PDA

View Full Version : A little worried...

ak474u
12-23-2014, 03:30 AM
So we've been canning salsa, and pickling peppers lately. Everything is high-acid, and there is vinegar, and lime juice added to our recipes, but never in large quantities. We sterilize the jars per Ball's recommendations, use new lids, and water bath can for 15 to 20 minutes and our lids are sealing correctly, with the desired "pop" etc. we've been using our neighbors as a tasting panel of sorts to get our recipes just right, but the more I study canning, the more afraid I'm becoming that we're gonna kill one of our neighbors with botulism. Should I be afraid?

Anyone see something I've missed?

jamesneuen
12-23-2014, 09:54 AM
I have a few cans of salsa that were done 13? years ago by my mother doing a water bath. Just had one last month. Haven't died yet. Anything non-acidic I bring up to normal cooking temp before eating though.

helomech
12-23-2014, 06:14 PM
If you are following the directions you have nothing to worry about.

Vodin
12-23-2014, 09:20 PM
If it bothers you that much remember. Verify the lid is down before you open, look, smell and if all passes taste. Or if your really anal buy a pH Meter and preform test reading at all all stages of canning. My wife has the pH points for all of the canning recipes. If you want I can post em for ya. (Ya I am kinda anal. We also pressure can.)

ElevenBravo
12-23-2014, 10:18 PM
You guys are great, I like the willingness to help one another!

Being new Im learning on the side line.

EB

bacpacker
12-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Vodin, 0 lease post the PH chart. We've been canning for years and my mom and grandma a lot longer than that. Never saw that before.

BTW, the wife says she would not be concerned unless something just don't look right.

helomech
12-24-2014, 02:05 AM
She is right backpacker, if it isn't good it will look or smell off.

Sniper-T
12-24-2014, 03:24 AM
I ate my mom's canning for 40 years... and it was all waterbath. tomatoes, salsa, etc...

after 5+ years the product seemed darker, especially on top... but if it 'popped' and smelled ok... we ate it.

never any worries.

ak474u
12-24-2014, 12:49 PM
I ate my mom's canning for 40 years... and it was all waterbath. tomatoes, salsa, etc...

after 5+ years the product seemed darker, especially on top... but if it 'popped' and smelled ok... we ate it.

never any worries.

I hear ha, my grandparents lived into their 90s eating home canned food and hams cured in a wooden crate, packed with salt, and stored in a hay loft. I just like my neighbors and was a little concerned.

Vodin
12-24-2014, 07:58 PM
My wife forwarded the info to me here is the pH info:
http://www.pickyourown.org/ph_of_foods.htm

Here is the meter we use:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-pH600AQ-Tester-Calibration/dp/B005H78ZI0

After every use clean the meters probes/bulb it can effect future readings if you don't clean it.