PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors

The Stig
07-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Neighbors

I've never quite understood the paranoia and uber-suspicion of some of the tin-foil lunatics. The idea of a lone wolf taking on the world Hollywood style strikes me as a bit daft.

That opinion was reinforced tonight.

Example 1:

Just bought a new riding lawn mower. My push mower, with which I was barely able to keep up with the yard, finally gave out (well, it works but the self-propel unit died and it's a tank). So I broke down and got the new rider.

It was delivered today. Right after work I go out, scan over the instructions, and then start filling up the gas tank. Long story short...the seam of the gas tank is busted and gas poured out everywhere. Swell. So I go out and start pushing the yard with this massive hunk of not-self propelled hatred. Neighbor drives by, see the rider with the hood up, me sweating to death and says, "come with me". Next thing I know I'm driving his Toro ZTR mower around my yard like a retard in a sprinkler. Cut my yard in like 10 minutes.

He doesn't know me at all. Doesn't know if I'll tear up his stuff. Just offered.

Example 2:

Next door neighbor is a HVAC guy. Of course he's my new best friend given this is the deep south. Long time ago he offered to inspect my heatpump and furnace and make sure I had a list of parts to purchase and have available "just in case". Now he said this like 3 months ago and never brought it up again. Tonight, after discussing the cool ZTR mower he says, "what you doing Saturday, I want to come check you your heat pump like I said."

He could have never said anything and I was going to wait a while longer before asking since he works with HVAC all day long.

But he was true to his word and brought it up again when he didn't have to.

Just thought it was really nice of them to offer to help out. That it is the south, and us Southerners rule might have something to do with it too. :)

Those of you actually from the South are free to laugh at this since I know I'll never ever ever be a Southerner

piranha2
07-27-2011, 01:31 AM
That is very close to the truth.

bacpacker
07-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Stig I think your right on with the Southerner. Seriously, there are plenty of retarded a-holes down here to. Sounds to me like you have a couple o good neighbors. Always good to have around.

Last year my mower broke one Saturday while out mowing. My next door neighbor was mowing his yard as well. Soon as he finished his he came over and finished mine up. Never said a word. I had took off to go get parts for mine, got back and he was done. You can't have too many good ones.

Stg1swret
07-27-2011, 02:55 AM
You either get blessed with good neighbors, or cursed with bad one's. Sounds like you are truely blessed. i on the other hand am cursed. Guy next to me was pissed about my truck being parked out in the alleyway, think he'd say something to me? No, instead he calls the local municipality and they tow it away no notice, and i get stuck with tow charges and storage fees for a day. This guy also does not maintain his house or property. He is to busy as the local Democratic committeeman. Like I said I'm cursed.

Twitchy
07-27-2011, 03:51 AM
You either get blessed with good neighbors, or cursed with bad one's. Sounds like you are truely blessed. i on the other hand am cursed. Guy next to me was pissed about my truck being parked out in the alleyway, think he'd say something to me? No, instead he calls the local municipality and they tow it away no notice, and i get stuck with tow charges and storage fees for a day. This guy also does not maintain his house or property. He is to busy as the local Democratic committeeman. Like I said I'm cursed.

I live in the white ghetto... 3 drug dealers, and we get the rough looking minorities around here... they have all been breaking into everyone's cars and everything... So i guess im cursed... bunch of rowdy sheeple teens running around vandalizing everything, and getting high and getting into fights almost weekly... 5 years ago it was a nice, quiet neighborhood... Its changed... The good people died or moved...

timbow
08-21-2011, 10:25 PM
I solved my neighbor issues my having the same ones in three different houses. We first met when we were building homes at the same time kitty-corner from each other. Great people - kids the same age as ours - he's a mechanic (I am not). Three years later, he built on the lot right next to us. Seven years later, they wanted to downsize (apparently his wife can't read plans and the house they did build was bigger yet). They said 'we can't move without you' - I don't know if I'd say the same about too many people. Anyhow, my neighbor found a 40 acre parcel with one split available. Deer, bunnies, squirrels, and kiyoutes in abundance and even a place to put a house or two. Needles to say, I was sold. We were now neighbors for a third time. They ended up buying a place on some water about four years ago and renting out their place next to mine. With the crappy MI economy, the renters have relocated and they have both places up for sale and could end up our neighbors again. Fine by me.

alpmco
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Lucky! My neighbors are all blue hairs ... except the brother and sister across the street. They are in their 20's and mom and dad pay for the house. Six years ago after hurricane Charlie it was me and my chain saw clearing a path for them to get out of their house and be able to back the Buick or Mercury out to go eat. I don't know if I could do that as easily any more. Six years has made a big difference in my physical abilities.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-23-2011, 11:30 PM
The road we live on is a well, well, well established road, front half about 1/2 mile down to an old Baptist Church. Mostly blue hairs and a few good ol' boys, although I have yet to meet any neighbors. The back half, well I call them (and I'll change the street name and moniker for my own privacy and protection) the Bally Rd Bandits...different name, same idea...meth heads, gang banger types who live in the cheap rental housing. Good news is the cops are 250 yds away as the crow flies...so needless to say 3-4 times a week the cops go whizzing by the house, lights and sirens blazing. We get walk by's a lot too which drives the boxers nuts. The 9 month old goes balls to the wall at the fence and usually sends them to the other side of the road. I have had a nice Honda push mower stolen and 2 pair of Nike's taken out from under the car port. Pissed me off they took my shoes moreso than the $500 mower.

Kodiak
08-25-2011, 06:12 AM
My neighbor on the left is a b*tch, only spoke to her once and that was ten years ago. We moved in, it was our first house and it needed some fixing up. She came over and introduced herself, then proceeded to ask me WHEN, not if, i was going to put new siding on the house. Needless to say we havnt spoke since.

My other neighbor isnt much better, only time that old hag has anything to say is to complain about our two dogs barking. They are literally out in the yard a total of maybe 30 mins a day. Grant it they are beagles, and they are loud, Lunchbox can attest to that. But still, give me a break.