PDA

View Full Version : any woodworkers here?

robsdak
11-27-2014, 12:26 PM
anybody do woodworking, scroll sawing, spoon carving?

i do, did years ago and looking to get back into it. just thought a conversation might be in order.

i picked up some Birch to try my hand at spoon/kitchen utensil carving. it's sitting in the garage drying. debating on which knives too get Mora's 162, 163 or a set from Del at Deep Woods.

if made of wood, i can build it. i have access to a good sized shop with most of the tools needed. recently i have made feeder tops and winter bottoms for bee hives.

it's not like i don't have enough hobbies, i get bored easily. :)

Sniper-T
11-27-2014, 12:32 PM
I used to do some... years ago too. Still have all my old knives and chisels around. Just not enough time in the day. Ironically enough, I just picked up a scroll saw off a local forum for free, a couple weeks back.

robsdak
11-27-2014, 12:36 PM
i've had all the tools at one time. i 'grew up' and sold them all, when i went too work. never had the time, i was always gone of working somewhere. i am in the process of setting up a small deal in the garage. variable speed scroll, band saw, drill press etc. just to do some christmas ornaments and small shelves. nothing like sitting cutting wood. LOL

same here. i picked a Craftsman 16" variable speed scroll saw for $40. couldn't beat the price and it looked like it hadn't been used a lot.

Sniper-T
11-27-2014, 01:31 PM
I picked up a 220V 5' bed Wood Lathe about 3 years ago, and still haven't even set it up...
lol

Domeguy
11-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Yes, I am a fellow practitioner of the dark art of wood working. I say dark art because there is a magic to it I just haven't got figured out yet. I can plane the board, get it square, everything measured just right, cut to perfection, everything true as can be, then but it all together and I'll be damned if one leg is shorter or something is off center, or some other thing. I go through 3-4 board stretchers every year. But I have been hooked since jr. High shop class. I have 2 shopsmiths I work off of, and the usual bandsaw and other things. I got back into it after I had to retire suddenly and found myself with nothing to do. I mostly make toys, but I also have a few people who contact me when they want something special made for them. If anyone is curious, you can find pictures on my Etsy site under the name of Giant Elf Toys.

Sniper-T
11-27-2014, 03:01 PM
^ As the Newfie Carpenter says:
"I cut the board once, and it too short. I cut the board again, and it still too short..."

bacpacker
11-27-2014, 03:13 PM
I used to do quite a bit, but times changed and other stuff got in the way, mostly work. I made some shadow box stuff for my moms and grandmas coolectables, bookcases, and some tables. Stepdad got really into it and made some killer old school pie safes. I learned tin punching thru that.
I hope to get back into it down the road.

Fidel MD
11-27-2014, 03:36 PM
I build cabinets - mostly bookshelves for our collection of medical and scientific textbooks. Have a nice enough shop (now), one of these days I will build a 50x60 building divided into mechanical, woodworking, paint shops and a little storage room/office/bath and a glass making shop for my wife.

ak474u
11-27-2014, 04:39 PM
One of my buddies builds pretty cool stuff with pallet wood and other salvaged wood. He built a table in his garage, and it was level. He finished it, and moved it inside, and it wasn't level. He took it to the garage, and strangely enough, it was level again. I guess nobody told him the garage floor is sloped toward the door. I laughed and laughed and laughed some more

robsdak
11-28-2014, 10:38 PM
not to yank my own chain. i was told by my mom 'you have a gift from God in your hands'. i can see it and build it. i like to make bigger things smaller, 30" shelf i will reduce down to 16". scale the thickness down accordingly. i am getting a LATE start, but wanting to do ornaments for Christmas.

i have looked at a Midi Lathe. in the running is Penn State, Delta and a China brand. but, there is a gut that has a full size Craftsman variable speed, w/quality tools and some other accessories for $200. thinking i want to save a few bucks and go bigger/used. still will have to get small turning tools to do what i am wanting to do.

bacpacker
11-29-2014, 04:10 AM
I looked into doing similar stuff. I really like the Jet mini lathe. I think it will do up to 18" IIRC. Mini tools cost nearly what full size does.

