PDA

View Full Version : Pork Shoulder into Breakfast sausage and Italian sausage

Vodin
10-10-2014, 01:33 AM
Cut and ground 14lbs of pork shoulder into 10lbs of ground meat. Used these 2 recipes

http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/itsausge.html

Tastes awesome cant think of anything to enhance this awesome flavor.

Made breakfast sausage with this recipe.

http://www.meatbasics101.com/sausage_02.htm

Needed some bite so added 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.

Both recipes used 5 lbs of pork shoulder. What are your thoughts / suggestions?

robsdak
10-10-2014, 02:29 AM
need an address for proper disposal? :p sounds really good, though.

ak474u
10-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Quick question... What do you figure your cost per pound was to make it? We go thru a lot of breakfast sausage around here, and pay about $3.50 a pound. Sounds like a good recipe.

bacpacker
10-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Sounds good. Pork shoulder is great.

Sniper-T
10-10-2014, 10:07 PM
looks good Vodin. That's almost the same seasoning medley that I used for my breakfast sausages. Next time post up some pics of your process!

Sniper-T
10-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Quick question... What do you figure your cost per pound was to make it? We go thru a lot of breakfast sausage around here, and pay about $3.50 a pound. Sounds like a good recipe.

go down to your local butcher and price out the pork... and you can either make patties (lots less work) or links.

Assuming you have the grinder and the spices, the cost to make patties is the cost of the pork...

If you want to make links and you have a stuffer then add a cost of something from here (or the ilk):
http://www.cabelas.ca/search?q=sausage

straight pork??? I would guestimate I could make it for less than a buck a pound... 1/2 that if I bought the meat from the Huds.

Vodin
10-11-2014, 12:16 AM
If your looking at the cost I will tell you right now Jimmy Deans is cheaper.

What makes this better for me is that I know what kind of meat is in it. The fact that the meat is not chewy like pre-made brands. And I make it the way it tastes best to me. Butcher the 14 pound pork shoulder after leaving out a bit of fat and the bones I had 10 pounds. The ground it (manually makes you like it that much more) added spices let it rest in fridge over nite. Took a small bit and cooked it up for a taste test. Added spices it needed the ziplocked, scored then froze.

The term scored means for me to indent sections of the meat in the 1 gallon ziplock baggie. When you want a piece it is frozen you just snap off the scored section and put rest back in freezer.

Comfort of the product ingredients and taste is what makes this the best choice. Pork Shoulder was onsale for about $40 for 10 pounds so about $4.00 a pound plus the spices.

Also I ground beef chuck into hamburger meat. You cant imagine the test.

- - - Updated - - -

You heard about the wood pulp additive to meat and the meat glue right?
:)

Sniper-T
10-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Vodin... any colonies near you? you can cut your meat cost drastically if there are!

Vodin
10-11-2014, 12:36 AM
looks good Vodin. That's almost the same seasoning medley that I used for my breakfast sausages. Next time post up some pics of your process!

Next run to Sam's and I will have another batch of Pork Shoulder. It will be a documentary :)

bacpacker
10-11-2014, 12:58 AM
Brain has started running.
Note to self, stop thinking about meat!

Sniper-T
10-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Mmmmm.... Meat!

Vodin
10-11-2014, 02:33 AM
Vodin... any colonies near you? you can cut your meat cost drastically if there are!

Sorry for the ignorance... colonies? I am doing this with my wife and we are all. I am keeping an eye out for others with a similar urge but none observed at this point.

Sniper-T
10-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Hutterite... Mennonite... Amish...

I can buy a whole hog from a local colony on the hoof for what I'd pay for a fraction of that in wrapped meat at Costco. They also sell 1/2's and 1/4's.