PDA

View Full Version : Storage Containers/Box Projects

The Stig
07-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Anybody tackle building a custom storage box/container/bin/rack for their car, van or truck?

I am very tempted to do this for my Rav4 although the addition of any type of box will use up a ton of the somewhat limited amount of space in the rear compartment. I'm not sure how practical it is.

I saw this on a different forum and was very inspired. I've already bought the supplies to build something similar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/parapyropig/IMG_2723.jpg

Anyway, anybody have some fancy homebuilt storage options they'd like to share with the whole class?

LUNCHBOX
07-26-2011, 04:17 AM
A guy I work with has something similar in his jeep, it looks cool but he says its not a grab and go function. Said if you just want everyday storage then ok. Just make sure anything strapped in you can walk away from if you had to move quick. Of course with you Stig I'm sure your BOB will be ready to roll un-attached.

Stg1swret
08-04-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm in the planning stages for a box for the cab of my pick up.

ak474u
08-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I'd really like to have a truck vault, but they are ridonkulously priced, like 1700 shipped for an Xterra. I have a pistol safe in the truck for long term parking and the occasional can't carry situation, but it won't hold a long gun. I'm trying to figure out a storage solution that incorporates a secure storage for at least 1 rifle, and a cabinet or box of some sort for some of my more valuable gear.

WvBoy
10-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Keep in mind that anything not secure will move.

I've seen several tactical vehicle rollovers and hard hits. Toolboxes, coolers, rifles, and many other things do a lot of damage bouncing around inside the vehicle.

digdug18
02-06-2012, 01:35 AM
I've made mounting points similar to the top post for the wife's car, one being for the umbrella stroller to stand upright and look totally stock, velcroed in place. I've considered doing something like that with my car BOB/GHB but haven't gone that far as of yet, the above picture has me thinking though.

ak474u
02-06-2012, 03:44 AM
I've actually got a friend that is giving me a RIDGID jobsite toolbox that is 36" wide, 18" high, and i think 16" deep. It's too tall for my truck, if I want to carry anything else, so I am going to take it to my Uncle-in-law, and have him plasma cut the height of it down to 10"-12" high, and weld in a new plate steel bottom, a new paint job, and some grooves to hold dividers in the box. This is the type of box that takes 2 of the "C" locks that are inset into the body of the box, and will make a nice parking lot type storage solution for a folding stock long gun or two, as well as a few other choice pieces of gear that I feel like I need to protect during the day, and would feel better having along in the truck for SHTF, since I spent the busy time of year on the road around town and up to 100 miles away at any given time. Once I can afford to do the mods on the box, I'll post pics as a new thread.

Evolver
02-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Anybody tackle building a custom storage box/container/bin/rack for their car, van or truck?

I am very tempted to do this for my Rav4 although the addition of any type of box will use up a ton of the somewhat limited amount of space in the rear compartment. I'm not sure how practical it is.

I saw this on a different forum and was very inspired. I've already bought the supplies to build something similar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/parapyropig/IMG_2723.jpg

Anyway, anybody have some fancy homebuilt storage options they'd like to share with the whole class?

Thats a really good idea. Your GHB and first aid kit would be two of the good items to be stored there for easy access. I say go for it! :)

Car top cargo boxes are good too for some SUV. I built a nice arrow dynamic one from plywood and the top cover was cordura sealed acrosed the front and lashed down the sided and back. It had a sloped front and slightly sloped sides. You do need to be careful though they do make your center of gravity higher.

GunnerMax
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I have a Delta Black diamond truck box for my truck that I use. But before I left, I could not get the damn thing open. I now know why the guy sold it for $80 when it looked impeccable..

izzyscout21
02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I have a Delta Black diamond truck box for my truck that I use. But before I left, I could not get the damn thing open. I now know why the guy sold it for $80 when it looked impeccable..

sounds like a candidate for the GIANT Faraday cage..........

Sniper-T
02-06-2012, 03:43 PM
I have a wooden box from 7.62X39 surp screwed down to the floor in the backseat of my tacoma. and then have another one that sits on top, bungied down with a HD bungie. These hold all my usual truck stuff (tools, fluids, etc). a backpack on the floor on either side, clipped to the box handles, holds my bob gear.

GunnerMax
02-06-2012, 09:34 PM
lol izzy. when I get back, im going to get that damn thing open. I think its a locking issue. But new truck boxes are less than $100 on Craigslist.