Illini Warrior
11-29-2014, 02:18 PM
before buying China made from some retail outlet check with your regional woodworking machinery distributor .... many of the professional machinery manufacturers also have a line of equipment for the smaller shops .... worlds above the Jet & Grizzly .... the distributor should also have a selection of used - shops grow and the smaller stuff needs to be moved out ...

ANEURYSM
12-01-2014, 07:48 PM
i was told by my mom 'you have a gift from God in your hands'. i can see it and build it. .

God must have made us out of the same batch of cookie dough. I have the same talent to see a picture then in my head recreate it and then make it out of wood with no plans..

robsdak
12-02-2014, 03:38 AM
God must have made us out of the same batch of cookie dough. I have the same talent to see a picture then in my head recreate it and then make it out of wood with no plans..

it's just a gift i have. i can't explain it, it's just there. :)

Sniper-T
12-02-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking it displaced the modesty gene...

rofl

robsdak
12-02-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm thinking it displaced the modesty gene...

rofl

you'd be RIGHT SIR...:) never had that one. i always wondered where it got off too. i will post pictures as soon as i get some.

eagle326
12-02-2014, 02:08 PM
you'd be RIGHT SIR...:) never had that one. i always wondered where it got off too. i will post pictures as soon as i get some.

Break out the sunglasses Ants ; Those should be some blinding ass pictures. :cool:

Sniper-T
12-02-2014, 04:24 PM
ass pictures??? Did someone say ass pictures?

ladyhk13
12-02-2014, 08:07 PM
I love woodworking. I have a scrollsaw, tried my hand at chiseling and when BWRR and I got married I came with all of my own power tools. I took plain flat cabinet doors, added several types of mouldings, did a 7 layer paint technique and ended up with a French Provential look. I made my dad a Victorian corner shelf with my scrollsaw out of red oak...holy crap, talk about a hard wood! I would do more stuff if I still had my workshop set up but next place one will be organized. My grandfather and father were both master carpenters - as a hobby.

Sniper-T
12-02-2014, 11:53 PM
lets see some pics LH...

robsdak
12-03-2014, 03:56 AM
ass picture's... really ST?

Sniper-T
12-03-2014, 10:46 AM
<-- haven't you seen the write-up bestowed upon me?

robsdak
12-03-2014, 11:03 AM
<-- haven't you seen the write-up bestowed upon me?

STOP IT! your killing me here. LMAO!

ladyhk13
12-10-2014, 01:21 AM
lets see some pics LH...

I never thought to take pics. I gave the shelf to May dad who is gone now, the carving I never finished and no idea which woodpile it ended up in, I sold the house that I did the cabinets in right after I finished them....that really sucked after doing all that work!

Sniper-T
12-10-2014, 01:45 AM
^
Ouch!

Gunfixr
12-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Used to when young, starting around 10 through teen years. My grandfather had a pretty good shop, and saw my interest and was teaching me stuff. Started getting me tools for birthday and Christmas. Not carving, but general woodworking. He used to sell things at local shows, sold a lot of shadowbox and some doll houses.
I never did those, but did used to make working models of folding knives. The "blade" would open up and and lock, just like the real thing. Made a 1911 with a working slide, a Thompson smg, right at life size with removable stock and magazine. Stuff like that.
I can work from a picture, either on paper or in my head. Can do that with metal also. Just always have been able to. The guns I would look at the picture, get the barrel length, and scale the rest.
When the family finally had to move him to an assisted living home, I got a bunch of his tools, but didn't have a place to put much, so couldn't get all I wanted. Like the rest of us I guess, wished I had gotten more. My shop could do quite a bit, but I haven't done much since then. Done a few things around the house, built some shelves, designed and built the workshop.
I work more metal now. Have built metal stuff as well, custom shower rods, did custom kitchen counter, with sunk in sink, in tile. That had some woodworking, since the sink my wife wanted was a top mount sink, I had to custom install it.

Sniper-T
12-11-2014, 03:40 AM
got some pics of the sink? sounds like what my wife wants...

izzyscout21
12-14-2014, 04:41 PM
I can't work wood to save my life...

Gunfixr
12-15-2014, 03:58 PM
got some pics of the sink? sounds like what my wife wants...

I don't think I took pics, but there it is, in the kitchen. I'll have to take some and upload them.

So, there might not be any "in process" pics.