PDA

View Full Version : "The Best Defense" knife review

jamesneuen
10-02-2014, 11:17 PM
"The Best Defense" knife

Got it for $7 but it's normally 8. Overall I'm fairly impressed with it. I got 5 knives at once so it only paid about 7 a piece.

First impression, it's sturdy and has a thick blade. Comes pretty sharp from the factory but not shaving sharp.
The steel is really good and holds an edge great but the weakness is the tang. The size is a bit too big to be convenient to carry but for a heavy work knife it's not bad for size, weight and price.

I feel confident that I have a good grasp of the knife's capability since I bought them 3 years ago and have been using them for almost everything outdoors.

First knife got torture tested. Used the spine to saw through a few branches. Overall it did alright but the serrations arent deep enough to really grab and rip material out like a conventional saw. Used the knife and a hammer to split a few logs. hammering on the spine of the blade, it buried good and didn't damage the blade at all. Hammered it into a log point first. Got about 2 inches in and it snapped the tang in half like a toothpick.

Afterwards I tore one of the good ones apart to look at why and found that the tang is junk.

So I would give it about 5 out of 10 stars. Overall a "meh" rating.

Attached pictures since they say a thousand words, heres 2000.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/Dragonsworn_2006/SAM_0328_zps3617696b.jpghttp://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/Dragonsworn_2006/SAM_0327_zps24a561e9.jpg

Sniper-T
10-02-2014, 11:30 PM
thanks for posting that... and as for that tang... why even bother? Even the mfg had to have known it was garbage.

jamesneuen
10-02-2014, 11:41 PM
my thoughts exactly. may as well make it out of plastic. but I loved the blade. Might have to weld a better handle onto the remaining ones and just make them a rope wrapped.

Sniper-T
10-02-2014, 11:53 PM
If you're careful you may be able to grab a long drill bit and bore out the handle to fit a more appropriate tang. and I agree. be a shame to waste such a nice blade.

You could also spend some time, and weld on an appropriate weighted tang to make a decent throwing knife. No wrapping necessary

jamesneuen
10-03-2014, 12:27 AM
Throwing a knife never made much sense to me. lol

Sniper-T
10-03-2014, 12:37 AM
depends how many you have!!!

makes perfect sense to eliminate 10 targets at 10-20 feet before you get into hand to hand, and then have to deal with a couple, than to deal with a dozen on your front door. They can always be picked up after!

imo

jamesneuen
10-03-2014, 12:49 AM
true enough. I have used large throwing darts, 1/4 inch steel rod with tags on the end. I just never trusted the knife to hit point first. Plus I don't know why I would carry that many knives!! lol

Sniper-T
10-03-2014, 01:52 AM
I posted somewhere about some stars that I designed and plasma cut... 12+" dia... I could throw them clean through 3/4 inch plywood and stick hard into a tree behind them.

Bigger and heavier, like yours, even if it hit wrong, would still stun any attacker and buy you time!

jamesneuen
10-03-2014, 01:53 AM
but how would you carry a bunch of them?

robsdak
10-03-2014, 02:11 AM
i have a different take on knives, guys. in a survival situation, i am not betting my well being on a $7 knife and to answer your question simply... it would be the one your carrying at the time. i never leave the house without some sort of blade, be it Buck Strider, ZT, Kershaw, EESE the list is growing. like my favorite EDC is an Ontario Utilitac, looking at getting the Utilitac2.

Sniper-T
10-03-2014, 02:25 AM
strategic placement? big pockets? I used to carry a few of the big stars out deer hunting for rabbits and chickens. a loop on my belt was enough to carry enough... for hunting. shtf... bigger loop! just for shits and grins I threw one through a deer at about 15 feet, yes... through... clean through, and lost the star, but got the deer

jamesneuen
10-03-2014, 03:28 AM
robsdak, i wouldn't bet my life on this either but for a workhorse to best the crap out of i am fine with it. that's why i got so many though. that way i can abuse it and see if i would trust it. sometimes you get lucky with cheap knives and such. i paid 12 for a few machetes and paid 50 for a single one. the cheaper ones are FAR better IMO.

robsdak
10-08-2014, 07:07 PM
robsdak, i wouldn't bet my life on this either but for a workhorse to best the crap out of i am fine with it. that's why i got so many though. that way i can abuse it and see if i would trust it. sometimes you get lucky with cheap knives and such. i paid 12 for a few machetes and paid 50 for a single one. the cheaper ones are FAR better IMO.

true... i have knives that are 'worth' $300-$400 and use them, but some of the $30-$100 ones are better. i am hard on cutting edges anyway and i seem to cycle through them, if they don't 'do it' for me i either pass them along to others or sell them. i have a couple favorites that will not change, but also looking at newer and better. but i just can't see spending cashy money on trash. i totally missed what this post was about. it was a 'review'. my bad. :) and i can't even blame this on the pain meds.

jamesneuen
10-08-2014, 08:50 PM
lol no worries. everybody is welcome to their say. i just like to get a few cheap things every now and then to destroy. great stress relief and if i can't destroy it then even better!

robsdak
10-09-2014, 12:05 AM
i guess your better than i am. i will do it with high dollar crap. :) but i'd rather find out now that is it junk, then when i really it not to be.

jamesneuen
10-09-2014, 12:07 AM
but that's why i test it. to make sure the stuff i keep isn't crap. if its junk then oh well. if its good then it goes in the pile

robsdak
10-09-2014, 12:27 AM
but that's why i test it. to make sure the stuff i keep isn't crap. if its junk then oh well. if its good then it goes in the pile

if you decide you wanna save some cash, just ask about it. i am sure several of us can help. izzy is a 'gear whore', S-T is a 'Canuk' (just picking)and i am just 'broken'. LMAO!!! (i hope you guys are finding this as funny as i am)...

jamesneuen
10-09-2014, 12:34 AM
with some stuff, just doing a lot of research helps. reviews and such but some newer things don't have much info. or are too cheap for people to bother. right now i am trying to fine cheap "combat" style knives for as cheap as possible. i know cheap and reliable don't really go together but i want to get quite a few to keep on hand since i use them so much.

Sniper-T
10-09-2014, 12:35 AM
I don't think we have the same drugs as you do... but I try to find the lighter side in everything life dumps on me, presents me with and anything else... including my own foibles!

Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!
;)

robsdak
10-10-2014, 07:00 AM
I don't think we have the same drugs as you do... but I try to find the lighter side in everything life dumps on me, presents me with and anything else... including my own foibles!

Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!
;)

no drugs... just a different outlook. i like the always smile. :) really i am just picking... i promise.