014, 03:43 AM
damn... a whole post lost...

:(

Stormfeather
09-08-2014, 06:31 AM
As just mentioned, Im a fan of rail lines since I have so many in my AO, and I know the routes of all of them!