PDA

View Full Version : Chokecherry Jam

Caveman Survival
09-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Yes it's that time of year, when the last of the saskatoons dry out on the tree, the pin cherries are popping and the chokecherry trees are getting weighed down by their bounty. For the past week I have been picking my fair share of chokes. Seems as though a lot of foragers don't like 'em and leave them all for me. 8lbs in the past week with 4 more trees to harvest from in my secret honey hole.

Anyways I made a batch of chokecherry jam and at the request of sniper-t I'll post it here.

On a side note* I looked and didn't see. Maybe I missed it but have the mods thought about placing a thread or category specifically for homesteading recipes?

Anyways here goes:

Chokecherry Jam

4 lbs ripe chokecherries (makes 3 cups prepared juice)
1 cup water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 box powdered full sugar pectin ( sometimes I add another 1/4 pouch for good measure)
1/4 tsp butter (to reduce foaming – optional)
4 1/2 cups sugar – divided

Simmer cleaned and rinsed chokecherries with water in heavy bottomed saucepan, crushing with a potato masher once mixture comes to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes.

Run through the finest screen on a food mill. You can also strain through several layers of cheese cloth or a jelly bag instead, but your volume of juice will likely be reduced unless you squeeze the bag.

Measure exactly 3 cups juice into a large saucepan and add lemon juice.

Mix pectin with 1/4 cup sugar to help prevent clumping.

Stir pectin into juice in saucepan. Add butter if desired. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn’t stop when stirred) on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

Stir in the rest of the sugar (4 1/4 cups). Return to a full boil and boil for exactly 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/8 tsp headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads and secure lids. Process for 10 minutes. Remember, 10 minutes is for sea level up to 1,000 feet. Your time may vary, depending on how high in elevation you live.

That's it. Pretty simple and seriously wicked with bannock.

Sniper-T
09-02-2014, 06:10 AM
thanks dude... I haven't had since I was a kid and my mom made. her recipe died with her. If you want more, pm me.. I have hundreds of trees, along with pincherries

Caveman Survival
09-02-2014, 06:37 AM
thanks dude... I haven't had since I was a kid and my mom made. her recipe died with her. If you want more, pm me.. I have hundreds of trees, along with pincherries

No prob. Hopefully it's a fraction as good as your mom's.

I might have to take you up on that. I love chokes and pin cherries. I leave next Saturday for 3 weeks to Toronto though.

Sniper-T
09-02-2014, 06:45 AM
am in the neighbourhood... you are welcome to come over after work...